Do Macros by Meal Matter

Options
I love the idea of simply meeting macros and for the first time ever I am able to easily and hopefully accurately track what I'm eating. I know what my daily caloric intake ought to be and I have my target macros. My question is whether it matters if I don't hit my macros by meal as long as I'm close for the day?

I am doing roughly 2100 cal per day, 185 grams of carbs, 59 fat, 211 protein. Divided up by 5 meals it's 37 c, 12 f, and 42 pro, but often I do meals that might be within 20% of any of these macros but not exact, however by the end of the day I usually get very close to my daily totals. Does this matter? I kind of like the idea of saving my carbs for a treat here or there.

Thanks!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of simply meeting macros and for the first time ever I am able to easily and hopefully accurately track what I'm eating. I know what my daily caloric intake ought to be and I have my target macros. My question is whether it matters if I don't hit my macros by meal as long as I'm close for the day?

I am doing roughly 2100 cal per day, 185 grams of carbs, 59 fat, 211 protein. Divided up by 5 meals it's 37 c, 12 f, and 42 pro, but often I do meals that might be within 20% of any of these macros but not exact, however by the end of the day I usually get very close to my daily totals. Does this matter? I kind of like the idea of saving my carbs for a treat here or there.

Thanks!

Not particularly - not even really that important to be exact each day. Averaging as close as you can to your goal numbers over the long term is what's most important.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't matter much or at all what your macros are for one meal. Go for a daily total, or even a weekly.

When it might matter for a meal is a very individual thing, for instance, if you figured out you have a better workout performance in the evening when your lunch has lots of carbs. Do whatever works best for you.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter dude.

All that matters is you're relatively close to your overall macros when you lay your head down at night.

I'm a big meat eater, so, I eat 8-10oz. portions of chicken / steak / pork / or huge amount of eggs at one time and end up meeting my protein easily.

And from my own personal opinion, your protein is too high. You only need 0.8g of protein per lb. Anything more is overkill and has been proven with cited scientific info. But if you enjoy it, that's fine too.
  • tmdpotts
    tmdpotts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    its good to have a good amount of protein in every meal. keeps muscles from being used as fuel and can help you feel full longer. I try to get 30 or more grams a meal
  • run_n_fool
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I agree my protein might be high, but I lift a decent amount of weight and I'm concerned about muscle loss during my calorie cutting period. I also feel like a lower carb diet works pretty well for me so I'm biased towards protein and fats. If this turns out to be a mistake I'm all for changing it at some point but for now I want to give this a fair shake to see if it works for me.