Looking for input!

Options
I'm going to be changing the way I eat and need help with balanced meals. I am not intrested in any powders or additives, I dont take any vitamins other then vitamin d and folic acid, when I remember(its not uninformed either, my doctor doesnt reccomend vitamins unless you're actually deficient in something). Anyway, I have pretty much no aversion to any food, I will eat mostly all fruits or vegetables, meats, and grains. I am going to be limiting meat intake to once a week, still consuming some dairy and eggs, but mostly the rest will be veggies/fruits/grain/legumes. First, where can you find a concise list of nutrition information on whole foods like beans, nuts, seeds, veggies etc? I do not want to try eating this way and give up because I havent properly balanced my meals. Also, if I made one meal a smoothie, what would be suffiecient nutrition? Thus far I have made smoothies with the following ingredents: Usually 1 banana, 1/2 cup to 1 cup of frozen fruit like blueberries(or mangos/cherries/strawberries), handful of nuts(walnuts/pecans), and either mixed with coconut milk(the carton variety unflavoured), or with 1/2 cup greek yogurt topped off with a bit of water for blending. It keeps me full but I guess im just wondeing if its sufficient for a meal if I started the 5 meal a day approach? Im not extreme in regards to eating the exact same meals everyday, I want variety but dont know where to start. Any good cook books or blogs? Also, what kind of protein should be consumed in a day? I do not want to over do it! Thanks for any tips or advice, its appreciated! Oh I have to mention I am currently breastfeeding a 2.5 month old so Im not adverse to a bit of extra healthy fats, I dont want to be lacking in the calorie department.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I can handle the cookbook part, the rest I struggle with, too, I tend to just google ingredients to see what their nutritional value is, and use Cronometer to calculate my daily intake (MFP is great and I use it too, but Cronometer has a better layout for checking every last micro-nutrient).

Lots of good cookbooks out there. Lots specializing in vegetarian and vegan or both. Oh She Glows, Fire Engine 2 (google it there are also recipes online), and Happy Herbivore are just off the top of my head, but I recommend you go to the store or library and take the time to find the one that has the best recipes for your current cooking proficiency and tastes.

Don't look at my diary for any ideas, I'm still learning to balance, plus I've had a nasty cold all week and my appetite is gone!

Also if you're going mostly vegan or vegetarian, there are good subforums on MFP. Search Groups. Happy Herbivore is my favorite.
  • NorthernCardinal
    NorthernCardinal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    greatist.com just had a very good article on vegetarian and vegan protein sources.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    greatist.com just had a very good article on vegetarian and vegan protein sources.

This is a great site, bookmarking.

But I have to giggle at the thought of ancient Buddhist monks eating faux turkey!

"First created more than a thousand years ago as a meat substitute for Chinese Buddhist monks, seitan is made by mixing gluten (the protein in wheat) with herbs and spices, hydrating it with water or stock, and simmering it in broth."
  • NorthernCardinal
    NorthernCardinal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh geeze that is a funny idea lol! Thanks for the link!