1200 Calories

Options
I had one pack of oatmeal with a 1/2 tablespoon of light butter and an apple that weighs 3g. I now have 775 calories left for the day. How do people do this? Its no wonder I stay hungry every day.

Replies

• Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try skipping the added fats like the butter and be sure to eat protein with every meal and snack. You can pop a couple of egg whites in the microwave for a minute and add them to a bagel thin for an easy breakfast sandwich. Protein really keeps me full longer than any thing else. Also, don't be affraid to go over the 1200 cal, that is the bare minimum, and if that is to low for you to feel full you will end up quiting. It takes time for you body to adjust. Take it one day at a time and plan ahead.

I hope this helps.
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps give you some extra calories to eat. Water with lemon helps to curb hunger. Try smaller meals spread out to help keep your mind off the hunger.
  • sonya7597
    Options
    I know it appears to be hard; I face the same challange. My target calories is a 1290 and trust when I tell you, I feel a little exasparated when I think about eating because I have to find something that will feel me up and meet my calorie requirement. I try to plan a meal ahead of time, and I find that helps. But when I don't plan.....I end up going over my goal slightly. KEEP TRYING and keep exercising. The exercise burns calories. Don't give up! YOU CAN DO IT!! PLAN AHEAD!
  • Chrystiner
    Options
    are you working out?
    i'm allowed 1540 cals a day, after working out for an hour (lets say i burn 700cals); my cals go up too 2240 cals allowed for the day! (i eat about 5 small meals a day; 100-300 calories allowed per small meal or snack...and i dont feel hungry, sometimes when its time to eat i eat only because i know i have too, not because i feel like im hungry)
    by the end of the day, i eat about 1200-1500 with a lot of calories to spare because of just one workout.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat a VERY filling oatmeal and it's barely any calories. 1/2 cup rolled oats (cooked in 1 cup of water, so it makes a full cup of cooked oatmeal), 1tsp brown sugar, a little bit of milk, and fruit (I like blueberries or chopped apple). 200-300 calories depending on your fruit and milk choice, which would leave you with 900-1,000 left :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bulky low calorie vegetables and fruits!

Oatmeal is good for you, and sticks to your ribs, so this is good to eat. Can you find a low calorie oatmeal? Make sure you have a good portion, not a large portion size. Adding in other things to it adds to your calories, but you get some back if you exercise. Make sure your additives like salad dressing and butter are low calorie, or very small portions.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps give you some extra calories to eat. Water with lemon helps to curb hunger. Try smaller meals spread out to help keep your mind off the hunger.

I agree, exercise for added calories. If you burned 300-500 calories then 1500-1700 would probable be enough to make you feel satisfied with your meals.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    For one, be sure that 1200 is really the right # for you. If you are eating light and healhty and still really hungry, or tired, it might be to little. I found for me 1200 was too little and 1500 was just right. Plus I worked out so I could eat more!

Re the oatmeal, try whole oats and not the packets. You can save some there, especially on sugar. Try I can't believe it's not butter fat free - 5 cals per T!

Also, for me, I sometimes found that I could eat the oatmeal then like 1/2 hour later eat the apple and it kept me full longer just spreading it out a little bit.
  • shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 1200 calories is way too low for you ( un-realistic).

If you normally take in 2500 calories per day, which for your weight probally is or was the case, then if you cut off 500 to 1000 calories per day, then you will loose 1 to 2 lbs per week.
    Set your goal closer to 1500 to 1800 calories per day instead of 1200.

exercise will turn the calorie decrease into a double wammy, and you will loose weight.
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    it has helped me to see what other folks eat (i put a message up asking for friends with open diary's).
    I know for me...i have a few staple meals that are low cal but filling and lots of snacks help. I also get a lot of motivation to exercise because it means i can eat a bit more.
    good luck
  • 25terry
    Options
    1200 calories is really too low and if it is not possible for you to consume that amount then up your daily intake. The key is to balance your calorie intake with regulare exercise. You can consume 2000 calories a day which is ideal for a female, and burn 500-800 calories by doing cardio at either the gym or by walking or jogging. Be realistic about your targets. Setting a low calorie intake is asking for trouble. You will over-eat or starve yourself.
    Good luck everyone ;-)
  • NanaTK
    Options
    This is great advise....I started on this website and my healthier lifestyle two days ago with 1200 as my goal. I was SO hungry yesterday that I could NOT stay within 1200......I am also a type 2 diabetic and am working very hard on my diet so I don't have to go on medication! It helps to hear about everyone else's battle!! Good Luck to all!!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First question?

Why are you limiting yourself to 1200 calories a day...? you are hungry becos you are not eating enough.

What does MFP tell you to set your daily caloric intake as?

Shoot for what MFP says. If you want to go under that goal, use exercise to do that, not food prevention.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables. And exercise. : )
  • peales23
    Options
    Eat things high in fibre as well! The fibre fills you up, and leaves you feeling fuller longer.

Choose whole wheat pastas, breads instead of the white processed varieties.

You can do it!
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    For one, be sure that 1200 is really the right # for you. If you are eating light and healhty and still really hungry, or tired, it might be to little. I found for me 1200 was too little and 1500 was just right. Plus I worked out so I could eat more!

Re the oatmeal, try whole oats and not the packets. You can save some there, especially on sugar. Try I can't believe it's not butter fat free - 5 cals per T!

Also, for me, I sometimes found that I could eat the oatmeal then like 1/2 hour later eat the apple and it kept me full longer just spreading it out a little bit.

I agree! I had to step up to 1500 as well, I just can't handle 1200 without feeling so hungry I could eat my own arm.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was only allowed 1200 calories until I adjusted my goals to lose 1lb a week.......then I got 1420 before exercise.

1200 was just way too low for me at this point and I want to be able to drop calories as I lose weight.

Check your goals and see what you have indicated.......

If you are starving and not happy then you won't stay on it.......you gotta be happy and feel satisfied!

Good luck!
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I do not understand those who limit themselves to 1200 a day. I set mine for 1500 and was hungry so upped it to 1550 -1600 I just recently changed it back to 1550. I refuse to starve myself. If you are hungry eat more. Or as you say you won't stick to it.
  • Harris_C
    Harris_C Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice. My doctor told me to only consume 1200 calories a day when I asked about weight loss. I have never dieted and like to think of this more of a lifestyle change. I started walking two days ago and, surprisingly, I enjoy it. Ultimately, though, losing weight is what I need to happen.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was at 1230 calories per day based on wanting to lose 1lb a week. I didn't get to exercise everyday though and was finding it really hard to stay within my calories. I lowered my loss to 0.5 lb a week which increased my calories to 1450. This is so much more easier to handle.. I don't feel so pressured on days where I can't exercise. So, maybe 1200 calories isn't for you. Try 1400 and see if that is better. You will definitely still lose weight, I am. But try eating denser foods as previous posters have mentioned.