GU gels input

Options
I was wondering if anyone uses the GU gels and if they really work? I saw them in the track store but was wondering if I would be able to use them to help me get thru working out after work when I am really dragging?

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't know about using them for a workout. I have used them for endurance races (24hr race, 6hr race ect..) and they have helped me. In fact I just did a 24hr 2 weeks ago. During one lap was feeling really slow, sluggish and felt cramps coming on, took a gel and within minutes was back hammering the pedals.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yup, I keep some on me when cycling. I have had to turn to GU once for a quick blood sugar spike, it worked well.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I will use powergels in races over the half marathon distance, but if you're working out for less than 2-3 hours, you shouldn't really need them. They are made for endurance events when you are in danger of depleting your entire glycogen store, not for average workouts. If you are having a ton of problems getting through a normal workout, its it probably an overall nutrition problem.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I use Hammer Gel, which is similar to a Gu. They are basically quick digesting carbs/sugar that is there to give you a slight boost. I normally use them during races, when the races are long, hard, or I'm carrying my ruck. They really help me get some quick energy in me and keep my muscles from cramping during the longer races.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Gels are really only needed if you're doing cardio exercise in excess of 75 minutes or so. The gels are typically used by long-distance runners, triathletes, and cyclists. If this is you... yes, the gels will definitely help you from boinking on a run or ride. If you're talking about 60 minutes or less at the gym or strength-training (any duration) the gels are only going to add back quick digesting carbohydrates and probably contradict your goal. (I can't say for sure because I don't know what your goal is!)

If you're thinking about using gels, experiment with different types. Some people have upset-tummy reactions to some gels. I personally can't stand that taste of GU and have trouble keeping them down. When I was running long, I liked the PowerBar Energy Gels with caffeine the best but it's all about your personal preference.

Hope that helps!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Yes. I feel they help on anything over an hour. I do one every 45 minutes.
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Slurped these babies at mile 10 during a half, and finished the last 3 miles in personal record 21 minutes. Not sure if that cheating or psychosomatic, but they worked for me.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Back when I used to do a lot of long rides - 90 minutes plus - I'd have one half way through my ride. I was eating power bars & switched to GU because it's easy on the stomach.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't find they do anything if your race is under 2 hours, I use them every 45 minutes for races in the 2-6 hour range and notice a boost, especially near the end.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just took a look at your profile... if you're needing help with energy for your 30-day shred or elliptical workouts, these won't help. I'd have to agree with an earlier poster that it may be an overall nutrition problem or a nutrition timing problem.

Try to have a snack (real food, not gel) with some carbs in it 20-30 minutes before your workouts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i prefer the flavor and consistency of the Cliff Shots.

that being said, if you plan on using them for a race, you should plan to use them in your work outs. you want to take one every 30-60 minutes, depending on a number of factors. i have yet to find the sweet spot of when i need one.

you always want to drink water immediately after using one. something about it having sugar and it sends your kidneys into overdrive or something like that. so if you don't carry water with you, maybe get used to doing so. or for race day, when you see the water station, take the gel.

pre-work out, they say to take it with water 15-30 minutes before your work out, especially for shorter work outs. long runs you can and should take the opportunity to train fasted to tap into your own glycogen stores.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Yup, I keep some on me when cycling. I have had to turn to GU once for a quick blood sugar spike, it worked well.

so its some hi carb food supliment?
    Slurped these babies at mile 10 during a half, and finished the last 3 miles in personal record 21 minutes. Not sure if that cheating or psychosomatic, but they worked for me.

i'm assuiming its really more psychosomatic... i mean, if you feel as though you exerpienced a jolt of energy that you've never gotten from food, the only alternative is that there is an active ingredient in it (drug) and thats not generally what people want.

for the op...
    i would also agree that your generally better off eating food and suppliments are more for convience (like when your on a really long bike race). better planing of your nutrition might be a better option.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

so its some hi carb food supliment?

i'm assuiming its really more psychosomatic... i mean, if you feel as though you exerpienced a jolt of energy that you've never gotten from food, the only alternative is that there is an active ingredient in it (drug) and thats not generally what people want.

for the op...
    i would also agree that your generally better off eating food and suppliments are more for convience (like when your on a really long bike race). better planing of your nutrition might be a better option.

well, they do have 24 g of carbs and12g of sugar, and some have the equivalent of two shots of espresso in them. i'm sure it played it's part combined with the adrenaline of a race.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    unless you're doing endurance training- you shouldn't be needing to fuel your workouts.

Otherwise- compete like you train- train like you compete- if you use them for races- use them for rides/runs/swims- maybe not all of them- but some of them.

Use what works- I used to use GU when it first came out years ago when I was horse racing- it worked. Not fun- not tasty- but served a purpose- so they were great. Would still use them if I was doing the same things.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I used them when i ran a half marathon. I didnt really notice a difference.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I think what you want is something called a "preworkout" or pre-workout supplement. Something like C4 or N.O.-Explode or Assault are the more popular brands. You can go into GNC or Vitamin World to get something like this.

Gels like Gu or Hammer will supplement long sustained cardio workouts like running a marathon by supplying energy on the go when your body starts to deplete of gycogen stores. Something you most likely not encounter while strength training.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    GU gels input
    Generally you take them orally. That's the recommended method of input.
    The general effect is half mental and half physical. Your brain runs on pure carbs. That's all it can use. When you're 10 miles into a 13 mile run your body has probably used all the easily available carbs in your bloodstream and it's busy converting fat to carbs for fuel. The gels are just a tiny bump to assist in getting your blood sugar levels back up closer to normal. Some do add in caffeine to help give you more mental clarity but that's about the extent of it. It lowers your perceived amount of effort

You're talking about 100 - 110 calories. That's not even enough energy for a mile but is enough of a change to help your focus and bring you closer to full power than you can do alone.
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It most likely is a nutrition problem, I recently within the last few months started changing my eating habits to lose weight and get in better shape. I just signed up for my first 5k on friday and want to start doing more longer runs. I am still learning about macros and calories and probably have cut down too much since I dont seem to have the energy for the cardio. I am eating about 1400 calories a day, sometimes a little more depending on the fitbit adjustment but not sure if im doing it right, im losing about 1 to 2lbs a week but have been going up and down the past week or 2 lose 1-2lbs few gain 1/2-1lbs and back and forth but its still going down but I dont feel like im starving but no energy so was looking to find something to help with that.
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    GU gels input

Generally you take them orally. That's the recommended method of input.

I hope so, the other way would be pretty tricky during a run :D
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    you don't need a gel for anything shorter than 45 minutes.