Eating too little?

Options
I'm a big guy and I'm about 3 weeks into eating better and being more active. At my last weigh-in on Monday, I had lost 6lbs on the previous week! I'm worried that in the last few days my net calories have been no higher than maybe 600; I eat around 1800 a day, but exercise is working it off and I'm concerned I might throw myself into starvation mode. I'm satisfied by how much I've been eating, I don't go hungry, I just don't want to starve myself without realising. Thoughts?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy and I'm about 3 weeks into eating better and being more active. At my last weigh-in on Monday, I had lost 6lbs on the previous week! I'm worried that in the last few days my net calories have been no higher than maybe 600; I eat around 1800 a day, but exercise is working it off and I'm concerned I might throw myself into starvation mode. I'm satisfied by how much I've been eating, I don't go hungry, I just don't want to starve myself without realising. Thoughts?

Stop doing what you are doing at go to the "getting started" section of the forums and read the first two stickies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is extremely generous with the number of calories burned for working out. I stopped logging exercise, lol.

If you're eating well and you aren't hungry, I wouldn't worry about the net calories.

I don't believe in starvation mode. Never even think about that.

Talk to your doctor, though. They can give you better advice that's all about you. :)
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Stop doing what you are doing at go to the "getting started" section of the forums and read the first two stickies.

^^This! Your net calories are too low! Even 1800 calories seems a little low for a 22 year old male.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, your net is too low. Even if you're not hungry, you're not giving your body enough to work with.

Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

To be perfectly honest, I don't think you're burning as much as MFP tells you you are. If I go for a two hour walk, I cut it in half - so I log one hour. I just don't think MFP burns are at all accurate (especially since I have a FitBit now).

But you need to be netting more - eating back at least part of your exercise calories.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is extremely generous with the number of calories burned for working out. I stopped logging exercise, lol.

If you're eating well and you aren't hungry, I wouldn't worry about the net calories.

I don't believe in starvation mode. Never even think about that.

Talk to your doctor, though. They can give you better advice that's all about you. :)

So you are telling a "big guy" that netting 600 calories a day is a good idea? Even 1800 calories a day seems to be low for a big guy who is claiming to burn 1200 calories a day working out. Even if the 1200 is an overestimate, he has to be pretty active to have that # calculated for him. I whole heartedly disagree with your advice :noway: Except the part about talking to a doctor of course.

OP, you are eating too little, bottom line. Use the MFP calculator, and eat back your exercise calories. If you are worried about it overestimating your burn eat back 75% of them. 600 net calories a day is NO BUENO!!