not new to dieting... new to this site!

Options
i have dieted for as long as i can remember... i remember starving myself all through highschool to maintain my 110 lb frame, and scarfing down diet pills between classes... that is when my obsession with my weight began. Since then i have gone on MANY diets and have gone up and down in my weight... this year i reached the highest weight at 209... i never though i would see that day... ever.. and i have always blammed it on the stress in my life causes me to overeat.. im an over eater... well the truth is I have Binge Eating Disorder. I dont purge and never have... i did try once when a friend of mine admitted to me she was bulemic. i couldnt go through with it. For those of you who do not know what BED is -- its extreme over eating to the point where there is no end. I could eat a box of cereal, taco bell, and a pint of ice cream in one sitting- there were times i would eat everything in the fridge so i wouldnt eat it later... and dieting makes it worse. i will gain and lose 50lbs in one year and i dont know how to conquer it. So now i have a gym membership and was doing well for a short time and have fallen off again... i just started a second job and i do not know how to manage 2 jobs a house bills and my weight and diet all at the same time... HELP... any advise would be amazing!!! I AM AN OPEN DOOR!!! :)

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    This site can be quite useful in helping with weight loss, keeping track of calories, setting goals, and learning the calorific values of food. Here is a helpful review of it, which should help you as well, as its very thorough.

http://visfitness.com/my-fitness-pal-rev

I'm here for you when you need to vent, need a pat on the back or have some good news to report on your weight loss journey.
  • Wow what courage you have! I too have struggled for as long as I can remember and now I almost feel like I have new way to look at food, Dont get me wrong I still try and binge like crazy tonight was a good example yet somehow I stopped and came to this site and cant seem to stop posting. Hey Im not eating. This site has given me support, and honest look at what I am eating and a voice when I need it. I congratulate you and ask you to keep coming back to this site when you can to help, support and encourage. you
  • BughaBear
    Options
    Hello there sounds ruff. I was always smaller when I was a teen it was when I had my last child that I couldnt get the wt off but this place will be ur support and might be others out there with the same situation and I hope u find someone I can be here if u need to talk. I have been on this site for about 6 days or so and I have enjoyed what I have gotten out of it with the bog daily exercise log and the food intake that we keep track of and if u have an iphone or a droid u can also keep track of it when ur not home so thats also a good thing I hope u get what ur lookin for her!!
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying Overeaters Anonymous? Maybe they could help with the binge eating.

Logging all your calories and exercise should help keep your accountable. It's nice to see it all on the comp and try to keep cals, carbs, whatever you are tracking in check. Plus, you can see how much exercise you need to do to burn a certain amount of calories, which might help. If you binge, try to exercise most of the extra cals off.

I wish you all the best.
  • sumirei
    Options
    Hi cglenden,

It sounds like what I would do last time. I would find food in my fridge or cupboard thats unhealthy snacks (3 packs of chips) and finish them all in one go. Sometimes I feel sick of the chips and won't stop eating them because I simply just want to finish them.

Now, I avoid buying unhealthy snacks and kind of ban bread in my house. I can finish the whole pack of white bread (about 10 slices) with spreads in one go and can't stop myself from doing that. Even tho I told myself to stop, my brain will kept craving for the bread and end up with insomnia till i eat them... lol

I just started changing my lifestyle and the way I eat a week ago. What I did is, eat what I like (no fastfood/avoid fried food) for my meals daily. And have healthy snacks in between (fruits, low fat yoghurt or food that doesnt exceed 150kcal).

Also, eating breakfast is important. I find myself eating better and less when I had a great breakfast. Choosing low fat milk, yogurt also help me in managing my calories intake.

I had a kellogg's mueslix cereal and 200ml milk as breakfast about 3 hrs ago. Now my body is telling me that I am hungry but my lunch time is not till 1pm. Went to get a cup of water and told myself I'll sip the water and finish it in 10mins. After that, my tummy stopped grumbling! If it doesn't work, I guess I will get a slice of apple or pear. Just 1/4 of it.

I also avoid sandwich as I feel when I had subway sandwich or bun, 1 serving is always not enough and I'll need 2 servings. 1 servings of subway sandwich is equal to a serving of rice/veg/meat that I have normally. So, I'll rather choose that instead.

As for treat like a slice of cake or cone ice cream, I plan to share it with my DH in the future so that I won't feel as guilty when I am way over my calories intake of the day.

When you are stressed, perhaps chew a gum as long as possible? In my country (Singapore), gums are banned which is quite sad!! Think I'll do better if gums are allowed here. =(

oK, Thats my way of controlling my diet and weight. Hope it helps!
  • MillardFillmore
    Options
    My dear, I do not have the credibility to give you advice on this subject. I can tell you that I am in my mid 40s, and no doubt it would be in my best interest to shed 60 pounds over the next 18 months. I have never dieted, and I am not about to now. I know that the key is lifestyle change. This website is the best guide I have ever seen to keep me focused on where I want to be. I just joined, but the calorie and exercise tracker keeps me focused on what I can do and what I need to do. I am also getting a crash course on the foods that move very fast on the calorie tracker list. The exercise tracker keeps me motivated to hit the gym each day because I see in numbers right in front of me how it pays off.

In the end, just remember that everything you do is one day at a time. Will you meet your goal today? If you do, you will be motivated to do the same thing tomorrow. Do not get discouraged. You are in control, and this website is a device that will remind you of that. Good luck and keep moving forward toward your goal!
  • cglenden
    Options
    thanks everyone your words are sooo kind!! i really needed it! i have so many friends who dont know what its like to have to diet because they are naturally thin... or dont care... and i am neither--- i care a lot and not naturally thin.. even my family is always on my back side to get me to lose weight--- its so annoying and it makes me stressed out and then i want to binge.. so thanks so much again everyone!! i really appreciate your kind words of encouragement!
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place :)

feel free to add me as a friend :) We can help motivate each other!