Hanging Leg Raises: Beginner?

Options
I recently moved on from 5x5 to 5/3/1 with the Periodization Bible assistance work template. On deadlift day, I'm doing hanging leg raises using my pull-up bar. I've never really done this exercise, so I'm sort of clueless about it other than from the research I've done (YouTube videos, bodybuilding.com article(s), etc.). I've attempted them, but can only do a couple with straight legs.

My question is this: If one does this exercise with bent legs, like this:

hanginglegraise.jpg

...what's the difference? Clearly, doing these with bent legs is easier, but is it just a different variation of the exercise based on preference or is it how beginners usually start? What are the pros of cons of these vs. the straight-leg hanging leg raise? Does it work different muscles or just not impact them as well as it would doing the full version?

I'd like to eventually be able to do five sets of 10 hanging leg raises with straight legs and maybe even add weight once I'm good at those, but I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to start with bent legs and work my way up.

Replies

• prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It is better to start with bent legs if you are not yet able to the exercise with straight legs.
    You could also begin with doing the dip machine version:
    FCD_HERO.png

Once you master those, perform the dip machine variant with straight legs.
    When you are able to do those with your target rep and set range, you can move on to the hanging variant.

With the hanging leg / knee raise, it is important to keep your upper body as still as possible. No swinging.
    If you swing, you are not hitting the targetted muscles optimal. So if you notice you are swinging too much, switch over to the dip station variant (which helps stabilize your upper body).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeah, straight legs is a harder version of bent legs.

ETA: This is due to torque. Think of a wrench, you can easily turn a nut with a wrench if you hold the handle at the end. Try holding the handle at the hilt and try the same thing - it's much harder. Further out the level arm (handle, legs, whatever) creates more torque. When you unfurl your legs and put them straight, the centre of mass is further out along the lever arm than with bent legs, therefore they are exerting more torque that you have to overcome when you lift them.