Hand Pain from Lifting?

Options
I've started lifting more and more. I've been increasing reps and using gloves.

Since then, I've got some pain in my right hand.

It kind of hurts to type in my job, and it seems to be around the right knuckles.

The motion that hurts worse is moving the fingers, and spreading them out to hold hands with my boyfriend.

I just took some ibuprofen and the weekend off from lifting, and it's seems to have gone away although still stiff.

Is this normal? Is this something I should have checked out?

Will it go away?

I need my hands to work because I'm a desk jockey.

Just nervous because I'm planning on upping my weight tonight, and was thinking about that.

Thanks.

:ohwell:

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Maybe Tiger Balm on it?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is this normal?
    Is this something I should have checked out?

No.
    Yes.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I used to get finger pain after heavy weight workouts that involved holding large dumbbells for lunges and sumo squats.

My hands would open a little bit and all of the weight would be sagging for dear life on my finger tips, which strained them.

Wrap your fingers tightly around the bar, don't let your hands open or let the weight sag by the fingers. Use a barbell on the shoulders instead of dumbbells if needed (at some point, forearm strength will have a hard time catching up with the weight you need to do leg exercises - putting the weight on the shoulders and loading it from the squat rack will be easier on the hands).

Another tip: to avoid wrist strain, keep the wrist in alignment with the hand when you hold a bar. Think of a closed fist in a straight line from elbow to the top of the knuckle, not an "L" shape where the wrist bends backwards while gripping a bar).

Also, using something to soothe the discomfort won't stop what is causing the damage. Check form and modify whatever is causing the problem.