Need to drop weight quick, health problems serious!

Options
ogmomma2012
ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
Hey guys, I'm semi-new here, been involved on and off and recently I've found out that I have serious issues with my health. I have 5ft even and 260lbs. Due to my weight I am not ovulating or have a women's cycle AT ALL. I also have multiple cysts on both my ovaries also due to my weight, high cholesterol and I have damaged my hip flexor and developed acid reflux.

What can I do that is low-impact but still gets results? I need to drop the weight quickly because my family has a history of ovarian and uterine cancer. I am also genetically prone to being heavy, what can I do to combat that? Is there anyone else who has needed to drop weight quickly for health reasons? What did you do to accomplish your goal?

Would losing 10lbs per month be too much? If 2lbs per week is 8lbs, am I pushing it too much?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    1 to 2 lbs a week is a healthy loss. You will likely lose a bit faster at first.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Take a look at this stuff, it will get you started.

Also walkathome.com is a good thing as well.

Add me as a friend if you like.

Cindy
  • SuraAsaria
    Options

Would losing 10lbs per month be too much? If 2lbs per week is 8lbs, am I pushing it too much?

I think as long as your going the healthy way about it youll be fine but you really dont want to push to hard or you will cause more damage than you intended
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could got for MFP's top which is 2 pounds a month but maybe not count exercise credit to get a little more. IMHO walking is a good way to start. A half hour at a good pace is surprisingly effective exercise. Swimming is also very good. Many pools have aquasize classes.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I'll definitely check it out!

If there's anyone who has lost weight quickly, with or without doctor supervision, I'd like to know what you did! Whether it was using a "fad" diet to get started or the exercises you did!
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Swimming has helped me get going.... I am quite large too, and swimming is easy on your joints so you dont get injured, and then are not able to do anything! Check around for Aqua Zumba, or water aerobics. They are fun, and you might be surprised at how much of a workout that can be. I swim twice per week, and do low impact or chair exercises at home. I also eat low carb, no processed sugars/grains. Good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It starts with your diet first, pay attention to your intake. Make sure you are logging everything and measuring and weighing out your portions... That is all you need for weightloss. Now as far as fitness you can start by just taking walks. Increase your distance everytime you go out. Losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week is sustainable and a healthy rate of loss...... Best of Luck
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    This site needs "like" buttons for the posts, thanks for the tips! :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Start by cleaning up your diet. You will see some results just from that. Try to stay away from fad diets, in the long run that will just hinder your progress. Try to eat WHOLE, REAL foods like eggs, chicken, fruit, vegetables and beans. Stay away from things that are pre-made and processed.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to say that exercise is not important...it certainly is. But in my experience, this site is primarily useful for tracking your diet and losing pounds via simple math of calories in/out. I started the site at 262 lb (which was not my heaviest) and for the first 60-70 lb I lost EXACTLY 1.5 lb per week (averaged out) which was my setting - sedentary, lose 1.5 lb/week - so I believe in the math of it due to that. Now I've lost additional weight a bit slower but for me it was absolutely fantastic for getting well under 200 lb in a timeframe that some might consider slow (a year) but I don't...I am very happy with it and hope you will be, too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    2lb per week is a great goal to start. You will want to drop that weekly (1.5, 1, 0.5) goal as you get closer to your goal weight, but you could probably aim for that for quite a while.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Would 2.5lbs per week be too much? I have seen on MFP and elsewhere that the bigger you are for your height, losing a little more than 2lbs per week wouldn't cause much - if any - harm to your health.

I'll be seeing a nutritionist on the 10th of this month. I have until September to prove to my doctor that I can drop my cholesterol by myself without medication. Has anyone else managed to drop bad cholesterol in 2 months?
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Your GOAL should be to lose 2 pounds per week. You should not net less than 1200 calories a day.

That being said, I am your height and starting weight and I have lost 20 pounds in about 3-4 weeks (10 pounds before joining MFP).
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Would LOVE to lose 20lbs in a month, even if it's just the first month of dedicated focus of diet and exercise. And the 20lbs was lost from just eating 1200-1400 calories a day?
    :D Sounds very inspirational!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm semi-new here, been involved on and off and recently I've found out that I have serious issues with my health. I have 5ft even and 260lbs. Due to my weight I am not ovulating or have a women's cycle AT ALL. I also have multiple cysts on both my ovaries also due to my weight, high cholesterol and I have damaged my hip flexor and developed acid reflux.

What can I do that is low-impact but still gets results? I need to drop the weight quickly because my family has a history of ovarian and uterine cancer. I am also genetically prone to being heavy, what can I do to combat that? Is there anyone else who has needed to drop weight quickly for health reasons? What did you do to accomplish your goal?

first and foremost, inform your GP, about the above mentioned issues. Your GP will then be able to advice you with the best plan of action.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Would 2.5lbs per week be too much? I have seen on MFP and elsewhere that the bigger you are for your height, losing a little more than 2lbs per week wouldn't cause much - if any - harm to your health.

I'll be seeing a nutritionist on the 10th of this month. I have until September to prove to my doctor that I can drop my cholesterol by myself without medication. Has anyone else managed to drop bad cholesterol in 2 months?

It took me 3 months. I stopped smoking, and stopped drinking, and my cholesterol is now, normal.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Would LOVE to lose 20lbs in a month, even if it's just the first month of dedicated focus of diet and exercise. And the 20lbs was lost from just eating 1200-1400 calories a day?
    :D Sounds very inspirational!

The first two weeks, I just eliminated processed foods from 80% of my diet - I didn't count calories, I just prepped all my own foods.

The last 12 days I have done 1200-1400 NET calories a day.

Lots and lots and lots of water. Peeing is a hobby of mine now, as I do it 8-10 times a day.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely check it out!

If there's anyone who has lost weight quickly, with or without doctor supervision, I'd like to know what you did! Whether it was using a "fad" diet to get started or the exercises you did!

I used the HMR program, the medically supervised version, and dropped weight pretty quickly.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Well yeah, she's the one who told me, and she knows about the lady problems... She just hooked me up with a dietician (is that the same as a nutritionist?) and a nurse was the one that told me exercise helps lower cholesterol... she wasn't all that in depth. I just feel a little lost like I don't know where to start, especially with this hip flexor injury.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Lots and lots and lots of water. Peeing is a hobby of mine now, as I do it 8-10 times a day.

/\ This--me too!
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Well I am on my way to stop smoking. I was prescribed Chantix and will start taking that this coming Sunday. Drinking isn't a real big problem for me but it IS all sugar so it would be good to stop anyway. Very helpful!