"My body tells me no, but I won't quit..." NSV!!

eldyn90
eldyn90 Posts: 14 Member
I DID IT!!

nujb2j5.jpg?1

I just ran a 5k and then some without stopping to walk!!!! I can honestly say I never thought I would see this day. If you would have told me I would be able to jog that far 256 days ago when I joined MFP, I would have laughed and then probably gone and ate a cookie or something. But I did it. The sense of accomplishment I feel is overwhelming!

A couple of tips to anyone who is thinking that they can't run:

1. Please do not let self doubt keep you from reaching your goals. I have had three surgeries on the same knee including two ACL reconstructions. I had accepted the fact that running was not for me. I used my knee as an excuse, even though all of the extra weight I was putting on my knees, hips, ankles, etc. was doing damage on its own. Of course, talk with you doc before jumping into any exercise plan. :wink:

2. Download the Couch to 5k app! It really works. I remember weeks ago when I saw that I had to run five minutes without stopping. I was so dreading that run, but then I almost cried when I actually finished it. If you stick with it and follow the plan, you will be amazed at how far you can go.

I hope my little NSV inspires those of you hoping to start running. You can do it!

p.s. The song in my subject line is called My Body by Young the Giant. It was on my playlist tonight and helped me push through my workout.

Replies

• jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Way to go!! Never thought I'd be a runner either started last July now I'm training for a half! Keep up the hard work! Be proud!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    "....cause I want more!" :drinker: Yes, way to go!!!
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Great job!
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    I want to do just that one day! Great job to you! What kind of training did you do? Or did you just run a bit everyday? :)
  • emkelsall
    emkelsall Posts: 39 Member
    Yay!!! Congrats to you. I hope I can say the same thing soon!
  • eldyn90
    eldyn90 Posts: 14 Member
    I want to do just that one day! Great job to you! What kind of training did you do? Or did you just run a bit everyday? :)

I followed the C25K plan! I started it on May 2. I didn't want to cause injury like shin splints (had them before, they suck!) so I never ran two days in a row. I would either take a rest day or do something like go for a hike or a bike ride in between running days. I repeated a couple of workouts (week 5 day 3) until I was able to do them without walking. It's a great program!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!