Doctor's advice

Options
2»

Replies

• TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    You should listen to your doctor. I am sure that somewhere on the site, My Fitness Pal has a statement that tells you that this isn't medical advice and you should consult a doctor.

Being HUNGRY is not an uncommon thing when losing weight. When you eat less, your body will get used to eating less. Your stomach will shrink and you won't be as hungry.

If you cut out junk food and eat healthy food, you will easily be able to fill up on 1100 calories a day. So you have any idea how many fruits and veggies you can eat for just 200 calories? A LOT.

I know that many people here will tell you you shouldn't give up cakes and cookies and ice cream and potato chips, because it just isn't possible and nobody can actually eat healthy food all the time, that a healthy-eating lifestyle is simply UNSUSTAINABLE PERIOD. But, people can and do make lifestyle changes that include healthy eating. Does it mean you never, ever get a little piece of cake? No. But you don't get one every week or two, much less every day. (Maybe, with diabetes you never get the cake. I don't know.). MANY people eat healthy. Many, many people do it. They do it all the time. It is attainable. It should be your goal if the doctor is telling you to so that.

You are overweight. You have diabetes. Your eating is seriously affecting your health. I'd you don't quit, you'll probably have a heart attack, likely before you're fifty. You could lose a limb. People here never talk about heart attacks or the effects of these moderate indulgences on their arteries, much less diabetic complications. They're all about moderation, and f it leaves you with a moderate amount of diabetes and heart disease, well...you should go see a doctor when that happens.

The cardiologist will tell you, after the heart attack, that you need to switch all your eating habits. Don't wait for that. Do it now, like the doctor says, and skip the heart attack.

I don't think there is anything wrong, personally, with eating what you want and ignoring the doctors. Both my parents refused to follow any dietary suggestions, lol. I'm not saying you're a bad person!

But if you are smart, want to be a healthy and avoid all that trouble later, you will listen to the doctor and follow her advice.

It's okay to be hungry when you start losing weight. You will live through it and be better off later.

If you really think your doctor is off, get a second opinion. But do not follow Internet advice over your doctor's advice.

I wish you all the luck in the world, whatever route you choose!

1000 cal a day is an old school diet plan I was given as a teenager. I am now 41 and dr.s should know better. 1000 cal a day sets you up for starvation and failure. Fit people in their normal BMI range eat more than that! You should be eating for life not quick drastic weight loss. This sets you up for regain and does not teach you how to eat for the weight you want to be. Get a nutritionist. A good GP sees you for general issues and knows when to refer you to an expert. GPs are not experts.
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    she is discriminating against you. When I weighed 330 I had an appointment and I actually was healthy. Great blood pressure, cholesterol, no diabetes (for now) and I exercised 5 days a week in aqua aerobics. My doctor came in and assumed I did not exercise. Just blurted out why don't you exercise? I said because. She sad not even 1/2 hr a day I said NOPE. She said 15 min? I again said nope! I was not upset she thought I needed to loose weight. I did need to loose weight. I was upset she assumed I did not exercise. You got bad advice from someone who is discriminating against you. If what you are doing is working then keep on doing it and be proud
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is what annoys me about diabetic review - fellow 32 yr old diabetic here (type 1). It's never "well done for all the weight you've lost" or "fantastic! great HBA1C results". Always "If you don't lose weight you'll go blind/lose limbs/have kidney failure. Every time I go they reduce me to tears.

I'd like to say "Awesome job on the weight you've lost so far, that will have great benefits to your long-term health; whatever you're doing, keep it up!"
    It's really tough to lose weight and balance sugar levels - great job!

Losing weight too quickly is seriously dangerous for us - I'd definitely get a second opinion.
    Don't let them drag you down :flowerforyou:
    Do you have any idea how many people, when they are actually dying, say they wished they'd worked harder and didn't think it would really happen to them?

How many spouses blame themselves for not making the person do it? And live with that (misplaced) guilt forever?

The doctors do. They stand there while someone they encouraged to lose weight is dying and crying about how they wished they'd done better. Too late now. They're dying. Can't help them.

