Guided VS Custom

monica1515
monica1515 Posts: 65
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Who followes the caloric recommendations that are given my the site? And who customizes their calorie goals?

The reason I ask is because my BMR is 1878 (I had this done by a professional in a lab) and know I should not be going under my BMR. The custom calorie intake suggested was 1400 calories. I went to college for for this but I'm not a nutritionist - I'm an exercise physiologist!

My wedding is in 4 months and would ideally like to drop about 25 lbs. However, I will not do it at the cost of the consequences of a "fad" diet. Suggestions please!!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    You could try eating your BMR for a week and see if you gain or lose?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I'm no nutritionist either but since your BMR is just what it takes to stay alive at your current health and fitness level, it seems to me that you HAVE to go below that in order to lose weight. Going below your BMR makes the body burn stored fat, if you ate your BMR every day your body would have no reason to resort to it's stores.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    I went by the sites and it's worked for me. I am a nutritionist and so far so good. If I can help at all, just let me know.
  • I am only supposed to have 1200 cals per day. It does not seem many - but I know from bitter experience that if I go over that amount I will not lose weight. In fact I usually put it on. I am over 60 so maybe the metabolism slows down as one gets older?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :flowerforyou: whether you use your BMR or the suggested calories from MFP or another lower number, be sure that every calorie you consume is nutritionally dense and leave out the empty stuff, also exercise as much as you can to keep your metabolism burning the calories
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Prior to using MFP (which I have found works great), I used a rather primitive, but effective way of determining how many calories, I multiplied my goal weight by 11 and did not factor in exercise calories.(A crude calculation of bmr.) I reasoned that I needed to start living on the calorie count that I would need to maintain my goal weight. It was quite effective.

I would not suggest going under 1200 calories though!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Okay, I'm a certified nutritionist and personal trainer who is also in a bachelors program for exercise physiology with a minor in nutrition. My opinion based on my education is: Don't Go Below Your BMR!

When you have your BMR tested in a lab, it is more accurate then any estimator online. And it is what is required to maintain your current muscle mass so that you can lose body fat without losing muscle, not necessarily to maintain your current body fat percentage. We've basically been taught to use the BMR test from the lab and a multiplier based on activity level to determine total daily energy expenditure not counting exercise. Then we add in exercise calories burned to get the closest estimate to actual energy expenditure each day. From that we subtract no more then 20% and never go lower then your BMR. The 1200 calorie limit for starvation mode is a myth. According to my nutrition classes, that starvation zone line is actually at your BMR. So, if you go below your BMR, then you will be risking storing body fat and catabolizing muscle.

Personally I've customized my levels based on what I've been taught in my classes. While I'm not losing massive amounts of weight weekly, I'm able to maintain my muscle mass while focusing on losing strictly body fat.
This discussion has been closed.