Pes anserine bursitis - Runners

Options
I recently started a jogging regiment, and after a week and a half had to stop due to bursitis in my knee, specifically in the pes anserinus. I had this issue once before, years ago, when I was much heavier.

Does anyone else have this issue? What do you do to prevent it?

Replies

• version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been debilitated by bursitis in the past, too, and it's definitely not any fun. Best thing that worked for me after I was affected was to just rest....instead of jogging, I lifted weights and ate sensibly for 4 weeks.

For prevention, I think the best thing to do is to lose some weight via walking and eating properly first. When you're within a reasonable range of your ideal weight for your height (+/- 15%), then you can move back into jogging. Your bones, tendons, and bursae evolved to carry a pretty tight range of weight. If you weigh well beyond that, the repeated shocks caused by jogging can take it's toll on the cushioning of all your joints.
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to follow-up post on this, in case anyone else has similar issues.

After taking it bit easy for a week and a half I was pretty much recovered. Recovery involved the typical RICE stuff (Rest Ice Compression Elevate), and I also did a lot of stretching and squats/lunges to strengthen my quads and hamstring. After 2 weeks, I was chomping at the bit for a run.

I'm pretty sure my issue was that I was not stretching my hamstring sufficiently, the area that I had irritated was where the hamstring connects to the shin bone, and I think the tightness is what caused the irritation. As a precaution, I'm giving myself plenty of time to stretch before running, and making sure my hamstrings are nice and loose. On off days, I stretch and do a few sets of squats and lunges.

I just finished my third 2 mile run this week, and feel great.