How do you go on vacation/to events with lots of food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    IMHO?

Turn off MFP for the duration and have a blast. But walk wherever you can and go for some runs/workouts. Drink water as you would at home. Dont weigh yourself until 24 hours after your return.

Then when you get back a week or so of clean MFP eating and working out should clear up the majority of the bloat/gain and you will be back on track in no time.

Barring medical reasons there are times when you have to put this stuff to one side and live.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You will gain some weight and that will be water weight/bloat from the flight and any traveling. So please prepare for that.

1- make sure you are staying hydrated

2- eat everything. you get this once in a life time.. PORTION control.

3- don't be upset.. allow yourself to gain a little.. 5lbs wont make a huge difference. if you spend the whole trip making it about your diet.. you will most likely end up ruining your trip and the others around you. let GO

4- When you can walk somewhere then walk same with taking the stairs...Go for moonlight walk after dinner.. etc.

I travel a lot. When I go to Europe, especially, this is my approach, except maybe portion control. If it's good, I will probably eat the whole serving. Even I gain some, I think it's worth the experience. You never know when you might be back. Enjoy yourself, stay active and bring home memories that will stay with you forever.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Watch portion size. Log everything. Walk everywhere. Have fun!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I go for my 2 week vacation to Greece in a little over 4 weeks time, will I put weight on while I am there.....almost certainly.

Eating local foods and drinking the local wine and ouzo is all part of the fun of the holiday and some of those sweet pastries are fantastic. Lamb is the staple meat and quite fatty although there will be plenty of seafood as well

I will get a fair bit of exercise swimming and walking while there, which will help

The way I look at holidays is that I didn't gain all my weight on one day or ever two weeks and if I put on 5 lbs then I know that I have the tools to lose it again in 5 weeks or so

We shouldn't let food ruin our lives by over eating but then we shouldn't let it rule our lives either
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want while on vacation

This, absolutely.

My advice:

Ignore MFP. Eat what you choose. Enjoy the hell out of an amazing vacation. Drink fine wine, eat great bread and cheese. Walk, explore, and enjoy.

Return. The day you do, go back to logging. Log diligently. Get back to your exercise routine immediately. Avoid the scale.

Weigh in two weeks later. You will not have gained.

This is how healthy people do it, as far as I've surmised. I don't know a single fit, healthy weight person who frets about what they'll eat on vacation. Since my goal is to be a fit, healthy weight person, this is how I roll too. So far, so good. I lost 130 pounds - and have maintained that loss for almost two years - never once logging food while on vacation.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    dear god. it's paris. live a little and eat all teh foodz.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    savor all of your choices. Eat a small amount of each. Watch your portions but one day will not undo you. Slow down and really taste and enjoy your food. Do not feel guilty you will only want to eat more. Pay attention to your body. You will most likely be full before you know it. Make sure you are stating hydrated and drinking plenty of water. :) Good luck and enjoy :D
  • MarcieSwitzer
    MarcieSwitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I tend to lose on vacation. I think I have more fun stuff to do that food isn't an issue. This is when I'm grateful for my food allergies. Some of them are pretty bad, so I have to pack food wherever I go.

I seriously worry about suggestions you don't remember your goals. However, remember that you don't have to fill yourself up. Slow down, enjoy each bite and stop eating when you are satisfied. I'm sure there is plenty to do that doesn't involve food.