Sweetening Greek yogurt ?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how about regular yoghurt with whey then if you think it's too thick with greek.

I personally love it thick and use casein instead of whey to make it thicker.

Or sf jello mix

Or peanut flour (or pb2), cinnamon and sf maple syrup with some berries.
  • madbrainDotCom
    madbrainDotCom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wait...let me get this straight. You're worried about adding a teaspoon of sugar or a handful of fruit to your yogurt because of the added calories, but you're eating 10-20 squares of chocolate just about every day.

We are not talking about a teaspoon of sugar, it would take me quite a lot of sugar. At least 20% of the greek yogurt weight in sugar.
    On the few days I ate 300g of greek yogurt that means eating at least 60g of sugar. The calories from sugar would be higher than the protein from the greek yogurt, defeating the purpose of eating greek yogurt.

But yes, I am a chocoholic and I have let myself go in the last 2 weeks a bit - I had barely eaten any in the first 2 months since I started dieting - just go a little bit farther in my diary.

On most days that I ate chocolate, I was still below - sometimes way below - my sugar target, though there were also a few days I was way over.

I actually tried mixing the chocolate with the greek yogurt to make a shake one day, but it actually wasn't sweet enough, I still had to add splenda, and it still didn't taste great. I will definitely eat those separately.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    how about regular yoghurt with whey then if you think it's too thick with greek.

I personally love it thick and use casein instead of whey to make it thicker.

Or sf jello mix

Or peanut flour (or pb2), cinnamon and sf maple syrup with some berries.

I am avoiding regular yogurt on purpose to reduce the carbs/ natural sugar content.

Not a fan of peanut butter. I may try cinnamon. Don't have any maple syrup handy to try. And I'm not a huge fan of jello.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    How much yoghurt are you eating and why so much, especially given that you're clearly not a huge fan of it?

I have been shooting for a high protein diet which helps with satiety. Had quite a bit of success losing about 12 pounds in the first 5 weeks. The other sources of protein like whey protein shakes don't taste particularly great - and liquid food is not my favorite
    I love the sardines I have been eating almost daily, but I seek a little bit more variety.

I am a meat eater and I have been eating a fair bit also. But meat has other artery blocking side effects; and it's bad for the environment overall so I can't eat that daily.

So I'd like to get my greek yogurt to be tastier and not just take like a health food :)
    I know I will succeed eventually.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    Chobani for the win. 170gm serve, 14g protein. Comes in a gazillion flavours.

Yes, but look at the carb content - the flavored ones have more carbs/sugar than protein.
    I have bought some plain chobani and am trying to make something better without increasing carbs as much.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    I just use granulated candarel and a bit of vanilla essense, I LOVE this. I have it with a handful of strawberries.

Haven't tried candarel, it seems to be asparatame which has a bad rep for health - I don't kwow if it's deserved or not.
    I do have vanilla extract.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    I know you said no to sugar, but I find that 1/2 - 1 tsp brown sugar is plenty sweet enough for me for a 6 oz (150g) container of plain greek yogurt. That's only max 4g / 16 calories of sugar.

Maybe I will try a small amount again; but I tried with erythritol, I had to put about 30-40g of it to sweeten 170g of greek yogurt. And then I was guaranteed to spend the night on the toilet (erythritol has a laxative effect).

Maybe erythrtol just isn't sweet enough. But when I used it in other things (baking) it was sweet enough when substituting for about the same amount of sugar. Maybe the erythritol just tastes less sweet in greek yogurt.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Eat full fat Greek yogurt instead of fat free and you won't need to sweeten it.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Try a lactose free greek yogurt. Lactose free products are made by using an enzyme that breaks down lactose. Lactose is broken down to glucose and galactose, so lactose free yogurt (and milk) has a slightly sweet taste because of the glucose in it. It may not be sweet enough for your tastes but you may not need to add as much sweetener.
  • ConnorS879
    ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    myprotein.com sell flavour drops that turn my greek yoghurt into a strawberry delight! the toffee one is also great, delicious!
  • Wicibeth
    Wicibeth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mix in half a scoop of protein powder, add some nuts - tadaa, yum scrum.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight, you want to sweeten your greek yoghurt but don't want added sugar or fruit and artificial sweeteners don't agree with you. I think we are fighting an uphill battle here.

Some good suggestions have been given, might be worth running them up the old flagpole.

I also like to add protein powder to mine, with some shredded coconut. Or berries.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    How bout a very ripe banana or plum? I like dried fruits too.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nestle fat free hot chocolate packet (20 calories) + Pb2 (45 calories) + greek yogurt = delicious chocolate peanut butter pudding. I do this, plus add a little stevia, and it's just about the most heavenly thing there is. If you don't like peanut butter, you could just use the hot chocolate mix. It's seriously delicious.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    Eat full fat Greek yogurt instead of fat free and you won't need to sweeten it.

I have tried eating full fat yogurt, plain or greek, but I really can't eat yogurt that's not sweetened.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    I like some stevia with cinnamon sprinkled in. Lately I've been loving Greek yogurt with either pineapple chunks or banana slices. No need for more sweetness as the fruit does the trick.

For me, fruit alone don't do the trick in terms of sweetness even by itself, let alone to sweeten something else like greek yogurt.

When the fruits aren't ripe enough, like some blackberries I ate yesterday that had been in my fridge for 2 weeks but still incredibly weren't ripe yet, I sprinkle them with a bit of splenda as they are too bitter to eat otherwise.

I think just about all fruit flavored yogurt sold stores, greek or not, has additional sugar added, not just fruits added.
  • madbrainDotCom
    Options
    Let me get this straight, you want to sweeten your greek yoghurt but don't want added sugar or fruit and artificial sweeteners don't agree with you. I think we are fighting an uphill battle here.

I don't want added sugar because of calories.

I'm not against all artificial sweeteners - I do use some sucralose/splenda. Some others have a bad rep like aspartame and I'm a little wary.

The sweetener I have had the most serious issues with, erythritol, is a sugar alcohol which is considered a natural sweetener.

I'm not against fruits either - but most aren't sweet enough to sweeten the yogurt to my taste, and additional sweetening is still needed.
    Or berries.

Yes, I have tried berries already - blackberries, raspberries, blueberries - but not enough in the way of sweetening.
  • NovaSur
    NovaSur Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    CINNAMON!!!!!! works amazing
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Truvia or vanilla whey protein powder.
    Stef.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are pretty screwed as there is an excuse for just about every suggestion so far.