But maybe they can help you. Maybe, if they tell you enough to eat healthy food and warn you what will happen if you don't, they won't have to stand in front of your bed while you cry about how you wish you'd done better. At least when you're dying and saying you didn't think it would be you, they can remind themselves that they did warn you and it was your choice...and they won't have to feel like they failed you because they did their job, you failed yourself.

That's why they do it. They know where it's going and they want to be sure they aren't the cause...because it's hard to watch dying people cry about it and think "I wish I'd done more. Maybe I could've saved this person." They have to know that they tried and you just weren't wanting to saved because you preferred eating Oreos. It was your choice.

(I don't mean You, personally, you! I just mean people.)

Just try to see it from the other side, you know?
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    This is what annoys me about diabetic review - fellow 32 yr old diabetic here (type 1). It's never "well done for all the weight you've lost" or "fantastic! great HBA1C results". Always "If you don't lose weight you'll go blind/lose limbs/have kidney failure. Every time I go they reduce me to tears.

I'd like to say "Awesome job on the weight you've lost so far, that will have great benefits to your long-term health; whatever you're doing, keep it up!"

Losing weight too quickly is seriously dangerous for us - I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Do you have any idea how many people, when they are actually dying, say they wished they'd worked harder and didn't think it would really happen to them?

How many spouses blame themselves for not makine person do it? And live with that (misplaced) guilt forever?

The doctors do. They stand there while someone they encouraged to lose weight is dying and crying about how they wished they'd done better. Too late now. They're dying. Can't help them.

But maybe they can help you. Maybe, if they tell you enough to eat healthy food and warn you what will happen if you don't, they won't have to stand in front of your bed while you cry about how you wish you'd done better. At least when you're dying and saying you didn't think it would be you, they can remind themselves that they did warn you and it was your choice...and they won't have to feel like they failed you because they did their job, you failed yourself.

That's why they do it. They know where it's going and they want to be sure they aren't the cause...because it's hard to watch dying people cry about it and think "I wish I'd done more. Maybe I could've saved this person." They have to know that they tried and you just weren't wanting to saved because you preferred eating Oreos. It was your choice.

Sorry that's crazy talk! Shaming and bullying people into loosing weight does way more harm then good!!!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doctor is full of crap.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your doctor. I am sure that somewhere on the site, My Fitness Pal has a statement that tells you that this isn't medical advice and you should consult a doctor.

Being HUNGRY is not an uncommon thing when losing weight. When you eat less, your body will get used to eating less. Your stomach will shrink and you won't be as hungry.

If you cut out junk food and eat healthy food, you will easily be able to fill up on 1100 calories a day. So you have any idea how many fruits and veggies you can eat for just 200 calories? A LOT.

I know that many people here will tell you you shouldn't give up cakes and cookies and ice cream and potato chips, because it just isn't possible and nobody can actually eat healthy food all the time, that a healthy-eating lifestyle is simply UNSUSTAINABLE PERIOD. But, people can and do make lifestyle changes that include healthy eating. Does it mean you never, ever get a little piece of cake? No. But you don't get one every week or two, much less every day. (Maybe, with diabetes you never get the cake. I don't know.). MANY people eat healthy. Many, many people do it. They do it all the time. It is attainable. It should be your goal if the doctor is telling you to so that.

You are overweight. You have diabetes. Your eating is seriously affecting your health. I'd you don't quit, you'll probably have a heart attack, likely before you're fifty. You could lose a limb. People here never talk about heart attacks or the effects of these moderate indulgences on their arteries, much less diabetic complications. They're all about moderation, and f it leaves you with a moderate amount of diabetes and heart disease, well...you should go see a doctor when that happens.

The cardiologist will tell you, after the heart attack, that you need to switch all your eating habits. Don't wait for that. Do it now, like the doctor says, and skip the heart attack.

I don't think there is anything wrong, personally, with eating what you want and ignoring the doctors. Both my parents refused to follow any dietary suggestions, lol. I'm not saying you're a bad person!

But if you are smart, want to be a healthy and avoid all that trouble later, you will listen to the doctor and follow her advice.

It's okay to be hungry when you start losing weight. You will live through it and be better off later.

If you really think your doctor is off, get a second opinion. But do not follow Internet advice over your doctor's advice.

I wish you all the luck in the world, whatever route you choose!

