Desire to eat at night

Options
2»

Replies

• twyliatepeka
    twyliatepeka Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can we start a Night Eaters Anonymous? I do the same thing. I hate it & I'm working on it but it is tough.
  • lanigirl143
    lanigirl143 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's really helpful to drink water when you get that initial "I need to eat something just because feeling" it usually helps for me. But the easier way to avoid eating would be to go to sleep earlier, but I struggle with that.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as Nightime eating syndrome. Not sure if this is what is affecting you but I have it. I have tried everything for about 18 years to cure or just curb it. Its as soon as I lay down to go to sleep and then I wake up several times during the night. The only way I can lose weight now is by tracking my binges. Before midnight and after midnight so they carry over into the next day. Sad but it works for me. I have talked about it a lot but I don't think I have slept through the night in 18 yrs but maybe a handful of times even on medication.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You restrict too much during the day, your willpower breaks down and in the evening you are tired and your willpower runs out.
    You might need to give yourself some more space, settle for a bit smaller deficit, so you stop with the bingelike behaviour during the evenings.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I deal with it by eating low calorie foods and or a fatty or protein rich food. (Almonds for instance) either you get away with eating large volume and not wrecking diet or you take a little calorie hit without still being hungry. Also I typically make room for my after work snacks, protein shake after workout for instance. I plan them in other words. I eat very few snacks that I didn't plan for.
  • dayv27
    dayv27 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's really helpful to drink water when you get that initial "I need to eat something just because feeling" it usually helps for me. But the easier way to avoid eating would be to go to sleep earlier, but I struggle with that.

I've been trying the "water first", instead of snacking. Have a big glass of water, wait a bit and see if I'm still hungry. Most of the time it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Getting into better habits has been my solution.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello

My name is Dances with Wow..

Could nt help it Im addicted to questions?

How does one know what a healthy behavior is if one has never seen or participated consciously in the act..?

Eating at night is common and may be just how your metabolic clock has been programmed..
    Most people have this behavior because it has been mimicked or rehearsed thousands of time.. while growing up
    so its a learned response..to retiring from the day..

You can also take on this behavior from your peers.. college is a great example of just doing what you have watched others do year after year after year after year..

Its an indelible imprint, like a splinter in your mind..
    eating at night also is a lifestyle choice..This is by far the easiest to over come because its simply substituting one lifestyle activity for one that takes you away from either eating out of boredom, eating out despair, eating out of being alone, eating out being a zombie to your day.

Habituation..can occur from all these things..but can be disrupted with changing what leads up to the consequence and familiarity of nothing to do but eat.

The other two learned response are not so easy to interrupt because they are branded in the psyche..
    To undo..these..

before you eat..
    Just try to make sure its the right stuff..Instead of fighting urge replace the stuff with good stuff..Most of the time ruffage works this means your eating because of a foraging habit...forage eating means you simply cant find what it is you really have taste for and you just want it in your mouth looking for a flavorful taste.. If you are forage eater.. substitute with...chips and salty foods with crispy low sodium foods and beneficial fats

Rice cakes. baked pita chips, flat bread crackers - top dip or spread with humus, honey, apple or fig preserves.. even plain cream cheese if you have a protein such as egg or tuna with it.

If you still find your self unable to unplug from eating at will.. try to counter balance by
    using the next morning 12 to 20 minutes earlier awake time to raise your cardio vascular system before the noon food energy reset to the evening hormone shift.

Eating late places a beating on your lipolytic enzyme count.. when your lypolytic enzyme hormones becomes lost in translation,, unwanted body fat weaponizes.shields go up.. fat rises and plumps up..because you are steadily feeding your system with foods that really fakes out your sleep cycle

finally if all else fails do not call a doctor ..this is not a medial situation this a situation that willpower cant fix, nor a physician because most likely they are doing the same thing..

What might work best.. is do a food energy audit.. on all the snacks in the house..and try and make a game of filling your pantry with not double digit sugar sources of snacks but single digit versions. This way freewill wont step in and try to under mind the little voice in your head screaming discipline.. wheres your discipline..

and your answer is up yours I will eat because I worked hard I deserve this..
    and thus the cycle start all over again

My name is Dances with Wow..

I bring life force to lives love and leisure..
  • fuzzyps
    fuzzyps Posts: 1
    Options
    Dances with Wow, can you please say more on the following or point me in the direction of where i can find out further information:

If you still find your self unable to unplug from eating at will.. try to counter balance by
    using the next morning 12 to 20 minutes earlier awake time to raise your cardio vascular system before the noon food energy reset to the evening hormone shift.

Eating late places a beating on your lipolytic enzyme count.. when your lypolytic enzyme hormones becomes lost in translation,, unwanted body fat weaponizes.shields go up.. fat rises and plumps up..because you are steadily feeding your system with foods that really fakes out your sleep cycle

thanks Liam
  • CLA1134
    CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes! Night time eating is my kryptonite. It doesn't help that we eat dinner as a family between 4-6 and I don't roll into bed until 8-10 hours later at 2 am. I basically have another half a day in there I should be eating. But, I can't. If I eat anything passed 8 or 9 I see it, literally, in my face the next morning. I doesn't matter if it's a banana, left over pizza, or a tub of ice cream. I feel terrible the next day, groggy (or I should say more groggy then normal). It sucks. Nigh time eating is a big reason how I got to this weight. So no, you're not alone.

It's funny, this topic always makes me think of an Oprah episode I saw decades ago. She was going on about how you don't eat past something like 7:00, "not even a grape." It's totally true, for me anyway.