Training for personal goals

Options
Relaeh
Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
This is a general question, or inquiry...I have been exercising for more than half of my life and only recently introduced weight training as part of my routine. I do a barbell class called BodyPump 2x/week and weight train on my own one other day, plus 2 other days of just cardio (kickboxing, stairmill or jogging). I have definitely seen some more definition, but I'm not as lean as I'd like to be and would like more definition. I would love to see a sample training schedule, diet suggestions, or if anyone knows a site I can go to for guidance...TIA ;)

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    don't know much about this personally, but I would suggest you check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group.

go to community >>groups>> search for "eat, train, progress"

Good luck.
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Thanks!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are going to want a hypertrophy type program. You'll still need a slight calorie deficit to get leaner.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is super fun, but it's not heavy enough. It's basically just cardio with light-ish weights. Go heavier.
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Body Pump is super fun, but it's not heavy enough. It's basically just cardio with light-ish weights. Go heavier.
    I go pretty heavy in BP, I warm up using one lArge plate on each end, squat about 55, etc...I rarely use only the lower weights for anything alone...I really think it's my diet, but I try to eat more protein than carbs already....i use workout drink and do a protein shake right after...30 grams....really confused :(
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If Body Bump is fun for you keep it but reduce the frequency, it is primarily cardio first and foremost.

Pick-up a more solid weight training program like SL5x5, SS, or 5/3/1 and train 2 to 3 times (at most) a week. A hypertrophy program is probably not going to help you unless you are greatly overeating regularly.

Get your diet on track and probably increase your protein to about 1x bodyweight.

So, strength train 2 to 3 times a week, do interval cardio for like 15 to 20 min's on at least 2 of those days, maybe all 3, do BodyPump once a week. Do this for 6 weeks and reevaluate. You may need to cut back on something but you need to start and do it consistently before you can tell how your body responds. I would use a TDEE or BMR approach for tracking your calorie intake and forget about exercise calories, eating back calories, etc (if you are doing that now at least). That's my suggestion.

Oh.. the interval training will give you more anerobic endurance and the BodyPump will add more aerobic endurance, gives some balance.
  • Relaeh
    Options
    If Body Bump is fun for you keep it but reduce the frequency, it is primarily cardio first and foremost.

Pick-up a more solid weight training program like SL5x5, SS, or 5/3/1 and train 2 to 3 times (at most) a week. A hypertrophy program is probably not going to help you unless you are greatly overeating regularly.

Get your diet on track and probably increase your protein to about 1x bodyweight.

So, strength train 2 to 3 times a week, do interval cardio for like 15 to 20 min's on at least 2 of those days, maybe all 3, do BodyPump once a week. Do this for 6 weeks and reevaluate. You may need to cut back on something but you need to start and do it consistently before you can tell how your body responds. I would use a TDEE or BMR approach for tracking your calorie intake and forget about exercise calories, eating back calories, etc (if you are doing that now at least). That's my suggestion.

Oh.. the interval training will give you more anerobic endurance and the BodyPump will add more aerobic endurance, gives some balance.
    Love it!!! Although, I'm not familiar with some terms you used...SL5x5, etc...I know BMR....and cardio best before or after lifting? I've had mixed answers on this...I generally do it before bc it seems to get me revved up to lift...I'm usually too worn to even think about cardio after weights. Also, I have been eating back calories bc I thought I needed to support my muscle growth while losing fat?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Love it!!! Although, I'm not familiar with some terms you used...SL5x5, etc...I know BMR....and cardio best before or after lifting? I've had mixed answers on this...I generally do it before bc it seems to get me revved up to lift...I'm usually too worn to even think about cardio after weights. Also, I have been eating back calories bc I thought I needed to support my muscle growth while losing fat?

StrongLifts5x5

Interval Training cardio is definitely best after you lift. If you push the intervals hard, you won't have anything left to put good effort into weights.

If you're using MFP then yeah I guess you'd want to eat-back your calories, but that's a different debate for another thread. TDEE or BMR factors in your activity level so you don't have to worry about tracking exercise calorie "burn", which is a second debate that can be had. LOL!