How to get enough protein?

Options
Always fall short of this....any suggestions?

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Whey protein...
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you have a brand recommendation? And would you say it's better mixed with water, milk, or ??
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do you have a brand recommendation? And would you say it's better mixed with water, milk, or ??

It doesn't matter, if you need fats use milk, if not use water. Personally, I use Optimum Nutrition best flavors mixes well tastes amazing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    To the op, your daily goal us pretty high- how have you set that?

Look at protein snacks to boost your intake - jerky, crab sticks, cottage cheese, humous, nurs, roast beans, Greek yoghurt.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of protein for he amount of calorie you are eating.
    If you eat a more you will get enough protein and enough calories.

eat more
  • lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eggs for breakfast .. lots of eggs !!

Protein shakes after training .. I use Precision mixed with milk ..

... and chicken and tuna ,, gota love them hahahahaha
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

IsoPure.
  • royalblue19
    royalblue19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about Jay Robbs Egg White Protein?
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I just took a quick sneak peek into your diary and I would say you are getting plenty of protein, espcially for the amount of calories you are eating. I wouldn't overdo it and just eat normally :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I'll have an omelet with 3/4 cup of egg whites and one whole egg for dinner, Greek yogurt, protein in my coffee, chicken, fish, cheese...my diary is open. I try for 150g a day, but my diary is set to 162. My breakfast this morning had 48g of protein. I usually get Optimum Nutrition extreme milk chocolate protein powder, but I found Muscle Gauge Fitness powder on clearance, and it's pretty close to ON's numbers. Ice cream sandwich flavor is great in coffee!
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Eggs. I eat eggs. I eat a lot of eggs. Eggs. I recommend eggs.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I can easily get what MFP suggested but not what was reommended by others because of level of intensety in work outs wthout adding protein bars or protein shakes but both can be yumy. Its not just meat eggs, yogurt, nuts beans, Peanut butter and so much more cheese also has protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your protein goal is so high? Where did you get this goal from? 1 gram of protein per Lb of LEAN body mass is pretty optimal while you are in a cut or trying to build muscle.

I would suggest re-assessment of that goal...I'm a 180 Lb male and I take in around 145 g - 150g and it's pretty difficult to do without supplementing with whey or some other protein supplement. A goal of 169g for a female is pretty out of this world.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Always fall short of this....any suggestions?

Plan meals around protein.

So they have to include a quality source. Eggs, Lean Meat, Chicken, Fish, Whey.

When filling out the rest of your meals try to include foods that have a significant amount in them too. Cheese, other dairy, nuts and seeds, beans.

I really can't hit my goals without a substantial serving of meat at at least two meals, and having whey powder as a supplement/backup.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    eat more meat
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    First I'd say you need to get more calories period, under 1200 is bad enough but your under 900. I would look at adding one or two protein shakes, and , more proteins during the day. Try having high protein snacks like a can or two of tuna, hard boiled eggs, and so on. There are so many good options for protein shakes just try one and keep trying them until you find the one you like. Muscle milk is probably one of the better tasting ones, I currently use Body Fortress which you can get at Walmart fairly cheap.
    Not that I'm the mark to live by but if you want you can look at my log just to see what I do.
    Good luck.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster skim milk. 11 g of protein and only 60 cal a cup tastes like 2%. i put it in my coffee. i work kale, kidney beans,lentils, wild salmon, eggs,cheese, greek or seived yogurt, peanuts,edamame and quinoa into my weekly dietary lifestyle. These are literally the base foods that i build the rest of my shopping list on. i don't waste calories on wheat, rice or potato. yes, they have protein but their glycemic loads are soo high. wheat flour-44, potato-29, brown rice-22. i try to keep my glycemic load to a total of 100 per day. not to mention when i eat them they make me feel slow, sleepy, bloated and extremely hungry within an hour of eating them.