Expecting too much...?

Options
So 2 weeks ago, I started on this journey for a second time. So far, I've lost a whopping 3-4 pounds, depending on the day. About to be expected for my 2 lbs a week goal. However, I measured my waist, hips, and chest 2 weeks ago, with the following measurements: waist: 43"; hips: 40.5"; chest: 46". I measured one time during this, and saw no significant change, and didn't really expect one. This morning, being that it's been exactly 2 weeks, I figured I'd measure for record. I came up with: waist: 43.5; hips: 41; chest: 46.

Why did my waist and hips increase by .5"? That's the wrong direction. I don't remember this happening at all last time I did this. Am I going crazy here?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Its so easy to have errors in measuring yourself, if the tape isn't held in exactly the same spot or its a very flexible tape and you pull it tighter one time vs another. I like to go by the way clothes fit. Find a pair of jeans you can't quite fit into - and try them again on the 1st of each month. Not sure 2 weeks is really enough to tell a difference though.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Its so easy to have errors in measuring yourself, if the tape isn't held in exactly the same spot or its a very flexible tape and you pull it tighter one time vs another. I like to go by the way clothes fit. Find a pair of jeans you can't quite fit into - and try them again on the 1st of each month. Not sure 2 weeks is really enough to tell a difference though.

Agreed.

Probably just an error in measuring...so easy to do.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Other than the errors, your muscles could be swollen from the lifting. Your muscles hold onto nutrients/blood/water weight...whatever you want to call it after you lift to help aid in repairs...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My measurements are crazy random, I feel you.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Numbers are hard
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So 2 weeks ago, I started on this journey for a second time. So far, I've lost a whopping 3-4 pounds, depending on the day. About to be expected for my 2 lbs a week goal. However, I measured my waist, hips, and chest 2 weeks ago, with the following measurements: waist: 43"; hips: 40.5"; chest: 46". I measured one time during this, and saw no significant change, and didn't really expect one. This morning, being that it's been exactly 2 weeks, I figured I'd measure for record. I came up with: waist: 43.5; hips: 41; chest: 46.

Why did my waist and hips increase by .5"? That's the wrong direction. I don't remember this happening at all last time I did this. Am I going crazy here?

Measure monthly or every 6 weeks, not weekly!
  • gononi
    gononi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Probably a measuring error, but could also be water retention or muscle gain. Try having a friend measure you. Also, I only measure myself once a month, much more satisfying.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I can gain an inch overnight. Except for my neck (which I couldn't care less about), I cannot seem to measure anywhere near the same way all the time. I'm thinking I'll quit trying. It really doesn't matter.
    Two weeks isn't very long. Also, only chicks call it a journey. Say you're out for Gainz or something else but don't use the word journey.
    LOL. I didn't know that, but am happy I refer to my weight loss journey in the correct way for my sex.

My boyfriend never corrected me when I referred to his weight loss journey, but now that I think of it, I don't think he's used those words, lol.. I'll have to ask him because he wouldn't correct me, even if he thought it was girly.