Here we go again!

Options
Howdy howdy everyone! My name is Amanda-Lynn and I'm posting in hopes of gaining some support and MFP friends. I have used MFP for awhile, but took a hiatus for sometime as a result of my health.

At the start of this year I was in a serious car accident, due to extreme road conditions. I suffered a traumatic brain injury, pelvic fracture, avulsion ankle fracture, shoulder dislocation, and found out the hard way that I had undiagnosed adrenal insufficiency. It's been several months and I am still recovering from corrective surgeries and significant post-TBI symptoms. I was placed on high dosed steroids to treat the adrenal problems... that in combination with my inactivity due to my injuries... I BALLOONED up!

Prior to the accident I was at my goal weight and worked out most days of the week (Insanity-a-holic and long distance running). It's been very frustrating trying to lose weight by controlling diet alone, especially since I was exactly where I wanted to be physique-wise. I use a BodyBugg activity tracker, and my total daily energy expenditure is well under 2,000 calories a day. Since I'm still recovering from orthopedic injuries I really cannot workout, at the moment I'm still largely dependent upon a wheelchair for mobility. Hopefully soon I will be learning how to walk again, WOOOOT! Thereby, my deficit at the end of the day is pretty low so my weight loss thus far has been relatively non-existent.

I follow a high fat, low carb diet as you'll see by my food diary. In college, I struggled with my weight as a result of endocrine issues--- something similar happened where my weight increased dramatically in a short period of time. It was like my metabolism just shut down, and I went from 123 lbs. to 160 lbs. In the past following a low carb diet brought me the most success, and I tried MANY diet strategies. I'm hoping this way of eating will do the trick again and allow me to at least maintain, if not lose weight, while I'm unable to workout.

With all that being said I am very interested in gaining some MFP friends while I embark on another weight loss journey. I also recently got into blogging since I am bedridden for most hours of the day and going a bit stir crazy (http://www.medschoolmealprep.weebly.com/home). I love to makeover recipes to optimize their macros to fit my way of eating. Feel free to add me if you're also looking for support. Thanks for hearing my story y'all, the community here is so very supportive!

Replies

• IHeart90s
    IHeart90s Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

Wow, your story is amazing, and most of all I'm glad you are OK and on the road to recovery after your accident. Although obviously not the same at all, I recently tore my Achilles and I was forced to quit any forms of excercise until the darn thing heals. I totally understand your frustration from trying to lose weight from diet alone, so I'll go ahead and add you :drinker:

My diet is not as organized; meaning, I try to stay under and usually eat too much carbs, so I'm still working on that. I also love makeover recipes, so we have that in common, too. :smile:
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Being sidelined is the absolute worst, thanks for the add! I hope you're back on your feet in no time as well!
  • AllisG811
    AllisG811 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. I don't know what to say to make this better so I'm sending you a bunch good vibes. You've got my support.