What percentage body weight are you actually lifting?

Options

Replies

• felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    My bodyweight is 192lbs(87.1kg)
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg
    So you're squatting 120 - (87.1/2) or 76.45kg?

Or are you squatting 163.55kg and then subtracting half your body weight?

Did you carry the one?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh 125 my body weight comparative lifts are:

Squat - 1.9x for 1rm, 1,65x for 5x5
    Bench 1,0 for 1rm, 0.9x 5x5
    deadlift - 2.5x 1rm, 2.0x 1x5

I believe that someone was trying to factor in their range of motion. I've been a meet director for several meets and have had new competitors ask if there is any adjustment for range on motion. Uh. No.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Squat and Deads are both around 2.26xbw, bench is at 1.62xbw.

Deads.....*cry*
  • felonebeats
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

They're not my %s they're just the weights I'm lifting atm
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sites like this one:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Can give you an idea of your strength level for your body weight.

Its really only important that you try to improve from the last time you lifted while maintaining good form.

Totally agree with mr. mustgetmuscle here. Thanks for the website ... great targets!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

But does that include the weight of the limbs you're using to lift it?

Hmm, if you shave your arms can you increase your bench press?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't understand the explanation of the math in the original post. Maybe what the trainer was talking about was your theoretical 1 rep max? Here's a site that I use sometimes: http://www.strstd.com/

For deadlifts, I pulled 200lbs (once), and my body weight is about 125lbs+. So that's about 1.58 x body weight.
    For squats, I did 5x5 at 95lbs, which is .75 of my body weight.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Erm, how about don't fudge the numbers and just track what you do?

Maybe this is a weight loss encouragement method? If you track by percent of bodyweight instead of the weight you can do, you could say "I'm stronger today!" every time you lose a pound :P
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of effing around to make you feel like you're stronger than you are.

Just record what's on the bar. That's what everyone else does and it's what everyone else understands.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think you broke my brain. Over complicated. As it has been stated, include the bar and the weight you put on it.

Think about it. If you weighed 200 pounds and could only squat with 10 pound dumbbells in each hand, would you say you could squat 120 pounds? Wouldn't you feel like a fraud? 120 vs. 20 is a very different thing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I understand what he's saying...

...but nonetheless agree with the consensus response which is not to worry about it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Technically correct, but totally unnecessary and you won't have a like to like comparison if you start comparing to other lifters like this.

Count the bar, and what's on the bar, and nothing else. Or be prepared to be embarrassed when someone asks you to demonstrate your 240 pound squat and you proceed to load 145 pounds on the bar and then waffle about the weight of your body.

I am picturing this scene and the explanation following it. It is hilarious. Yes, lifts also include our body weight. But when people talk about how much they can lift, they are referring to the bar and the weights on it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Honestly, I don't understand the explanation of the math in the original post. Maybe what the trainer was talking about was your theoretical 1 rep max? Here's a site that I use sometimes: http://www.strstd.com/

For deadlifts, I pulled 200lbs (once), and my body weight is about 125lbs+. So that's about 1.58 x body weight.
    But when you started your deadlift, your hips were closer to the ground than when you finished. So your legs had to lift your whole upper body to complete the lift. And your back had to raise your shoulders and arms. So you should count that weight. And you need to adjust not only for the weights of different parts of your body but also the leverages based on how far they are from the nearest hinge point.

So let's figure out how much you deadlifted. First, do you shave your arms?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

But when you started your deadlift, your hips were closer to the ground than when you finished. So your legs had to lift your whole upper body to complete the lift. And your back had to raise your shoulders and arms. So you should count that weight. And you need to adjust not only for the weights of different parts of your body but also the leverages based on how far they are from the nearest hinge point.

Wait, you forgot to add in the rotation of the femur and angular motion compared to the sacrum and iliac bones into the calculation, then factor in the angle of the attachment point of the sacrotuberous ligament if there is any motion at that joint as well. For an accurate determination the exact attachment points and distance the muscle moves must be measured to determine the strength of the muscle. Also was the velocity of weight movement and what you had for lunch added into the calculation?

PS. I just went to the bathroom and got stronger by this method, I'm liking it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wait, you forgot to add in the rotation of the femur and angular motion compared to the sacrum and iliac bones into the calculation, then factor in the angle of the attachment point of the sacrotuberous ligament if there is any motion at that joint as well. For an accurate determination the exact attachment points and distance the muscle moves must be measured to determine the strength of the muscle. Also was the velocity of weight movement and what you had for lunch added into the calculation?

Are you now weaker? Since you're lifting less weight?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Ok, now you're just being ridiculous.
  • felonebeats
    Options
    Seems like a lot of effing around to make you feel like you're stronger than you are.

Just record what's on the bar. That's what everyone else does and it's what everyone else understands.

Exactly
  • felonebeats
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

Of course it doesn't include the weight of my limbs lmao wtf are you talking about?
    So when I do pull ups should I count the weight of my trainers?haha
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

Of course it doesn't include the weight of my limbs lmao wtf are you talking about?
    So when I do pull ups should I count the weight of my trainers?haha

Totally taking off my converse next time I do chins at the gym. Thanks!