Lowered calorie goal and need help staying full

Options
12346»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    That calorie count sounds way too low! Are you trying to lose more than 1 lb a week? Healthy weight loss is only up to 1 lb a week. If you eat too few calories your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold on to as much fat as possible. Your metabolism will drop and you'll actually hamper your weight loss abilities!

No it's to break a plateau. It's short term till I can get through the plateau then back to my normal 1400

No, just no. No no no no. When you plateau, it means your body needs more fuel. You should actually up your calories, not lower them. You need to be eating 1600-1800 calories.

ETA: you can actually eat more than 1600-1800 calories, because I can cut on 1800 calories myself. So I am pretty sure you can still lose weight between 1800-2000. But that's just a guestimate from looking at your pictures and ticker.

MFP had me at 1400 so that's why I did that. I started my "diet" on my own going by that and was happy with it. Started at 238lb and am at 221 as of Sunday. So it's been slow and steady. Started end of April so don't think I'm loosing too fast or anything.
    When I first started at 238 MFP had me at 1750 and as I've lost it's lowered it.

No, still no. Why would you lower it if you were still losing at 1750? That makes no sense

Because as you lose weight, your TDEE drops, too. Every 10 lbs lost there should be an adjustment in intake. Some adjust every 5 lbs.

That's not right that it dropped 350 cals after only 17 lbs lost. At least, my intake never dropped that much even after almost 25 lbs lost. That was before the calculation update, though - has it changed that much?
  • cheetahrocker88
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question I just got serious about 20 days ago and I am having trouble staying in my calorie goal. I have also started to reach out to others.
  • cheetahrocker88
    Options
    Thank you for this example, I am going over my calorie goal and getting discouraged I am learning as I go.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I agree with upping the fruits and veggies. You can get a lot for not many calories. Nothing wrong with carbs... But make sure they are complex carbs and have a decent amount of fiber. That will help in keeping you feeling full longer. For the record, I'm a big fan of Chobani simply 100 Greek yogurt. Something like 12 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber for only 100 calories. Fills me up better than any other yogurt. Add in some fruit and it can be a great breakfast for not very many calories.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You need to get rid of the bread and processed food. Add carbs from fruit and veggies, hummuh, white and sweet potatoes can replace bread for starches. If you are still hungry, have a salad, snack on cucumbers and celery. They will help. Also, I eat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a little Stevia for breakfast. You can eat it in the car. Salad with protein and chick peas or beans are good for lunch. I would agree with other posters to up your calorie intake and add some movement/exercise if you want to lose quicker. Tweeking your diet over time is the way to go. Don't rush it.

I eat Greek yogurt every day and NEVER thought to eat for breakfast lol genius. I like that idea. So that's normally my morning snack so what should I switch my morning snack too? Maybe hummus?
    The hummus for a morning snack is a great idea. I get the little single serving size containers and eat carrots, cukes, and celery with it. I like the carrots the best. I have also gotten into one ounce bags of almonds for snacking with a vitamin water zero.