Dealing with non-dieting spouses

2»

Replies

• I was at this point with my boyfriend, I was doing my own thing and he was trying not to hinder me. He would occasionally do things like go grocery shopping and not pick up any fresh veggies (only canned ugh!) but he's getting better. The other day he said to me, "Something needs to change. My clothes don't fit anymore." He was worried that he would have to eat the same amount of calories as me (1380) but I assured him he would need much more than that since he has to stand for his job and is taller and heavier. I think that has put him in the "curious" camp. I try not to bring it up unless he does. I think he could get on board but obviously I'm not going to force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    I have for years. My husband is a type 1 diabetic that has never had a weight issue, as a matter of fact he lost 20 pounds in the past couple of years because his job was more active. I do deal with him needing things that have more carbs in them at times than I'd like, so I typically make him the carbs and either just eat a small portion or none and add more veggies to my plate. Having sweets in the house is sometimes an issue because we do have to have them on hand for him when he does need the sugar, but I try and get things that I'm meh about in the sweet world.

The only thing I'd love to see him do is drink more water, but at least he does get some intake of it in as long as its got some type of flavoring in it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I do the cooking so it's not that hard in our house. I'll be honest and admit I hid a few ingredients from him initially to avoid the "ick" response and then surprised him later by revealing he'd been eating healthier options the whole time without knowing it. Mostly though, I'm an all things in moderation kind of gal so we still have take out once a week and mostly eat the same way we always have, I just make some slight tweaks to lower calories (leaner meats, low fat dairy, less pasta, etc) and/or eat smaller portions.

Hubby's not on board with making any major health changes and that's just fine. As other said, he's a big boy and allowed to make his own decisions. Sure I'd rather he be a bit more active and make healthier choices but until he's ready, there's not a thing I can do about it. In the meantime, he fully supports me in my efforts to lose weight and exercise regularly, even prompting me now and then when I want to be lazy. I'll keep him for now. ;)
  • mkroberger
    mkroberger Posts: 25 Member
    I have been fortunate where my boyfriend and I seem to gain together (too much fun), and then we jointly decide to diet and excercise more. I have a friend whose fiance eats so unhealthy. No veggies at all. Fried food, etc. And she has gained a lot of weight. I don't judge because I would have a hard time living with someone who is so indulgent.

Fortunately I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking at my house, so even my teenagers don't have much of choice when I'm dieting. :-)
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Looks like I'm the first husband to post in this thread :)
    My wife and 4 daughters have been 100% supportive
    of my efforts. My wife has always been a fantastic cook
    and has been giving me ingredients and saving pear codes
    for me to scan since I started this. We still have junk food
    on the house but I can understand that and I deal with it.
    My kids are very fit and for the most part eat healthy but they
    are young and active and can consume a huge amount without
    gaining. It's nice to have the support and not have to listen
    to wisecracks about me weighing my food etc.
    My wife and I are also enjoying a lot of bike rides together.
    Support helps I only wish everyone else had the same support I have!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Looks like I'm the first husband to post in this thread :)
    Well, the first on page two, anyway.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Oops!
    Reading comprehension fail on my part!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    mine has been out of the house the past 6 months , so that helps a lot :D -but hes kind of Half azzed on board at best, he thinks its all about tons of exercise , though.. but since he has 180 lbs to lose ... anything he would change would help , he uses being " on the road" as a convienent excuse
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Oops!
    Reading comprehension fail on my part!
    Just kidding with you.

It's cool that you have that much support.