Turkey Rice Bowl - 500 calories

Options
AmZam05
AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
Hi all!

I was aimlessly throwing together some ingredients one night and I ended up with a recipe that is (IMO) delicious AND - yes - nutritious. It's kind of a healthy Americanized version of Chinese fried rice. Ground turkey gives you protein and some fat, brown rice gives you good carbs and the extras give you nutrients and great taste. It's a hair under 500 calories, fills up a decent size bowl, and is very filling and satisfying. It's a favorite for me after an intense cardio workout or strength training session. If you end up trying this recipe please do tell me what you thought! And of course add your own personal touch to it. I will admit it is a little high on sodium the way I normally do it, so this is the lower sodium version.

Turkey Rice Bowl - Serves 2

8 oz lean ground turkey
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1 chicken bullion cube (or substitute with chicken stock/broth)
2 cups chopped kale
2 large eggs
1/2 C sliced black olives
1/2 C black beans (cooked)
Spike natural gourmet seasoning
Dry Cajun seasoning
Pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Add turkey to a medium skillet and season to taste with Spike and Cajun (I use about a teaspoon of each - just personal preference). Brown turkey and drain excess fat. Meanwhile, steam brown rice according to package instructions (1 cup water) with chicken bullion cube. You can also substitute the chicken bullion cube by cooking the rice in chicken stock or broth.

Lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray and scramble two eggs with pepper to taste. Once scrambled, add kale, olives, and beans. Sautee on medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until kale is wilted and bright green.

Mix all prepared ingredients in a large mixing bowl and divide to serve. Voila! My boyfriend likes to add hot sauce for an extra kick, so that is a recommended topping.

Nutrition facts for one serving:

Calories: 498
Total fat: 18
Sat. fat: 4.1
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9
Monounsaturated fat: 3.6
Cholesterol: 275
Sodium: 523.8
Potassium: 362.5
Carbs: 51.2
Fiber: 6.3
Protein: 36.2
Vit A: 212%
Vit C: 138%
Calcium: 19%
Iron: 29.8%

These nutrition facts were generated using 90/10% lean ground turkey, generic brand instant brown rice, canned black olives, canned black beans, fresh chopped kale, 2 large eggs.

Replies

• PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Bump.
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It sounds great! I'll try to make this one over the weekend since I have all ingredients except kale, thanks for sharing :)
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    sounds good!