Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pros and Cons of logging for ED recovery?

I'm trying to overcome ED

But i find that logging my intake just gets me obsessed with meeting calorie requirements - or worse, trying to eat "under" just coz I can. For example, my stupid brain prefers to eat only 700 on some days because even the idea of shooting above 1000 is too "high."

At the same time, logging to meet my calorie requirements, as well as seeing my macronutrient ratio can give me an idea of what I should be eating to ensure that I'm eating the right foods to sustain my body...?

Thougths

Replies

• SaraP914
    SaraP914 Posts: 3
    Hi chene249,

I totally understand how you feel. I struggled with anorexia and bulimia as a teenager. I worked with a dietician for over 8 years and have been through therapy since I my initial diagnosis of anorexia nervosa. It got really bad and I had to be hospitalized. The only way I was able to gain weight was to follow the advice of my dietician and count food exchanges to meet my daily requirements.

Based on my experience, I suggest working with a dietician and looking at food exchanges. He/she will help you track your progress and have you keep a food diary examining food exchanges rather calories. IMO, ED recovery demands professional help, not calorie counting. Calorie counting is bad news when it comes to eating disorders. That being said, I empathize with the challenge that such a task can be for someone with an ED. It will be tough, but recovery is possible. :smile:

Side note: My relationship with food is still a bit tricky, but long-term work with specialized professionals has transformed my outlook. My ED recovery was complicated by psychological struggles and addiction related to bingeing and purging that led to major weight gain. I am using MyFitnessPal in combination with personal training, a strong network of supporters and regular therapy. Since I am not currently struggling with ED's or addiction, I am able to rely on loved ones and my PT to help keep me accountable.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    I'm going to be honest: it totally depends on the person.

For some (if not most) logging on a site like this is not a good idea. It can trigger behaviors (as you've already stated it does for you), and can contribute to obsessing over calories and macros. For others, it can help. In my case, it has. It has helped me see what normal eating can and should look like.

The best course of action is to speak to your therapist about it if you have one. If not, I highly recommend an app called Recovery Record. You can log your meals (and your feelings, too) without logging calories and macros.