Buying Smaller clothes for motivation.

I won some $ to spend at a specific store but I have to use it this week! Should I buy clothes for my goal weight for motivation or should I buy my current size. I'm planning on losing a lot more by my birthday in November. Would you purposely buy clothes that didn't fit yet? I don't wanna have XLs and only be able to wear them another month or two..

Replies

• temptress75519
    temptress75519 Posts: 35 Member
    I buy clothes 1-2 sizes smaller than I am right now when I go shopping for funsies. Imagine how stoked you will be when you try them on in a month or so and they fit perfectly! I have pants I bought from a thrift store months ago that were really high quality jeans and never worn but too small. For $2.50 I had to get them. Now I'm wearing them and that is the best feeling in the world and all I needed to keep motivated when I usually give up (1 month in).
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    i think that really depends on where you are in your journey, to be honest.
    my last couple shops i have been buying L where i used to be XL - feels pretty awesome.

however - i have a hard time buying for a smaller me right now. i buy what i feel good in, and that seems to be helping for now.

no idea if that helped at all. just buy what you feel good about you in
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    I would buy the smaller size, maybe one for my current size also
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    You've almost reached your goal. buy the clothes that fit you just now and use them as an incentive to keep you at that weight.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    My recommendation is to buy both clothes you can enjoy now and a few smaller sizes for motivation.

Personally, I've learned not to invest too much in smaller sizes. Often I discover once I'm actually able to wear that size, the cut of the item of clothing is wrong or something and it just doesn't look right even though it fits.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    I wouldn't buy clothes that didn't fit me. You might get down to where you can "fit" into them but then notice they fit weird or not well in the right places.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I personally never buy a piece of clothing that does not fit me when I walk out of the store with it. I'm at my goal weight now, but when I was losing, I went through my own smaller sizes first and then started trying on clothes, waiting for the day when they actually fit. I tried not to try on clothes I knew were too small. I found it discouraging. And buying an item on the assumption that someday I might look good in it was never a good idea. Even when I got to my goal weight, that style or size may not really work and then I've wasted money.
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    I did and still do. It's a great motivator for me. Especially if they are a really good bargain!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    The idea of going clothes shopping when you hit the lower sizes is the incentive I need, rather than already owning clothes in that size. I want the fun of picking stuff out then! Maybe buy one fairly cheap thing to gauge your progress with, but not much else. Get stuff that looks good now too!
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    It works. I wouldn't believe I'd ever fit into a size small before but I did. I'm still going to tone up and lean up as there's nothing to stop my progress in getting the dream fitness I'd like. I plan on selling and giving away all the old clothes that doesn't properly fit me anymore to make my closet more bare... Financially I don't know if it'll be good as I'd have more of an impulse to buy more clothing for myself or if it would make me more motivated to work out as getting more clothes for each time I make the little goals count as some sort of incentive. I use to be an XL and that's at risk of obesity for my height and ethnicity.

It's still a plan in progress with how I want to carry things out, but I still got 4 pairs of bikinis in my drawer that I haven't worn publicly to a pool or a beach yet. I should make some extra cash with my old clothes to buy more smaller clothing. T_T But I don't want to become an extra small! But it's the way my petite frame is made (5'1")!
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Well I dieted 2 years ago and bought 2 pairs of new pants. I must of been so happy I quit dieting then I put the weight back on with a little extra for extra padding..... When I started dieting this year I tried these pants on, I knew they didn't fit but I could barely even get them up and was inchs away from getting the button done up. However every couple of days I would try them on and it took awile but I could see that they would almost go on, then the next week a little closer and so on..

Then one day I got the button on, I couldn't walk in them and the button almost ripped off and flew across the room, but the button was on.. .. I felt so good it was really great. Then the next week the pants got a little looser and so on until I could actually wear the pants again. I felt so great at this point that I decided to gain all the weight back on once more to experience this again.

Just kidding, fast forward to today and these pants that I once couldn't even pull up my fat legs are so loose that I need a belt to wear them. I think that these two sets of pants have been the best judge of my efforts by far. The scale goes up and down all the time but the pants didn't lie to me once. I am planning to go buy another pair of pants that are 3 sizes too small this weekend so I can do this again.

However I wouldn't buy a bunch of cloths to do this with, just buy 1 outfit or pair of pants that you cant fit into, and use the rest of the money on cloths that you look good in now or get some shoes or hat or something.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I'm not so sure I'd do this with brand new clothes but I primarily shop at thrift stores and will often buy clothes too small because I know they will fit eventually. I don't want to let something cute go and I'm such a sucker for a deal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I had, only because the jeans I bought from my store were discontinued and I didn't want to miss the next size down. They're 18 women's (plus) but the misses' sizes didn't go down so after that I'll check the 16s-18s out from there as we're still carrying them.
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    This is just my first goal! I have a ways to go. But thanks everyone, I'm trying to find stuff that will possibly look cute at any size! Hard to find though :P