Downer

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, after 6 months of constant effort to get my life cleanly back on track, i decided I'd speak with the air force recruiter today. Turns out that my body weight/height aren't my real issue... my past drug issues will keep me squarely out of the military. Permanantly.

I asked if a notorized polygraph test confirming I've been clean would help, and he said no. The military's opinion is basically - once an addict, always an addict. No matter how long I'm clean, I will always be disqualified.

I've just been down since I spoke with him. Really down. I mean, whats the point of trying to rewrite my entire life if people are always going to look at me just as an addict. I've gotten clean and I've stayed clean... I've lost weight.. just wish people could look past who I was a year or more ago and see who i am now. Everything just feels kind of pointless right now.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, after 6 months of constant effort to get my life cleanly back on track, i decided I'd speak with the air force recruiter today. Turns out that my body weight/height aren't my real issue... my past drug issues will keep me squarely out of the military. Permanantly.

I asked if a notorized polygraph test confirming I've been clean would help, and he said no. The military's opinion is basically - once an addict, always an addict. No matter how long I'm clean, I will always be disqualified.

I've just been down since I spoke with him. Really down. I mean, whats the point of trying to rewrite my entire life if people are always going to look at me just as an addict. I've gotten clean and I've stayed clean... I've lost weight.. just wish people could look past who I was a year or more ago and see who i am now. Everything just feels kind of pointless right now.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this, and sorry that you feel down - that does really SUCK!!! :ohwell:

But, maybe it's just that one avenue? Is there something else you might like to pursue? You have done AMAZINGLY well to get clean and lose weight - two of the most CHALLENGING things, at which you've proven yourself to be a great success. You will find something that is a perfect fit for you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    The only real avenue beyond this that I've ever considered was human relief efforts through the UN (the UN will go to 'hot' zones, whereas things like peace corps will not). But the UN will require me to have my masters degree, which is a very, very long time away (if I ever go at all).

I'm guessing God has other plans for me, just wish he'd clue me in right about now... feel kind of like I'm flailing.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    aww that's really sad.... regrets are something that you can't do anything about except learn from them to make less in the future. :frown: that's really to bad that they will not let you in. :sad: but think of it this way, what if you were to go back to drugs and then 10 years later get clean and wanna get a job. It would only be much worse then. Showing a stable lifestyle for several years is really gonna look good....
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Wow, msarro. I am so sorry for that news. :frown:

I can't believe that there isn't SOMETHING you can do... can you talk to some else about it? Maybe you can look into a different branch of the military??? Not trying to pry but are they saying no because of drug-use in general or because of drug-use related arrests, etc?

I hate to hear that, especially if you had your heart set on it and have been working towards that goal.

Have you ever thought about local police or fire? My husband is a police officer and he is involved in so many different things - he loves it! He has worked his way on a gang/crime suppression unit and is working with SWAT and FBI on various things. I call him our "home military". I'm not sure how they look at prior records, etc though.
  • AJCM
    Options
    The only real avenue beyond this that I've ever considered was human relief efforts through the UN (the UN will go to 'hot' zones, whereas things like peace corps will not). But the UN will require me to have my masters degree, which is a very, very long time away (if I ever go at all).

I'm guessing God has other plans for me, just wish he'd clue me in right about now... feel kind of like I'm flailing.

Sorry this is such a hard time...

What about a position with another not-for-profit or mission? Unicef is always hiring - you start as a volunteer, and then move up to paid positions. There are always opportunities for travel, and to do important work! I work with a registered Canadian charity, so I LOVE that you want a career where you help people! Is it feasible to vounteer maybe? What about working with an organization that helps addicts get clean? You would be an incredible inspiration... just a thought. :smile:
  • msarro
    Options
    Actually I have a crystal clean record legally - I was pretty savvy about never being caught. Their concern was the fact that I used regularly for a period of 4 years (throughout college), and also the fact that I experimented with harder drugs on a few occasions. I could most likely have gotten a waiver otherwise.

My big thing with the Air Force is they work great for people who have IT careers, which is what I specialize in. Specifically network security and high pressure computer systems (like ICU/ER computer systems).

