Work out injuries...

Options
So, I'm still pretty new to working out but over the past 3 months I've been managing to hit the gym 5-6 times a week. I usually walk or do the elliptical for an hour but on Friday I felt adventurous and decided to run instead of walk. I followed up by running on both Saturday and Sunday as well. On Monday I felt a little sore and so I took the day off, but yesterday my right hip HURT. I went to the gym anyway but I chose to go back to walking. It still hurt but I managed to work through it. I felt better today so I tried to run again but my hit started hurting again. I opted to finish my workout by walking but it still hurts.

I know I should probably take a few days off but how long? I'm nervous to take off too much time as I already have a hard time dragging myself to the gym to begin with. I don't really know what to do.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    take off until your hip no longer hurts. or you can do something that doesn't hurt in the meantime.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes, listen to your body when you exercise. Take a week off, then try it again. If your hip still bothers you it's time to change up to another routine.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would take as much time as you need off, until the pain subsides. You don't want to exaggerate an existing injury. In the mean time, you can always focus on low impact exercises for different areas of your body; maybe some light weights for your arms, or core exercises. Whatever it is, stay motivated even if you can't get to the gym right now. Your recovery is more important than an hour on the elliptical.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Stop when it's telling you to.

And why do you feel the need to work out 6x a week? It already sounds like you hate it. I'm sure you could make progress without working out so much and eventually burning yourself out mentally (or physically).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    take off until your hip no longer hurts. or you can do something that doesn't hurt in the meantime.

yup, use a roller too.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    1. Stop doing anything that makes the injury worse/causes pain and take some time for recovery (RICE and heat after 48 hours can help)
    2. Find something you can do that doesn't make the injury worse
    3. If it doesn't heal with about a week consider seeing a Doc or Physio
    4. Re-consider the intensity of your exercise program and pick something that is appropriate for your experience and fitnes level. Make sure your program contains adequate time for rest and recovery. Build up intensity slowly to help prevent injury (better spend a bit longer now than spend time side-linded). Listen to your body and don't try and push through injury pain
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to keep it light for the next week or so. My main concern is that I will get out of the habit of going and lose motivation but I need to listen to my body.

And someone asked why I feel it necessary to go to the gym 6 days a week, and my only answer is that I like to eat more than I hate working out. So I work out so that I can eat...lol
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a pool, you may find that swimming doesn't hurt your hip?

I know what you mean about eating and working out, I am terrified of getting injured partly because if I have to stop working out I cannot eat as much lol.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Your running form and/or shoes are probably causing the pain. You're going to have to change something or the pain will continue.

Like another poster said, foam roll and lacrosse ball the tight area in the mean time.

Do some hip stretches too. Here's a good one. It starts at 2:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZX1QMTdAC4
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest working on your hip/glute mobility a bit. My favorite stretch is called the Gentleman's sit. You get on the floor with your legs facing the wall and scoot up so your butt is as close to the wall as possible. Then swing both feet up on the wall like you are sitting and cross one leg over the other. Then let gravity slowly pull your hips down. Hold it for a minute, then switch.

If you are like me you'll feel this in your hip as well as your glutes.

Foam rolling and lacrosse ball massage are also a good way to get things loosened up.