Who eats just egg whites and why do you do that?

Options

Replies

• Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites by the carton (PC Blue Menu in Canada) and add a quarter cup to my smoothies. If I'm having poached or scrambled eggs, just a couple of times a month, then whole eggs all the way. Ditto for hard-boiled. I cook them six at a time and keep them handy for a quick protein hit or to top my big salads. I eat the whole thing, sometimes mash the yolk with the salad.

For those who don't like hard-boiled yolks, perhaps try cooking them less? I let mine go at full boil for four minutes, then turn off the burner and let them sit for a while, then put them in the fridge. It makes them easier to peel, and you don't get that sulphur taste with the yolk, plus it makes the egg easier to peel.
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried eating just egg whites once... I promptly gave them to my cat and scrambled some whole eggs.
  • johnnyhuff790
    Options
    Just thought you guys might want the numbers...whole egg fried 92 cals, egg white 18 cals...that is a big difference...plenty of protein in the whites, but nothing else. The nutrition is definitely in the yolk, along with about 250mg of cholesterol...but that is another discussion.

I love fresh farm eggs...the yolks definitely have a richer taste...but I love egg whites just fried up or microwaved, on whole wheat toast or with a tortilla...along with some cheese and salsa...divine!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat egg whites with absolutely no yolk is when I make homemade egg white delights (english muffin, canadian bacon, white cheddar, egg whites). The reason is because I usually don't want to spare the calories of the yolk and have my english muffin only taste slightly different. It leaves room for some grapes or something with it. I eat a whole hard boiled egg every single day, though, so I ain't scurred of no yolk. :)
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For omelettes, I prefer egg whites only--because then I can justify adding more cheese to the omelette and stay within my macros. :) Scrambled egg whites are nasty, though.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I buy the cartons of just egg whites. They are great fillers to add to foods and protein shakes to beef up the protein count. It is a very mild flavor, so it goes in anything

Including but not limited to:

Protein shakes (raw, you can't taste it)
    Fried rice
    quinoa, as its cooking
    added to omelettes
    grits
    oatmeal
    ground beef/patties
    cooked and put on top of cheddar rice cakes
    meatballs
    stuffed eggplant, or peppers

and straight egg white omelettes can be made sweet as well as savory, since the savory part of the egg--the yolk--isn't there. I make mine with a packet of Stevia and blueberries, cooked together. Surprisingly really good.

If I use a whole egg, I give the yolk to my son, the cats (it makes their hair glossy), or wash my hair with them (it makes MY hair glossy), so nothing is ever wasted.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled- whites only ( due to taste )
    Fried - Unless they are cooked enough I only eat the whites ( due to taste)
    For Omlettes/Western's - I use a whole egg but add extra egg whites

I gag at runny yolk's :embarassed:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I like egg yolks except when it's hard boiled eggs. Don't know why that is....

ETA
    Maybe it's because I like really runny yolks?

^ THIS
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    When I eat eggs it is nothing but the whole egg or nothing now. Thanks to science and me finally seeing the science debunking the whole cholesterol issue with eggs and food in general.

I am the opposite with hard boiled eggs tan most. I cannot stand the hard boiled egg white and if there is not part of the yolk there for flavor, I just will not eat it. The yolk is where all the flavor and nutrition is.

I will admit a lot of times for omelettes I use Egg Beaters Southwestern Style. I do this for breakfast because it is low cal but tastes phenomenal. It allows me to add more turkey sausage, natural hash browns and cheese to my morning meal.
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I HATE the taste of egg yoke.

It stems from being forced to eat easy over eggs as a child. "You will sit here until your eggs are gone." Runny cold nastiness. Thinking about it makes me gag.

If eggs are in something cooked and the taste is not singled out then whole eggs are fine. Even omelets with lots of veggies and such some yolk can sneak in if the taste does not take over.

Boiled or fried eggs require that the yolk comes out.Yuck yuck yuck!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I could never throw good food away like that! There's never a time when I have to eat low fat enough to get rid of the best part of the egg.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I make a 1 whole egg + 1 egg white(liquid) omelette for lunches or breakfasts. Just makes a bit more volume without the extra cals. But I totally agree, egg whites alone are completely tasteless
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat them because there is way less cholesterol, fat and calories. Plus if I add in some salsa it tastes really good anyway. Though I do love yolks. I will sometimes throw in a whole egg hard boiled with a salad for lunch or something
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It is low in calories and i can eat more of them. Also I am watching my cholesterol so I dont eat the yokes.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do, in meringue. As in lemon meringue pie and meringue cookies. Of course the lemon curd part of the pie contains the yolks.
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I seriously cannot be arsed separating the yolk from the white.
    And wtf would I do with all the yolks? I'm too tight to chuck them...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Preach.

It should be against the laws of man...

...and is already against the laws of nature.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Who eats just 1(or two, or three) slice(s) of pizza/cake/etc. and why do you do that?

For me, the answer to both this and the OP question is....calorie/macro control.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites from a carton...to bulk up my scrambled whole eggs for more volume and protein without the calorie hit...but that's it...the nutrition is in the yolk.

^^This^^

Eggs: just another reason to love chickens...!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I seriously cannot be arsed separating the yolk from the white.
    And wtf would I do with all the yolks? I'm too tight to chuck them...

2 words: creme brulee :love: