Losing Weight but Not Inches - What is the Point?!

Options
2»

Replies

• TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think you need to be patient with yourself.If you have lost those pounds you are sure to lose those inches too.Do not give up just yet because you might have lost the inches but not where you wanted to.You might need to not only eat right but also do exercise to do away with them.You could do target exercise which will help you to lose the inches from where you want.Well !! Good Luck, for your efforts.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it's your trunk, it may be because that's just where your body hangs on to its fat. That's what mine does. I've lost weight every where else but there. My legs and arms are almost looking skinny, but my waist and hips have barely changed.

I have a total of about 20 pounds left to lose and I think all 20 of it is sitting right on my abdomen.

This! I know the rest of mine is on my abdomen. With maybe a couple pounds left for my thighs and one pound for each batwing. The rest of me is starting to get bony.

I have no where that looks bony. Seriously I have no idea where the weight I've lost came from. I mean that's a pretty decent amount of loss with nothing to show for it. I'm almost starting to think there's just something wrong with the scale and I really haven't lost the weight!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I used to measure my waist and got tired of seeing the same crappy measurement. So I stopped. But now finally I get to whine about pants getting loose. I don't know where the fat could be coming from otherwise. Intra muscular? Lol

How heavy are the things you lift?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but it seems either the scale moves or the tape measure does...I generally don't get both moving at the same time. I've lost very little weight since the first of the year (12 lbs.) yet I've dropped almost 2 full sizes. Be patient, eat healthy, and exercise...it will all come together eventually!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 month plateau recently and have only started to come off that by a couple of pounds. It was so hard to see everyone losing weight around me, though I was genuinely happy for my MFP friends. After careful review of my food logs and exercise, I learned that I needed to increase my intake to change up things--and it worked. I also discovered that I was logging one of my foods wrong and that accounted for an additional 110-220 calories a day I had missed. Really go over your food diaries and see if you can find places for improvement or change or accuracy. It's a good starting point if everything else seems to be at a stall.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

How much weight have you lost over what period of time? I'm guessing this is just a matter of needing to be more patient and continuing on the path you are already on. If the scale weight is going down, the measurements will eventually follow.

50+ lbs over about 2 years. My clothes fit the same too - so if it was just bad measuring I'd expect to see some change there. Patience is not something I'm great at - and it has been sooooo long I'm just feeling so defeated and more and more positive I'll never see results.

You've lost 50lbs and the measurements are the same? I'm sorry but I can't see any possible way this can be correct.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

You've lost 50lbs and the measurements are the same? I'm sorry but I can't see any possible way this can be correct.

Well my some of my measurements went up from last time I measured. :ohwell:

I just looked again at my charts and if I go all the way back to my starting weight I've lost a couple inches here and there. I guess I need to look super long term and not just over the last year or so... Nothing significant lost, but it is something.

I just want to buy new clothes!! :sad:

I think I'll take another break from the measuring tape and try not to obsess over it. Really just focus on my gym time and my diet. Diet has improved a lot recently from the advice I was given here, so now that I have some new advice to work with hopefully I'll be seeing some more results.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Something here seems very wrong. You lost 50 lbs of something, you're measurements should be quite different. Even if sizable fraction of the loss was water, you'd still have to had lost enough fat for measurements to change. You either had to have mis-measured before or you are now. There just is no way you can lose 50 lbs and not lose inches... Do you have pictures of then and now?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just an idea, but maybe you pulled that tape super tight before and not so much now?
    Oke, probably not this,..but maybe wrong side of the tape?

Some measurements don't change much with weightloss, they are just your frame. Say you measure your waist at the top of your hip bone, that bone won't move. Have your arm and leg measurements changed?

You lost over 50lb, where did you start?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    At 50 lbs. loss, you have loss inches somewhere. Don't get discourage because 50 lbs. is a lot to celebrate. You'll get to the mall so just hang in there a little while longer.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but it seems either the scale moves or the tape measure does...I generally don't get both moving at the same time. I've lost very little weight since the first of the year (12 lbs.) yet I've dropped almost 2 full sizes. Be patient, eat healthy, and exercise...it will all come together eventually!

This is my experience exactly. I've slowed down (on purpose) my weight loss recently, so I weigh just about the same as I did a month ago, but I went to try on pants in a store the other day and was stunned.

I would add that I cannot see my own weight loss, and I'd bet I'm not alone in that on this site. I always look the same to me--I didn't think I had that much to lose, and now that I've lost it, I don't see a difference. I mean, I'm not an idiot--I get that smaller size clothes fit me, and I knew my starting weight was an unhealthy number for my height, and people I haven't seen in a while comment on it--but I just don't see it. I'm assuming that eventually my eye will adjust, and I'd bet that if you take photos you'll see the changes more clearly than you do just looking in the mirror.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I read ages ago its about ( on average) 10 pounds of fat per inch. But if you are building muscle at the same time it will effect the inches as your body is reshaped
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Check out this forum thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/779683--apple-shaped-women-before-afters?hl=apple+shape

It was really helpful for me to read about how others have experienced weight loss if they carry it around the middle like I do. it helped me set reasonable expectations. Many people talk about losing tummy weight last, so it made me less frustrated with those measurements moving so slowly. I also second the person who said they seem to lose pounds OR inches but not both. I've definitely had that!