Ketosis is killing me!

Options
2»

Replies

• Fit_Jesus
    Options
    Your body primarily runs off of carbs or fats for energy. Being that you cut down on carbs you have to consume more fat. In my opinion being cold means low metabolism. Your body isn't getting the energy it wants so it's shutting you down. Notice how a lot of people are mentioning bulletproof coffee which is basically coffee with a crapload of fat added to it. It may seem counterintuitive to consume more fat when you're trying to lose fat, but what you're mostly likely doing is teaching your system to use fat as fuel instead of carbs so that when you're not burning the fat you take in you're burning the fat you store.

Add coconut oil, olive oil, fish oil, avocados, butter, and nuts to your diet. At least 30% of your calories should come from fat

Good luck
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ugh, sorry you're feeling so terrible!

I have no issues with low carb per se but why stick with something that makes you feel so terrible?? Low carb is not necessary for weight loss and neither is medication (I don't even know what the stuff is that your doctor gave you but it's not necessary for weight loss!). The only thing necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit (read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants ). Fat loss (which is what you'll actually want to go for, to lose mainly fat and not muscle, organs and other tissue) requires a small calorie deficit (slow is almost always better when it comes to weight loss) and exercise, preferably including some form of progressively heavy resistance training. I weighed roughly 240 lbs until four years ago and have consistently been around 167 lbs for the last two years. I was certain that my metabolism was horrible, that I was already eating very little etc. Turns out I was wrong, my metabolism is fine and I just dramatically underestimated the calories I was consuming. Religiously logging everything I ate and drank (except for water and unsweetened tea) has been a huge eye-opener.

Low carb is fine if your body is fine with it. It leads to weight loss if you create a calorie deficit by eating low carb.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What happened to you is that you retained water at first due to starting a new exercise program. Muscles tend to swell for a couple of weeks (up to a month) until you adapt to your new workout routine. Now what ketosis did was suck out that water weight into the toilet so you saw losses.

If you are happy with going low carb wait it out. I've heard these side effects subside after a week or two. Make sure to get regular kidney function tests and stock up on electrolytes, and that your 20 grams of carbs come from the richest sources of fiber. If you feel you don't want to restrict your carbs severely anymore due to physical complications or boredom know that you really don't have to. I have lost an average school child while eating 100-250 carbs.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I didn't think it was necessary for weight loss to be so painful. I just tracked my calories, eat mostly nutritious whole foods and saved room for favorite treats. Most people won't stick with a program that requires cutting out so many things or that results in feelings of deprivation.
    Stop it with this common sense idea. Don't you know you can only lose weight by making yourself suffer. ;-)
  • macknima
    macknima Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @Flab2fit27 actually if you stop eating enough your body starts holding on to excess weight because it thinks your starving. I was eating once a day (chicken breast/salads) under 600 calories a day due to getting sick from gallstones when I ate, during that year I gain 70 lbs despite exercising and not eating. I also suffer from PCOS which makes it difficult to keep weight off. Straight from my doctors mouth lol don't be snobby every body functions differently.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This is a zombie thread way too old for replies --- August 10, 2014 10:30AM
  • ChrisJ2626
    ChrisJ2626 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For those who are saying, "keto doesn't sound good" or "sounds dangerous" etc, the body is literally going through a sugar withdrawl. Sugar is one of the worst things that can be put in the body, and our brains literally react to it like a narcotic. Not making this stuff up. I can go on and on on the topic. Fat is not the enemy, folks. Sugar is. Take some electrolytes, drink plenty of water and you'll be fine!