Eating one meal per day?

Options
I was wondering if anyone has ever done the one meal per day diet and had success. I have done alot of research and have found alot of science behind this method. I am in search of success stories or personal experience with this. If you can share with me, that would be great!!! Thank you!!!:smile:

Replies

• Kirstyjem
    Kirstyjem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it but it's making me hungry just thinking about it! I think I would keel over and die :sick:
    Be interesting to see if anyone has done it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There is at least one group on this site and several threads: intermittent fasting
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    The science is thermodynamics. Eat less than your TDEE and you will lose weight. Timing of meals is purely personal preference and has no bearing on weight loss. It's about sustainability. If you can do one meal a day and get your required caloric intake, go for it! If not, don't fret about when to eat, only that you eat your allotted calories to remain in a deficit and feel satiated throughout the day and don't risk binging or relapsing on old habits
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do 1MAD works for me. I love it, wish I had found it years ago. Search the groups for intermittent fasting .
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I do this.

It's 5-10 courses and takes me nearly all day to finish.

Really? Scientific research?
    Colour me skeptical.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable. Just eat less calories than you burn and eat them whenever you want.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The science is thermodynamics. Eat less than your TDEE and you will lose weight. Timing of meals is purely personal preference and has no bearing on weight loss. It's about sustainability. If you can do one meal a day and get your required caloric intake, go for it! If not, don't fret about when to eat, only that you eat your allotted calories to remain in a deficit and feel satiated throughout the day and don't risk binging or relapsing on old habits
    Agreed

Deficit is key. Eat 1000 times a day or once...just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Will one method lose weight faster than the other? nobody knows...everybody is different.
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I fast during Ramadan and gain weight every year. While there is a proven science to intermittent fasting, the weight loss is not sustainable and, more importantly, is not healthy. I don't know your situation, but what if you spread out whatever you were going to eat for that one meal over several hours? Though I personally do not support that low of a calorie intake, it could be a good way to trick your metabolism. Water is also your best friend in that situation. I'm happy to brainstorm eating plans with you if you'd like! Shoot me a message.
  • prettygirl326
    Options
    I am doing it. I started it about 7 days ago. I am already down 6 lbs. The only downside to it is when you are out and about, it's easy to fall off track. My eating window is from 1 pm- 4 pm and I eat around 3 usually. Yesterday, I was out and didn't eat until 8. If I had not, I would've seen that one and a half pound drop this morning:( But I'm going to be back on track today. It works. You should try it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Hi! I fast during Ramadan and gain weight every year.

Because you're eating more than you are burning. Ramadan fasting and its effects on metabolism and body fat have been studied extensively. Here's a study that showed the participants lost fat and retained muscle while fasting during Ramadan: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19164831
    While there is a proven science to intermittent fasting, the weight loss is not sustainable and, more importantly, is not healthy.

Is there any "proven science" that it's not sustainable and not healthy? Or is that just your opinion? P.S. You can't "trick" your metabolism by eating several times a day.

I eat one meal per day. I've sustained my weight loss for 3 years. I'm perfectly healthy.

There is no magic to eating all your calories in one meal. It doesn't flip some fat burning switch. I recommend it to people who are very busy during the day, don't want the hassle of trying to eat multiple meals at work, and prefer to eat larger meals. I do not recommend it to people who aren't going to accurately log their calories and will use their one meal to justify eating as much as they want or to people who are just going to sit around, brooding about food all day. If it doesn't make your life easier, you're not going to stick with it. But if you think it will work for you, let me assure that it CAN be done, and it is absolutely healthy, provided you are ultimately eating the same amount and same types of food you would be eating if you spread your meals out throughout the day.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    While there is a proven science to intermittent fasting, the weight loss is not sustainable and, more importantly, is not healthy

Strong 10th post? :ohwell:

Yeah, actually weight loss with intermittent fasting is very sustainable. I have been on it for almost exactly a year now, and am down 27 lbs. At one point I was down 30+ lbs, but I'm currently in a slow body recomp.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has ever done the one meal per day diet and had success. I have done alot of research and have found alot of science behind this method. I am in search of success stories or personal experience with this. If you can share with me, that would be great!!! Thank you!!!:smile:

There's no real science behind it, just pseudo-science. Putting aside what should be an obvious negative impact on your blood sugar levels, daily physical/mental functioning, etc, sure you will lose weight if that one meal contains less calories than you are burning in a given day ... but you will also lose weight by eating at that same deficit and splitting that one meal into 5 meals and without the costs to your health and ability to properly function.

Question - What is the "obvious negative impact on your blood sugar levels, daily physical/mental functioning, etc..."? And how does eating 5 meals a day avoid any "costs to your health and ability to properly function" that one meal a day doesn't?
  • cesar424
    cesar424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that was eating 1 big meal a day. He was also bike riding to work everyday about 8 or 10 miles. He lost a lot of weight but wasn't very healthy. Constantly tired, lack of focus, and one day passed out in the parking lot. Still refused to believe that it was from the lack of eating. Would say "i've always ate one meal a day..."
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that was eating 1 big meal a day. He was also bike riding to work everyday about 8 or 10 miles. He lost a lot of weight but wasn't very healthy. Constantly tired, lack of focus, and one day passed out in the parking lot. Still refused to believe that it was from the lack of eating. Would say "i've always ate one meal a day..."

The fatigue and brain fog from hunger is one thing to be wary about. While one meal a day may be sustainable, fatigue and brain fog isn't sustainable.

Some people can work on one meal per day while others cannot. I certainly am one of those who can't!

Try it, but be careful about over-exerting yourself during your "trial" period. Then slowly increase your exercise levels and see how you do. Keep some quick snacks nearby just in case.

Best of luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I fast during Ramadan and gain weight every year.
    I work with a ton of people who fast during Ramadan- and every single one of them shuts down their daily life. There is one kid who refuses to even take the stairs because 'he's fasting'.- it's 3 small flights.
    I can't say this is everyone- but it's a common trend here and I can absolutely 100% guarantee he is going to gain weight this year- because he's using it as an excuse to do NOTHING at all. I am embarrassed for him.

You gained weight because you are still over eating.
    While there is a proven science to intermittent fasting, the weight loss is not sustainable and, more importantly, is not healthy.
    that's the thing- you have to figure out what's sustainable for you- some people this works. And if it works great. For me it doesn't- but I know several people who pretty much eat like that and it's great.

Also just to be clear- IF is not JUST about weight loss- it's about meal timing- and the two are not intrinsically connected.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do it because my one meal would be EPIC.

However, I just have to settle for two semi-epic meals.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Ummm...no
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I do this most days because I just naturally prefer to. I can put a lot of food away at one time, I just have to make sure it's the kind of food that will keep me going through into the next day.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, rock on. You may find it workable. However, whatever "science" you found supporting it is likely flawed. I also reckon with no science whatsoever that it would also have some disadvantages. Such as reduced exercise performance, reduced protein synthesis, social awkwardness of avoiding food then pigging out, and bad breath. And if it works for you, you're going to want to tell everybody about it all the time, and it will annoy them.