unable to exercise properly due to hip problems

Options
leebirm
leebirm Posts: 95 Member
Hi everyone, ok I'll tell you all a little about my situation and then a little about my problem, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 29, 6ft and weigh about 19st, I went out and bought an exercise bike on Saturday after deciding that losing a bit of weight would do me no harm at all and would hopefully help me a little with my hip problems.
about the hip problems, I have been getting really bad pain from both of my hips/groin area for about 5 years now (my right is a lot worse than my left) I have been to the doctors/hospital had MRI scans/xrays/steroid injections and physio but they still don't know what is causing the problem

anyway onto the exercising part, at the moment I can only go for about 20 minutes a time covering approx 5 miles, the problem is that I cant push myself as hard as I would like, If I try to go faster on a lower resistance or try to go slower on a higher resistance I can feel pain starting in my hip, after about 20 minutes I start struggling at the pace I have been going.

at the moment I have resorted to doing 3 twenty minute sessions a day at about 5/6 miles a time, would this be sufficient for me to start losing weight (I'm currently taking in between 1500 and 2000 calories a day) or is there anything else I could do to help me.

cheers for reading

Replies

• nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a GOOD chiropractor if you have not done that yet. Then I would do Yoga and/or Pilates. The body is funny and manifests pain in different areas. Your hip pain could be due to a tight back.

Look at your daily habits. Do you sit a lot? How long is your commute? Do you stretch?

I have done both chiro and reformer Pilates and both people have made the same comments on my body. Tight shoulders - leads to tight mid back leads to tight sciatic leads to tight hip flexors to tight quad to pain in my fused right ankle. Which all goes back up the line because my ankle hurts I stand off balance, because I stand off balance my hips are off, blah blah blah.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a chiropractor but I have had numerous people examine my back, knees and ankles etc the problem with my hip area is that I have limited mobility there, I have barely any rotation in it at all, even putting on shoes and socks can be difficult when you have to physically pick your leg up to put them on lol
    The only other thing that has ever been mentioned is that I have really tight hamstrings but other than that everything else looks fine
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OK so it's not 100 miles, but it's a lot better than 0 miles. Keep it up, gently.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I have done both chiro and reformer Pilates and both people have made the same comments on my body. Tight shoulders - leads to tight mid back leads to tight sciatic leads to tight hip flexors to tight quad to pain in my fused right ankle. Which all goes back up the line because my ankle hurts I stand off balance, because I stand off balance my hips are off, blah blah blah.

Great example of the Cumulative Injury Cycle. Sorry to hear that by the way.

You should really go to a Physical Therapist or a Chriopractor. Who are these people that have examined your back? If it's not a doctor, especially an Orthopedist, then it's probably irrelevant.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If your hips are giving you grief, scale back on the cardio (it's not that important to weight loss if you are already eating at a deficit) and start lifting weights to preserve your muscle mass.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option? That might be easier on your hips...Hope it gets better! :flowerforyou: