Hard-boiled eggs

Options
Do they keep?

I'm looking for something that I can make/eat in a short period of time for weekday mornings. Are hard-boiled eggs the kind of thing I can make a whole batch of on Sunday and have them for the rest of the week?

(I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never even had hard-boiled eggs. If my mother doesn't like it, it's never been in the house. Thank goodness for my step-mother introducing me to new things.)

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think so... I've had hard-boiled eggs up to 5 or 6 days out, but after that I get scared to eat them. I do know uncooked eggs last waaaay beyond their expiration date, lol.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's what I do, when I remember.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep - I've done that several times. I don't know if they last beyond a week, but during the week you should be fine.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I think so... I've had hard-boiled eggs up to 5 or 6 days out, but after that I get scared to eat them. I do know uncooked eggs last waaaay beyond their expiration date, lol.

Yeah, like 5 weeks past, from what I've read for raw eggs.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I hard boil eggs on Sunday and eat them throughout the week. I just make sure I don't peel the shell until I am about to eat it. They are a GREAT portable protein source!
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would not eat a week-old hard boiled egg. Try making them twice a week. Spacing 3-4 days would be safer.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it!

Thanks for all your replies =)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Make on Sunday and eat Monday-Friday = fineeee. On Friday the eggs will only be 5 days old. That's fineeeee.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    From eHow
    A hard-boiling an egg must be refrigerated within two hours of cooking. Hard-boiled eggs can keep for up to a week in a refrigerator. Peeled hard-boiled eggs stored in the refrigerator must be used within a few days.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_5439167_long-boiled-eggs-good.html
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating some from Easter. They were fine.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use eHow as a source, really. While it's best to refrigerate hard-boiled eggs, they can stay unrefrigerated for days and still be fine.
  • christyserenity
    christyserenity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating some from Easter. They were fine.

LOL! I just died....
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I cook them about 8 to 10 eggs at a time... and I eat 2 a day for breakfast.. so 4 to 5 days and then a new batch.

I use the Martha Stewart approach to boiling eggs and they turn out fantastic every time!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The keep for quite a long time, actually. I even read somewhere that once they are cooked, something happens to a certain enzyme in them that keeps them from spoiling. (I could be wrong, it just hard it somewhere, lol) They keep in the shell refrigerated, or if you shell them and store them submerged in pickle juice, they can keep for weeks and weeks. They slowly soak up the pickle juice, and eventually turn varying shades of green, depending on how long they've steeped. It makes them taste like potato salad, and they're delicious. We call them "rattlesnake eggs". :smile: My two year old is obsessed with them, and cries when they're gone, because it takes a few days for them to really get good.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I make 10 on Sunday and eat two a day through the work week. I've been doing this for quite a long time and have not had any problems doing this.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I do that every week. I've had them hard-boiled two weeks old, no discernible difference at all!
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I make a dozen at a time and they keep very well.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I keep them for up to a week, refrigerated and still in the shell. Great for a quick snack or to add to packed lunches.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes, store them in a bowl of water in the fridge. The water keeps the shell moist so its easy to peel off
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The keep for quite a long time, actually. I even read somewhere that once they are cooked, something happens to a certain enzyme in them that keeps them from spoiling. (I could be wrong, it just hard it somewhere, lol) They keep in the shell refrigerated, or if you shell them and store them submerged in pickle juice, they can keep for weeks and weeks. They slowly soak up the pickle juice, and eventually turn varying shades of green, depending on how long they've steeped. It makes them taste like potato salad, and they're delicious. We call them "rattlesnake eggs". :smile: My two year old is obsessed with them, and cries when they're gone, because it takes a few days for them to really get good.

Is this the cheap person's method of pickling eggs? ;)

I will echo the people above. I cook about 5 days' worth at a time. They keep fine.

Also, great trick to peel them: They're easiest to peel cold from the fridge(we probably all know that), but I roll them around on my counter to crack the shell all over. You can then usually get the shell off in one piece because it all stays together. The membrane under the shell holds everything together and I don't have a time-consuming process and subsequent mess to deal with.