Treadmill workout

Options
I have a treadmill. Not a huge fan of it due to the fact my knees dislocate easily and always afraid I will on the treadmill. I am trying to use ti though. But I am so out of shape, I get winded easily and can only handle it for about 5 minutes at a time. This will get better over time right? I know you are supose to walk and not hang on to bars, which I do do...in fears of hurting my knees. That seems to make me tired too. Ugh. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Is your running form good? If it's not, look up a couple of videos on how to properly nail it, I know that it can cause problems like knee injuries. Another thing, are your shoes supporting your ankles properly?

If that's all fine, have you gone to a doctor about your knees dislocating easily? I'm not sure if I'm helpful, as I don't use a treadmill.
  • ReenieReenie05
    ReenieReenie05 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Let me just start off by saying "I HATE RUNNING," ok now that we've gotten that out of the way we may proceed. First thing is first, make sure you have proper fitting shoes! This is probably the most important thing, find a shoe that gives YOU the proper support based on the way you walk/run, how the foot of your arch is, ect. (I have a local store that does step foot mapping and video analysis to get you the best fitting shoe-I was also told that for running you should increase your shoe size by 1/2 a size). Secondly, as MonsterBoogie mentioned make sure that you have the proper form, if not this could lead to other aches and pains elsewhere. Dont worry so much about your pace just getting on the treadmill and doing your time with proper fitting shoes and proper form will suffice for now. In Sept/2013 I was averaging about 1.6 miles in 30min and my goal was to eventually run a 10min mile and on 06/26/14 I ran my all time personal best in 28 minutes and 53 seconds I ran 3.01miles! Even if you have to stop and then get on again the point is to keep at it, dont try to do too much to fast. Lastly breathe in thorough your nose and out through your mouth. :)
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You should check with your doctor about using the treadmill since you have the knee problem. If he ok's it then just keep at it your stamina will buidl and you will be able to go longer/faster. If you can only do 5 minutes take a break and try for 5 more minutes then maybe next week you will be able to do 10 minutes all at once. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill. Not a huge fan of it due to the fact my knees dislocate easily and always afraid I will on the treadmill. I am trying to use ti though. But I am so out of shape, I get winded easily and can only handle it for about 5 minutes at a time. This will get better over time right? I know you are supose to walk and not hang on to bars, which I do do...in fears of hurting my knees. That seems to make me tired too. Ugh. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I'm assuming you're walking and not running...and I don't know anything about running except it was invented as a torture device by the Greeks.

Yes, it gets better over time, and it doesn't take that long either. I'd start out by setting a time goal. Go slower for a longer period until you can go faster. When I first started walking, I was probably going at a 2.5 speed for 30 minutes. Now, 2 months later, I'm at a 5-6 for an hour without even thinking about it.

You might find at a slower pace you don't need to hang on, but if you do, well, it's better to hang on and do it than not hang on and sit on the couch. :) I also think it's mainly for running that you don't hang on. Just make sure you're hanging on for balance and not to take some of your weight off the treadmill.
  • sixxfan4ever
    sixxfan4ever Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I havent seen a doctor because this is a problem I had most my life. That Is why I dont rollerblade, rollerskate, down hill ski. Anything moving under my feet tends to make them go out. BUT...I have popped them out just walking on carpet. Mind you it hasnt in like 18 years...knock on wood. Idk I just seem like it takes forever to just a mile on a treadmill, maybe because I am not literally walking forward like a normal walk? Sigh. Thank you all for the advice. Helpfull. Just keep plugging along... Thanks again.
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't beat yourself up for hanging onto the rails. It's super important to not hurt yourself, especially while you're just starting out! If you end up with an injury, then it's even harder to get in shape.
    Sounds like you're working to accept yourself where you're at, and progress slowly from there. That's awesome! Stay positive. Also, you might want to try something with less impact like swimming or biking?