Just started dieting and exercising and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without counting calories. People do it all the time. A lot of people think it's a big help to them, though. :)

You just started. One week is too soon to say it isn't working. Give yourself a month or two and then evaluate. You may be pleased...if so, Yay! You may be disappointed...if so, maybe consider calorie counting.

Good luck!
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you don't count your calories you cannot possibly know how much you're eating.
    +1
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Count em'
    Weigh em'
    Measure em'

Prosper!:glasses:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The problem with estimating is that it isn't accurate.

How do you know you're consistently and accurately eating 1500-2000 calories if you're estimating?

Weigh you food, count it, stay in within calorie goal. Win.

Really, if you're not even going to listen to people's advice, why did you post? You're not going to find a different answer.
    It's up to you to get real about it and do something or stick your head in the sand and hope everything magically disappears.
    Good luck with whichever the approach you take.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As for my diet I do not count calories because I have tried that before and that failed. I do know however that I am getting somewhere between 1500-2000 calories per day. I do eat egg whites, vegetables, brown rice, boneless chicken, turkey sandwiches with whole wheat bread and fruit. Am I doing anything wrong that would cause me not to see any results my first week? Is it too early to be worried?
    Thats why your failing you do not know how much your eating. You can do all the exercise you want but if you're eating too much you wont lose a thing. Follow the links counting calories works if you do it properly and are working to the correct figures.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Just started"
    Don't be impatient.

" I just started dieting and exercising in an effort to lose 50 lbs."
    Good.

"I use a heart rate monitor to make sure I am in my target heart rate zone"
    Complete waste of time - fat burning zone myth should have died out twenty years ago! Heart rate zones have applications for training goals but not for fat burning / weight loss.

"I also do strength training at my local gym 3 times a week."
    Good

" I do not count calories because I have tried that before and that failed. I do know however that I am getting somewhere between 1500-2000 calories per day."
    No you really don't know that - even if you just counted accurately (with weighing scale) for a month you will be surprised that what you think is a serving really isn't. I didn't count calories for 20 years and stayed fat, started counted calories and got to goal weight.

"First week"
    Exactly!!
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As for my diet I do not count calories because I have tried that before and that failed. I do know however that I am getting somewhere between 1500-2000 calories per day. I do eat egg whites, vegetables, brown rice, boneless chicken, turkey sandwiches with whole wheat bread and fruit. Am I doing anything wrong that would cause me not to see any results my first week? Is it too early to be worried?

As others have said, how do you know what you're eating if you don't track it? And 1500-2000 calories is kind of a huge range so you really want to narrow it down at the very least. That's a potential range of 500 cal/day (=1lb/week). For me, that's the difference between losing 0.6 lbs per week (eating 1500/day) to gaining 0.4lbs/week (eating 2000/day)

Also, it's you're first week. It *IS* to early to be worried, but definitely track your food and make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • rbagby
    rbagby Posts: 3
    Options
    When I first started working out approx 20 days ago, my weight fluctuated up and down by several lbs. More so up, although I was eating well & doing at least 45 mins of circuit training, etc. 5-6 times a week. More than likely you are in the period where you are gaining muscle. I would encourage you to consider tracking your calories using the fitness pal, that way you know exactly how many calories you are consuming. You don't have to go crazy with it, I take the weekends off from counting cals. Just stick with it, it takes time to see results.
    I am just now beginning to lose weight, 2-3 lbs a week. Drink lots of water, I drink smoothies in the morning for breakfast, perhaps add that to your morning routine, you could even add protein powder if your trying to bulk up.

Most importantly don't give up. It took time to gain the weight, it will take even more time to lose it. I anticipate to reach my goal weight, 6 months from now..that's a long time! But determination, focus, and self control is the key.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "Just started"
    Don't be impatient.

" I just started dieting and exercising in an effort to lose 50 lbs."
    Good.

"I use a heart rate monitor to make sure I am in my target heart rate zone"
    Complete waste of time - fat burning zone myth should have died out twenty years ago! Heart rate zones have applications for training goals but not for fat burning / weight loss.

"I also do strength training at my local gym 3 times a week."
    Good

" I do not count calories because I have tried that before and that failed. I do know however that I am getting somewhere between 1500-2000 calories per day."
    No you really don't know that - even if you just counted accurately (with weighing scale) for a month you will be surprised that what you think is a serving really isn't. I didn't count calories for 20 years and stayed fat, started counted calories and got to goal weight.

"First week"
    Exactly!!

This.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Also, which no one has mentioned, assuming you really are eating 1500-2000 calories, that's pretty low for a guy your age and size. 2000 maybe--I haven't run your stats--but 1500 is a deficit for me and I'm a small woman old enough to be your mom, so you'd actually want to eat MORE than that to get enough nutrition.

Try it your way for a few weeks if you must. But really, counting calories works. Even if you have to jot down what you eat and enter it later.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You tried counting calories, but failed? Dust yourself off, and try again! Try using a food scale too.
    TRUTH! If you aren't counting and making sure your portions sizes are accurate, then you don't really know how much you're eating

also,
    patience_grasshopper_mug.jpg?side=Back&height=160&width=160&padToSquare=true
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I may not be counting calories but I have estimated the amount I am eating. There is no way am eating above 2000 calories. I even estimated the calories I could eat from snacks.

And no I do not own a smartphone. I do not have the money for one.

The scale reflects how good you are with your estimations. If it isn't moving down you're eating more than you think you are. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and start using a food scale.
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, in order to get results you have to do the work and this includes accurately weighing your food and logging it to get an accurate calorie count. I know from my own experience that just eyeballing a portion of food is usually way out. Weight loss takes time, be patient. Eat well, try to meet your macros, that is a good balance of carbs, fats and protein. Work out with both cardio and weights as you are doing and set some goals gradually increasing your workout burn and fitness.. Feeling and looking healthy is not just about diet, although what we eat is probably the most important factor.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has to count calories to lose weight. (I didn't) It's only been a week. Give it some more time. If you aren't losing weight without tracking your intake after several weeks....start counting calories.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You just started your diet and exercise regime and you expect instantaneous results. You don't count calories, but instead assume that you are eating at a deficit but are not sure, hence the range "1500-2000" cals you say you eat. You don't see a problem? (Smh)
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yor not going to see much in a week especially if you are eating 2000 cal a day, which again we can't really be sure of can we. I'm 6'2" 267 and I eat at 1780 calories a day, plus I eat back a bit of my cardio burned calories. I total maybe 1900 calories and I am losing about a pound and a half a week tops which is well within how much my body can fluctuate within a day. So if you are losing you may not be seeing it, especially within a week. My guess is you are probably eating slightly more than you think. The name of the game is observation. All of the numbers are just that: numbers, and they are based on broad assumptions and estimates. Go for 3-4 weeks with your current program, if you see no change, then switch it up, eat less, or burn more. wash rinse repeat.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you're convinced that you're eating at a deficit, why do you think you aren't losing weight?
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Why is this forum filled with so many agnostics? Because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Not everyone has the time, patience or resolve to count every single calorie in what he eats. Calorie counting is never even 100% accurate. Do you think a serving of almonds accurately has 140 cals just because it is written at the back? Truth is you are either going above or below and you don't even know it. I've estimated for the past one month and I've lost 16 pounds. I don't know about you but it is sure as hell working for me.