This is the problem with so many people today. Way too many people seem to think "P.H.D" = "God". General practitioners are required to take a lamentably small amount of nutrition training to earn their degree. Which means there is a very, very high chance of them being very ill-informed and ignorant on certain medical subjects.

Should you completely disregard ALL advice a doctor gives you if it doesn't relate to their specialty? Probably not. Should you seek the second opinion of a doctor who specializes in the area in question, especially when the GP's advice sounds ridiculous and uneducated? HELL to the YES.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options

How many spouses blame themselves for not making the person do it? And live with that (misplaced) guilt forever?

I do try.
    I understand why they're doing it.
    However I've lived with a duff pancreas for a long time now; I know the scare stories. They'd get further with positive encouragement and practical advice than 'Hey fatty, you're gonna be miserable, ill and die early.' The fact that the OP is on this forum tells me she's taking her health seriously, a peek at her profile tells me she's made great progress already. She's not ignoring her health. In my personal case they deter me from seeking medical advice which can only be counter-productive.
    Maybe a need for understanding exists on both sides.
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    [/quote]
    This is the problem with so many people today. Way too many people seem to think "P.H.D" = "God". General practitioners are required to take a lamentably small amount of nutrition training to earn their degree. Which means there is a very, very high chance of them being very ill-informed and ignorant on certain medical subjects.

Should you completely disregard ALL advice a doctor gives you if it doesn't relate to their specialty? Probably not. Should you seek the second opinion of a doctor who specializes in the area in question, especially when the GP's advice sounds ridiculous and uneducated? HELL to the YES.
    [/quote]

well said! and you are loosing. If it ain't broke don't fix it
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

How many spouses blame themselves for not makine person do it? And live with that (misplaced) guilt forever?

Sorry that's crazy talk! Shaming and bullying people into loosing weight does way more harm then good!!!!

That's not shaming or bullying.

There are serious health risks with trying to sustain long-term morbid obesity.

That's why people sometimes have a medical necessity for gastric bypass etc...

I get random messages from friends in the medical field treating patients dying of cancer flipping out over BMI's over %40.

ALL. THE. TIME.

I am not naive enough to believe these things are not only related, but correctable in many cases.

At some point it does become healthier to go VLCD than sustain a BMI that high.
  • TutuMom41
    Options

That's not shaming or bullying.

There are serious health risks with trying to sustain long-term morbid obesity.

That's why people sometimes have a medical necessity for gastric bypass etc...

I get random messages from friends in the medical field treating patients dying of cancer flipping out over BMI's over %40.

ALL. THE. TIME.

I am not naive enough to believe these things are not only related, but correctable in many cases.

At some point it does become healthier to go VLCD than sustain a BMI that high.

If people have gastric bypasses and do not change their lifestyles they will GAIN IT ALL BACK!!!!!! you have to concur your demons and be willing and able to change your lifestyle forever. There is a high failure rate with in gastric bypass patients too.

And cancer does not discriminate based on weight
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would suggest asking the Dr to come up with a weekly meal plan that is nutritious and meets those calorie goals as a start. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but would be interested to see what he comes up with.
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    The OP lost a lot of weight what the hell else do you want from her???
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had basically no classes on losing weight/diets in medical school. Minimal nutrition training. I did an MS before medical school in nutrition, which really helped me.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Doctors are not well educated on nutrition. Find a Registered Dietitian (my insurance covers it even) and they can help you be more realistic. And I'm usually in a "trust the doctors, they know best" group, but not on nutrition, RDs have actual degrees in nutrition. (Unless your doc is a weight specialist, then it is different)

This doctors are NOT well educated about nutrition. Its not getting better either, the amount of hours devoted to nutrition in medical schools is decreasing. see study by Univ. of North Carolina - just google it.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I had basically no classes on losing weight/diets in medical school. Minimal nutrition training. I did an MS before medical school in nutrition, which really helped me.

Yeah my bf is less than one year from getting his MD and has had approximately 2 lectures worth of information on nutrition in his entire medical school career, and will not have any more before he graduates.

MD.'s, unless they have specialized in a particular field relating to nutrition (maybe Endos or bariatric surgeons?) , know about as much as you or me about nutrition. A smart MD will refer you to an RD rather than try to give you diet advice.