5 Week Prediction Accuracy

Options
How accurate have your 5 week predictions been (assuming you've been roughly following your daily calorie guidelines)?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Think of it more as a rough estimate because unless you do the very same thing each day for 5 weeks that's really all it is. It's more of an incentive:wink: Some have shared it hits the mark for them at times, others share it's way off. Personally I don't pay much attention to it because it's never seemed that accurate for me.:wink:
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Mine's way off! I think it depends on the exercise you are doing too!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Mine is nearly spot on.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    mine was underestimating but now it is about right..... unfortunately!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How accurate have your 5 week predictions been (assuming you've been roughly following your daily calorie guidelines)?

Up until I I had just 5lbs left to lose, it was fairly accurate. However, my weightloss has slowed considerably, but it's okay because as this is a lifestyle change, I will just continue.

I really should have reached my goal (according to that little phrase) several weeks ago, I don't care though, I love seeing that little statement :laugh:
  • mml61104
    Options
    Not accurate at all! It says I should be losing 2-3lbs per week based on it's estimate, and I am only at 1 lb per week. It's kinda annoying actually.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It is fairly accurate for me
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Mine is way off as well. I lose weight at about 1/2 the speed it says I should, if that (and I am set to lose 1 pound a week and eating most of the calories for that). :(
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Think of it more as a rough estimate because unless you do the very same thing each day for 5 weeks that's really all it is. It's more of an incentive:wink: Some have shared it hits the mark for them at times, others share it's way off. Personally I don't pay much attention to it because it's never seemed that accurate for me.:wink:

It's always way off for me. I refuse to eat the same things every day and burn the same calories everyday as well. Some days I don't even bother hitting complete.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point with that little statement actually.

It says, (once you press the button to complete your food for the day), "if EVERY DAY were like today, you will weigh blah blah blah in five weeks time"

The bit - "Every day" - is vitally important here. It means, doing the same exercise and taking in the same amount of calories every day for five weeks and you will weigh (approximately) that at the end of it.

However, I don't know about anybody else, but I have days off from exercise in the week, therefore, not EVERY DAY will be the same.

It is a little encouragement statement, telling you that if you continue in that way, every day for the next five weeks you will weigh whatever it states, as it bases its calculations on the information you inputted when you first joined MFP.

Great little touch :flowerforyou:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

VERY inaccurate. I have lost ZERO pounds in the 9 weeks I've been here, and it says I should be 12 lbs lighter. :angry:
    Every time I step on the scale, I get very angry and want to cry.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Mine is generally pretty close. Five weeks ago it projected I would weigh 203.9 today, actual weigt was 203.2 - pretty close! I usually only check it on Sundays since that is my weigh in day - and the most I've been off is a about 1 1/2 lbs
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

VERY inaccurate. I have lost ZERO pounds in the 9 weeks I've been here, and it says I should be 12 lbs lighter. :angry:
    Every time I step on the scale, I get very angry and want to cry.
    Wow, that doesn't sound right at all. 9 weeks and no weight loss? I'd be pissed too!:laugh: You eating all your cals, changing up your workouts etc.? If nothing else check in with the doc to see about your thyroid if everything has been tried and not made a difference. Wow, 9 weeks... sorry to hear that. :frown:
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    you can do what i did which is every day when you hit that button, write down the number it gives you and when the 5 weeks go by...compare the numbers. i did this test for a week a couple times. the first time was pretty close, the second was no where near.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes on the days i don't exercise and go slightly over my calories, it says I'll weigh 7 pounds less. I thought you'd gain if you go over, and not exercise..wow. I guess mine comes pretty close to that number, but haven't really tested it. I think i should start lol I do eat mostly the same thing everyday and mostly stay under calories.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I dont eat the same things every day. Generally, i stay in the 1200-1400 range but since i do have good calorie burn days on occasion, sometimes i am over that number. I have to say i giggled yesterday, when after a major hike, it said "if every day were like today" i would weigh some 20 pounds less in 5 weeks! Was the first time it gave me a number in the 160s and as nice as it was to see that number, there is no way in hell i am hiking that mountain every day for the next 5 weeks LOL... but can you imagine how good of SHAPE i would be in by then if i did?!!?! Hmmm.... ;)
  • Jennili7
    Options
    I did a little investigation since I wasn't sure if my 5 week predictions have been accurate.. I write down the info on the days that I workout so all of these are days that I was good on calories and went to the gym. here's what I found...

6/15 - prediction was 167.9 - on 7/20 I was at 170.2
    7/16 - prediction was 162.8 - on 8/20 I was at 168.6
    8/13 - prediction was 160 - on 9/17 I was at 164
    9/16 - prediction was 153.9 - on 10/21 I was at 159.2

So considering that these predictions were on days that I was doing my best across the board...I would say that the predictions were pretty close. I bet if I checked every day for 2 weeks and did some math then I'd find that my predictions are in line. Hope this helps! Happy calorie counting!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!