The only issue with a volunteer position is my student loans... they kind of force me to keep working right now to the point where I can't really commit to a long term volunteer sort of thing. The military would've really helped with that.
  • AJCM
    Options
    OMG - you could so much with that education and training! :smile:
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Is there anyone else you can talk to??? Maybe they can give you a time frame to stay clean and then let you join the AF???

I just can't believe that they won't look at the fact that you've accomplished SO MUCH!!! I mean can't they see that you've not only been clean but also have imporved your overall health in general by losing weight!!!

You have to fight this decision, msarro. I'd keep going back and trying... maybe they will eventually see that you are serious!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else you can talk to??? Maybe they can give you a time frame to stay clean and then let you join the AF???

I just can't believe that they won't look at the fact that you've accomplished SO MUCH!!! I mean can't they see that you've not only been clean but also have imporved your overall health in general by losing weight!!!

You have to fight this decision, msarro. I'd keep going back and trying... maybe they will eventually see that you are serious!
    Go for iT!!!
  • msarro
    Options
    The way they handle it is that the recruiter has to talk to his commanding officer to get a waiver, and even if that is granted, its up to a ton of other people along the process to keep approving it. There are people who can be half way through basic training and have a waiver disapproved. So.. its not really something I can just talk to someone about.

I'm going to give it a shot anyways, the worst that happens is they say no. At this point I'm just trying not to get worked up about it... I mean, its something I can't change... and theres no use letting myself get upset about things I can't change, right?

Just kind of feels like a kick in the teeth after everything I've gone through.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    The military can be a pain about those things. I mean I am sure they have their reasons though. Due to the type of work and what soldiers are exposed to past drug use could play a part. Oddly enough, several soldiers I know ended up being drug users AFTER joining. Again, it's exposure to things and situations that could cause use or a relapse.

We all make choices that later we look back on and regret. Sometimes we don't realize how big of an impact they will play til it's too late.

On a positive note, I am proud that you've been clean, that is a wonderful step. Ever think of a Gaurd position or something?
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Well, I think that if you want it bad enough it will happen for you... if you truly want to me in the military then I would keep trying. Eventually, they are going to see that you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it!

Keep your head up and try and try again if it's what you really want in life. :wink:
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Well my husband joined the marines and he had some "drug issues" from his past, maybe you could look into the marine corps? I dont mean to pry, but did you have counceling? I guess its like a 'government standard' no enrolling if youve had any sort of counceling or rehab...
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm sorry it's so difficult! I hope that it works out for you - you have worked so hard and I'm really proud! Being clean for 1+year is a great accomplishment and losing weight and shaping up is the icing on the cake. You've really turned your life around and that is amazing!

I know it's hard to wait for God's timing and direction. *impatiently tapping (stamping) foot* But I trust that he has something totally awesome planned for you - maybe even on the lines of motivating young people to stay away from drugs or helping people who are recovering. But I don't know, and unfortunately you don't know, but God will lead you in His path!

Way to go *cheer* *cheer*!!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It's just like when someone has a record that they can't seem to live past it, or *OTHER* people can't- and that's not fair at all...I'm sorry this is happening =o/
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Yeah, I have heard of MANY people going into the military to "straighten up". Keep fighting for what you want, msarro!
  • msarro
    Options
    The worst part is that I can get a waiver if I committed a felony. But a victimless crime because I was immature leaves me ineligible. It just makes me feel so... low.

Thanks for everything guys, you're helping me get my chin up. I think I'm gonna go work out for a bit to clear my head. Thanks again!!!
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that and it once again makes me wonder what our government is thinking. I too used to be a heavy drug user. I have been clean for over 13 years. I am not that person at all anymore don't even think about using any kind of drugs and live a happy and productive life. I know alot of people in the military, and the ironic part of all this is pretty much every single one of them are severe alcholics. I know it is a big bummer but with your desire to help I bet you will find your perfect niche.
    :glasses:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you are exempt, but DO NOT Let it get you down. Be proud that you are clean and sober and NO more substances!!! That is something to be proud of