Cooking Challenge: Okra

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Welcome to the sixth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from me because I won the spinach challenge.

okra.jpeg

This week's challenge is OKRA!

Honestly, I've never cooked with okra before and I'm a little nervous and hope I don't hate it, but I'll never know if I don't try. I hope no one's too skeptical about this week's ingredient and will take the challenge (if it is a challenge for you)!

Containing no saturated fat or cholesterol, okra contains minerals and vitamins recommended for low cholesterol and weight reduction.

Okra (1 cup)
31 calories
0 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
8 mg sodium
303 mg potassium
7 grams carbs
3 grams dietary fiber
1 grams sugar
2 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I think i'll have to graciously bow out of this challenge... Can't stand okra! One of the few vegetables that really makes me gag. A week off won't kill me :happy: Have fun with this one!
    -Meag
  • My parents are both from Alabama and the only way I've seen/eaten okra is battered and fried. Not healthy lol.
  • Okra is good! I can't find it at the grocery store here though, so I have to sit this one out, too :ohwell: But I will still vote!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Okay, I'll play! I love okra. I don't have a picture, but I just had it two or three days ago so I'll post how I did it then as that is my normal way of eating it. I too, grew up on the southern fried okra and have tried to make it semi like my old favorite but in a much healthier way, sauteed! I use heart healthy canola oil to get my omega fatty acids but go with a lower heat to keep from breaking down the good stuff in the okra. I personally love the taste so much that I don't even miss the breading.

Ingredients

1 pound diced, fresh or frozen okra
    2 tablespoons canola oil

Heat oil in a saute pan over low to medium heat. Add okra and stir constantly until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serves 4.

One serving = 1/2 cup
    Calories--76
    Carbs--3.5 g
    Protein--1 g
    Fat--7 g (Omegas!)
    Saturated Fat--0.5g
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Throw it away and go buy spinach
  • inskydiamonds
    Okra is good! I can't find it at the grocery store here though, so I have to sit this one out, too :ohwell: But I will still vote!!

haha, I might have to end up sitting it out too because I thought I could get it, but couldn't find it.
    I'm going to have to go back and check the frozen food.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    I stew four tomatoes then peel then and dice them. Then place dices tomotaes and all juices into a pan. Add sliced okra, cut up onions and some bacon(if your not trying to be to healthy that day or you can leave it out). Add salt and pepper. Simmer until okra is done. Makes for a great side dish! I eat it alone sometimes as a quick dinner!!! Couldn't find a good healthy okra and shrimp gumbo recipe still looking!!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    If you have an okra recipe that you love, enter it in the challenge!
  • inskydiamonds
    The okra challenge ends tomorrow! Please enter? :)
  • inskydiamonds
    I never could find the okra :-/
    Here's to hoping the next challenge is better? haha
  • inskydiamonds
    trainingwithtonya has won the challenge being the only entry! Congratulations!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Oops, I never posted my recipe! Anyway... since the challenge is over, I'm just going to copy the link. Basically I made this soup and added some okra (about 5 fresh or 1 1/2 - 2 cups frozen). I made this over the summer which fresh tomatoes, green beans and okra, which was AMAZING! I made it this past week with canned diced tomatoes, frozen green beans, and frozen okra. Still good even without fresh ingredients.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tomato-Green-Bean-Soup/Detail.aspx
This discussion has been closed.