Healthy Football Snacks / Drinks

Options
So... I'm a big college football fan and we are having people over for the Florida / South Carolina game tonight (I graduated from Florida and grew up right outside of Gainesville, FL, so I am a fanatical Gator fan). I will be honest, I have almost avoided football this season because I'm trying so hard to lose weight. Does anyone have any ideas for things I can serve my guests without completely blowing my diet?

Replies

• Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm Gator Aulmni too :-) Just had to say Hi :-) I miss my boiled peanuts on game day :-( I'd love to hear other peoples suggestions for game day too!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    guacamole can be OK if you don't go overboard eating it. Avocados are good for you. We make ours with avocados, a little garlic salt, and some soy sauce and mix.

Popcorn too, low butter type, is a low cal snack.

Cheese cubes if you don't go overboard, or turkey slices rolled with cheese.

You can bake your own french fries or potato chips.

Turkey meatballs

Whole wheat low salt pretzels

• Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Chili....pack your recipe with veggies and beans instead of tons of meat, or make it with turkey. Gets the house smelling great too!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    http://search.cookinglight.com/ck-results.html?type=ch:eating smart;sc:recipe makeovers;&Nty=1

You'll have to look through, but they've got nachos, burgers, chicken fingers, spinach artichoke dip, mac and cheese, etc.. all lightened up. A veggie tray with hummus and a sour cream or nonfat yogurt ranch dip is always good too. I agree with making your own fries and chips. They taste really good and you'll know they're better for you. When we're in the mood for something naughty, I like to make chilli cheese potato skins. Just make a nice, light chilli with lean beef or turkey and bake the potatoes, scoop out the insides, fill them with chilli and top with a little cheese. Broil or bake until the cheese melts and it's so good.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I make a "lighter" buffalo chicken dip...

2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
    2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese--light
    1 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's)
    1 cup ranch dressing--light
    2 cups cheddar cheese--2 %
    2 loaves baguette or baked tortilla chips or celery

Drain canned chicken and put in medium sauce pan.
    Add hot sauce and cook on medium until heated throughout. My personal favorite is Frank's hot sauce.
    Add cream cheese and stir until blended thoroughly.
    Add ranch dressing and mix.
    Add 1-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and heat for a few minutes until mixed and melted.
    Pour the dip into the crock pot and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on the top. Keep heated on low.
    I serve on baguette that has been sliced and toasted. However, it is also tasty on corn chips or celery sticks.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Without mentioning any specific recipes, try this:

Instead of beef, use turkey or chicken - They still make a mean nacho!
    Use lowfat dressings...I really enjoy Kroger's fat free ranch.
    Try to eat fruits instead of cookies or cake.
    Drink light beer instead of regular.
    Exercise before the game to burn cals and boost your metabolism.

...or just don't over indulge yourself if you can have that sort of self-control.

I won't eat healthy on Super Bowl day...but maybe instead of eating 5000 calories worth of junk, I can cut it to 2000. Yeah...that's still a lot!