Plateau from clean eating?

So, everyone says you lose weight by eating clean/calorie deficit, and you tone from working out.

I have been trying to lose weight since 2011 (30 lbs so far) but I have hit a MAJOR plateau.
It seems that at first clean eating was enough for me since my prior eating habits were so poor (soda, poptarts, etc). But now, eating clean is so regular to me, and even though I've started working out again, there is no weight loss/difference shown in my body.

I'm extremely frustrated, and a recovering bulimic, and this is the type of stuff that always makes me revert back to my eating disorder.

Also, do you guys think it possible for a plateau to cause an eating disorder??

Please help!!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Do you log your food and exercise?
  • xosunny520
    xosunny520 Posts: 23 Member
    not religiously.

I log my food more than my exercise because for some reason I feel like MFP isn't accurate w/ calories burned.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    not religiously.

I log my food more than my exercise because for some reason I feel like MFP isn't accurate w/ calories burned.

That's probably most of your problem. Weigh and log everything you eat, otherwise how do you know what you're eating?

Also, with so few pounds to lose, you should probably have a .5 pound deficit. One muffin, snack or off measurement in sugar can wipe out a 250 calorie deficit.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Can you open your diary?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    There's really no such thing as a plateau in my mind. If you someone stops losing weight for a decent amount of time then they are eating and exercising at maintenance. If they want to lose weight they just need to eat less or move more.

The only real exception to this is short term stuff like water weight or obvious stuff like massive muscle gain.

Most the time it just happens when folks stop tracking their food as carefully and end up eating more than they imagine they are or the just overestimate the number of calories they are burning.

Best of luck though, I know it can be frustrating!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    your intake of "clean" food is too high for your activity levels.

Would help to give more info like height, weight, goal weight, type of exercise etc.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    exactly!
    your intake of "clean" food is too high for your activity levels.

Would help to give more info like height, weight, goal weight, type of exercise etc.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Have you recalculated your food needs since losing weight? .. You should.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    After you get past all the colorful diet terms and tactics, you're probably eating too much to loose weight. As others have stated, you need to measure, weigh and document everything you eat. Then reduce the amount of calories you eat at weekly intervals until you start loosing weight. Everything else you do may have some nutritional value but the only way to loose weight is to eat at a caloric deficit.
  • xosunny520
    xosunny520 Posts: 23 Member
    diary is open.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    diary is open.

With all the missing days, no one can really give you much good info.

All we know is that despite what you log from time to time you are currently eating at maintenance levels. it doesn't matter what number is in your diary. A weight loss plateau (how long is that BTW?) is proof that you are eating at maintenance.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    diary is open.

With all the missing days, no one can really give you much good info.

All we know is that despite what you log from time to time you are currently eating at maintenance levels. it doesn't matter what number is in your diary. A weight loss plateau (how long is that BTW?) is proof that you are eating at maintenance.
    That's your answer there even if that's not the one you were looking for.

x3. Establish a consistent intake and then you'll be able to determine what's going on. Otherwise it's simply a shot in the dark.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    When I hit a plateau I can get pretty frustrated and determined to break it. My tendency is just to go hungry. Inevitably I end up dizzy or feeling drained and realize I'm not helping myself. A better approach is what everyone has suggested plus ramping up your exercise.