Tasty egg white recipes ?

Options
I'm always looking for easy sources of protein. Egg whites seem to be one of those, practically 100% protein.
I just fried 300ml of liquid egg whites and from what I gather it contains about 33g of protein and only 164 calories.

Main problem - it tasted rather bland. I sprayed pepper on it generously to help that, but it's still plain.
Secondary problem - it's not particularly great as a snack to-go. I'm not sure if I would want to eat them fried and cold.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of tasty egg white recipes they are willing to share.
Preferably something that doesn't add too much in the way of carbs/sugars (I'm not overly concerned about fat). And the simpler the better. Skipping the frying part would sure make it easier, but I don't know if it's safe to drink, say, in a shake. But I prefer solid food. So maybe something baked instead ?

Replies

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had some today for lunch. I sautéed about ¾ c - 1 c sliced peppers and onions (frozen "fire-roasted" from Trader Joe's), then poured in egg whites and lowered the heat. When the egg whites were set, I added ¼ c light shredded Mexican cheese, and stirred it all together. Very yummy and filling! Would be great in a tortilla, too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you aren't concerned about fat (which adds calories) why not use whole eggs mixed with whites? That way you get the flavour from the natural egg fats along with extra lower cal protein from the whites.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    add the yolk then BOOM goes the delicious dynamite :smile:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    got this great egg recipe from the NY Times a few years ago, they called it Greek eggs. In any case, it's really tasty, low carb etc.

Fry whatever amount of eggs you want, and put some tomato chunks or cherry tomatoes on the part of the pan where the eggs haven't reached. Add a bit of salt, a good dose of pepper and a heavy sprinkling of oregano, Using high-quality salt and pepper helps the flavor.

Let the tomatoes blister and the eggs cook, then throw them into a bowl Crumble some feta or goat cheese or bleu cheese on top, and add either a few olives or a tablespoon or two of tapenade. The sharp cheeses and tapenade add a ton of flavor; the tomatoes contrast with the sharpness and also add bulk for very few calories.

Hope you enjoy!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I used to make breakfast sandwiches, but with the whole egg.

You can bake your eggs in the oven in a muffin tin. I used multigrain English muffins for mine, one of the eggs from the tin (you could use two for extra protein), and added one strip of bacon broken in two, and half a slice of pepper jack on top. Baked it again in the oven for just a few minutes, and it was perfect. Protein packed, perfect calorie amount of breakfast, and kept me full.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    garlic, onion and chili with a little vinegar.
  • madbrainDotCom
    madbrainDotCom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you aren't concerned about fat (which adds calories) why not use whole eggs mixed with whites? That way you get the flavour from the natural egg fats along with extra lower cal protein from the whites.

Actually Costco was out of whole eggs during my last shopping trip so I bought the liquid egg whites.
    I have about 6 lbs of them left in individual cartons.
  • madbrainDotCom
    madbrainDotCom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You can bake your eggs in the oven in a muffin tin. I used multigrain English muffins for mine, one of the eggs from the tin (you could use two for extra protein), and added one strip of bacon broken in two, and half a slice of pepper jack on top. Baked it again in the oven for just a few minutes, and it was perfect. Protein packed, perfect calorie amount of breakfast, and kept me full.

Thanks but I can't stand the taste of bacon nor any kind of melted cheese. Yes, you could say I am a picky eater.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I sometimes scramble egg whites with feta cheese (it really has a different taste than melted cheddar) and a cup of chopped spinach. Or you can add in mushrooms.

Get some nice spices...herb and garlic, garlic powder, etc. Look at the hispanic or caribbean section of your grocery store for spices that can really flavor your food without too much heat or salt.