Is Fruit Salad Good For You?

Options
I love fruit salad and it is easier for me to teach the children to eat fruit. I read that fruit salad makes you fat, and since I am in a diet, I wonder if this is true or a myth. In my opinion it is bad if you eat a lot, but a small portion is OK and good. I don't understand how eating a little of different fruits can make you fatter than the same quantity but only 2 pieces of the same fruit.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you consider fruit salad. Some people coat it in sugar syrup or whipped cream and call it a fruit salad.

If it's just cut up fruit mixed together, go nuts. Some people find that moderating sugar intake helps with weight loss, but generally as long as your calories are in line you'll be fine.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad will only make you fat if it makes you go above tour maintenance calories.

Anything can make you fat.

For weight loss, focus on calories. For health, balance your macro / micro targets. Nothing is healthy or unhealthy. Your entire diet determines whether or not you're healthy. If you haven't already, this is a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are no foods that automatically make you fat unless you eat more calories than your body can use in a day. I try not to think of foods as good or bad. Instead, I look to see if they fit into my calorie goals, my macro goals, and whether or not I'm getting everything in my diet that I need (iron, calcium, vitamins, etc.). Sometimes I can do that and still eat some ice cream, too.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad in it's purest form (just fruit) is healthy for you and delicious. Fruit salad can be great for dieters because it is often low calorie with fiber to keep you satisfied.

But I would avoid canned, in syrup, sugared, or fruit salads with whipped topping which has added, nutrient-poor calories.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is great for you! Don't give in to the myths! Fruits and Veggies are healthy! Everything else should be eaten in moderation. As long as you stay under your calorie goal, you are good. The added sugar is what makes it fattening, not the fruit. :)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Food, unless you go over your maintenance calories, will not make you fat.

You could add sugar, whipped cream, and butter to the fruit salad if you wanted to. As long as you stayed at a deficit, you'd lose weight and as long as you stayed at maintenance, you wouldn't gain weight.
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories but I've never known anyone to get fat from eating to many fresh fruits and veggies.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it depends. fruits have sugars in them, which means calories, and some fruits have quite a lot of sugar compared to others. some fruits, like strawberries, are low in calories and high in vitamin C, while a single banana can be 100 or 150 calories, depending on size. some fruits are very high sugar and don't have all that much in the way of vitamins or fiber.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think that fruit is great for you, especially fresh fruit. I stay away from the canned fruits. I think that as along as the fruit fits into your daily calorie intake, eat it,it's healthy!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    store bought stuff will probably have added sugar and several other things added that wouldn't be there if you made your own.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here! Eat all the fruit you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. I do every day, and it's been working great for me.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    real natural fruit salad is good depending when.. better in morning. Contain lots and lots of fructose so it's not the best to lose fat. It's still good sugar but there's a limit here.

Premade canned fruit salad... NO!.... full of added sugard + preservative and chemicals.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Fresh fruit is great for you! Don't give in to the myths! Fruits and Veggies are healthy! Everything else should be eaten in moderation. As long as you stay under your calorie goal, you are good. The added sugar is what makes it fattening, not the fruit. :)

Not really.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    real natural fruit salad is good depending when.. better in morning. Contain lots and lots of fructose so it's not the best to lose fat. It's still good sugar but there's a limit here.

Premade canned fruit salad... NO!.... full of added sugard + preservative and chemicals.

Sure it is if eaten at a deficit with a balanced diet.

Also, ermegerd ebil chemicals
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad is very good for you in moderation like everything else. As said before if it's homemade then fab! eat away without worry! but if it's pre packaged fruit salad then they often add sugar to it (especially if it's marketed towards kids e.g school lunch fruit grab bags) so be wary of that.
    But if it's fresh and home made then it's a great snack! (one of the best in my opinion, i'm a fruit lover)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you eat and what you put in it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad? Oh yeah!

red-white-and-blue-fruit-salad-with-coconut-milk-whipped-cream.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    store bought stuff will probably have added sugar and several other things added that wouldn't be there if you made your own.

But it still won't automatically make you fat unless you're in a calorie surplus.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Fruit salad? Oh yeah!

red-white-and-blue-fruit-salad-with-coconut-milk-whipped-cream.jpg

...omw to your house!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Serve it on top of Greek Yogurt (instead of with whip cream) to get your protein and calcium too.