treadmill work out?

2»

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    hey i have been trying to loose some weight for over two months now, im rather a large person (obese) as the professionals would say, i have been doing rather well with my workouts on the treadmill i brought a dvd but i got bored of it after a few weeks, i must try it again soon, as it was fun to start with,
    well we have a home treadmill that has a weight loss setting it has 9 levels i have started it four days ago and so far i am enjoying it but im not sure it will make me losse weight? i do levels 1 to 5 ever day works out about 2 hours of walking a day below is my workout,
    i am just wondering is this good or should i be running or jogging? i am eating a rather healthy diet and have cut down on alot of sweets and sugary foods, i am trying to eat about 1500 calories a day rather than my 3000 calories per day, any help on this subject would be helpful,xx

All for 24 mins with 1 min cool down on each level

Level 1- 146 calories burnt
    1.6mph -2mins 0 incline 2.8mph -2mins 3 incline

Level 2- 164calories burnt
    1.8mph -2mins 0 incline 3.0mph -2mins 4 incline

Level 3- 189calories burnt
    2.0mph -2mins 1 incline 3.2mph -2mins 5 incline

Level 4- 209calories burnt
    2.2mph -2mins 1 incline 3.4mph -2mins 6 incline

Level 5- 238calories burnt
    2.4mph -2mins 2 incline 3.6mph -2mins 7 incline

Sounds like you are on your way to living a healthier lifestyle. In my experience I started by setting a set amount of time for cardio. It didn't matter what speed, angle, or type, just that I put in the time to build the mental commitment that I was going to spend an hour doing cardio no matter what(develops the healthy habit). After a while of simply walking on an eliptical I started to push myself at my own pace to improve by doing an extra mile in the same amount of time and so on as I built up endurance and strength. I also would mix up the type of cardio whenever I was feeling bored, but rowing on one day or doing a bike on another. Eventually when I went from 270 down to 220 I started using a treadmill because I knew I had weak knee's and shins from a decade of non-activity. Fast walking(3.5 mph) on a treadmill was a lot tougher than running on an elliptical. I could run at a pace of 7mph on an elliptical for 2 hours by this time, but I could only fast walk for a little longer than thirty minutes on a treadmill before my knees and shins began to hurt. Over time when I reached 200 lb's I could run/ jog on a treadmill at a pace of 6.8mph for 45 min before switching to a 15 minute cool down. It was at this time I started to run outside and again switching from a treadmill to pavement was a difficult process as other muscles were engaged for stability. I could barely run for 20 minutes on pavement before being completely out of breath and my legs killing me.

This is all to say that it takes time and there are benefits for each type of cardio and depending on your weight it might not be reasonable to expect yourself to simply be able to start by running on a treadmill. The most important factor for weight loss is the amount of time you sustain your heart rate at an elevated rate. I would keep mine between 150-160 and gradually as I lost weight and built endurance I simply had to move a bit faster to keep my heart at that pace. Good luck.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    As long as you're eating a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. That's what makes you lose weight.

As far as the calories you're burning on the treadmill, I would invest in a heart rate monitor, because what the machine estimates can be farily inaccurate.
  • HeydrichSS3
    HeydrichSS3 Posts: 4 Member
    You burn the same calories walking a mile as you do running a mile, you just burn them faster running. Also some argue that you burn calories longer AFTER running than you do AFTER walking. I dunno enough about that to comment. But I can tell you tracking distance is much more accurate than tracking speed.
  • tracystire
    tracystire Posts: 17 Member
    You cannot out train a bad diet - so food and food quality intake is vitally important to a healthier you! And, honest to God, ditch the treadmill!! They are NOTORIOUS for over estimating your calorie burning by up to 30%!! Instead, you can spend a fraction of the time doing a short HIIT workout only 3Xs per week and a fun 30 minute activity the rest of the days -the last thing you want to do is overdo it and hurt yourself. Just Google it or punch it in on Youtube...there are tons of FREE ones to do out there. Personally, I recommend Turbulence Training workouts only because I know FOR SURE that they work - I am also an "obese" person - 9 weeks in and down at least 2 sizes in clothes and feeling great!
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    You cannot out train a bad diet - so food and food quality intake is vitally important to a healthier you! And, honest to God, ditch the treadmill!! They are NOTORIOUS for over estimating your calorie burning by up to 30%!! Instead, you can spend a fraction of the time doing a short HIIT workout only 3Xs per week and a fun 30 minute activity the rest of the days -the last thing you want to do is overdo it and hurt yourself. Just Google it or punch it in on Youtube...there are tons of FREE ones to do out there. Personally, I recommend Turbulence Training workouts only because I know FOR SURE that they work - I am also an "obese" person - 9 weeks in and down at least 2 sizes in clothes and feeling great!

HIIT workouts are nice, but they might be a bit too much mentally for someone who is just starting out. As long as they put in the time at this point, that is all that matters.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

HIIT workouts are nice, but they might be a bit too much mentally for someone who is just starting out. As long as they put in the time at this point, that is all that matters.
    I agree with this and I'm a treadmill hater. :laugh: Given that the OP is fairly new to all of this, owns a treadmill and relieves the boredom by watching TV while she's using it, there's no reason not to continue to use it for the time being. Eventually, boredom will set in and then it'll be time to find something new, exciting and more challenging.