Post menopause weight loss

Options
So, this is the first time in years that I have tried to lose weight. and the first time since I went through menopause that I've tried. So, is losing weight even possible. I've lost 4 pounds in 50 days. I notice lots of changes in my body - and improvements in my fitness level, aerobic capacity, and a general improvement in my outlook and vitality, but how do I actually start to lose weight steadily?

Replies

• christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We're probably about the same age, and I find that it generally takes me about 10 days to lose a pound rather than 7. Also, be sure you've chosen the right activity level for your life. And measure everything! Best of luck, and hang in there. I'm closing in on 150 days and 17 pounds, so it CAN be done!:happy:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Keep logging in, keep to your calorie goal. Don't eat back all your exercise calories. Keep trying! This is the first time I've lost weight in a while. It's slow, but steady. Every little progress keeps me trying longer. Put in as many measurements as you can, too. Because your shape will change sometimes, instead of your weight.

I'm peri-menapausal and it's so much harder than when I was younger. You have a lot of company here. Friend me! We can cheer each other on! Lets do it!
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible - just really hard! I had lost about 60# a couple of years ago then had ankle surgery about a year and a half ago which kept me from exercises for over a year. Needless to say I put about 30# back on. While I was recovering from ankle surgery I had to have emergency surgery to remove my ovaries which threw me into menopause. NOW I'm back to working and and eating better but MAN the weight is SSLLLOOOOWWWW to come off! But slow weight loss is better anyways so........
    Keep at it! Be strong! It will happen! :happy:
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible! I've lost 10 pounds in 40 days. I'm only scheduled to lose one pound a week so I'm happy with my progress. The most important thing is, I feel so much better. I'm sleeping better and have a lot more energy. I'm pretty good at logging in all my food and I exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day. Main thing is to exercise and then eat most of your exercise calories. I was in a weight loss program several years ago, and looking back, I think they were starving me!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible! I've lost 10 pounds in 40 days. I'm only scheduled to lose one pound a week so I'm happy with my progress. The most important thing is, I feel so much better. I'm sleeping better and have a lot more energy. I'm pretty good at logging in all my food and I exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day. Main thing is to exercise and then eat most of your exercise calories. I was in a weight loss program several years ago, and looking back, I think they were starving me!
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You have proved you can do it. You've already lost 4 pounds in 50 days. Yay! Sounds like you are experiencing other positive changes - fitness, outlook, vitality. Yay! Slow and steady is the way to go. I'm 55 and post menopause with a tendency towards low thyroid and have lost 27 pounds since logging every day on MFP since May. Do not let negative thinking take hold.