Wrong calculated TDEE?

Options
I used several online TDEE calculators and they all came up with my TDEE at around 2100. Sedentary lifestyle, I sit at my desk all day. I set MFP to one pound projected loss a week, eating 1500 calories a day. However...I've been averaging a two pound loss since starting June 1st. I've grown so accustomed to that 'magic' 1500 net calories number I honestly am afraid to eat more. Not that I'm complaining about the 2 pound per week loss I just don't want to start out my deficit too high and have nothing to drop down too should I stall (I can't do 1200----too hungry). Do I continue to eat at 1500 or up my calories by 100/200 a day? Or is this just newbie water weight loss? How long do I wait before I know the difference?

Starting weight: About 214
Current weight: 204.6
Height: 4'11
Exercise: Um....as of the last 7 days none. But before 5-6 days, with me eating back my calories. Or rather....me exercising to excuse the calories I went over some days :blushing: .

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would leave it be, and just continue eating back your calories; reason being, you're a tiny widdle person and eating a good amount for that rate of loss. If you get to the 50lb to lose range and are still losing at that rate, then I'd consider bumping up the calories by 100 a week or so until you're at a 1lb a week loss.

Caveat; if you start to notice you're hungry all the time, then adjust accordingly.

If you stall, take a couple of weeks at maintenance and then return to 1500 before you try lowering calories. But, worry about crossing that bridge if you get to it later on.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    People tend to lose a lot of weight when the first start. It might taper off soon. Stick to your calories for awhile longer before you change too much.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. If you are still maintaining the 2 lbs/week loss, then you are in good shape. If you think that you want to try to eat more, bump it up to 1550 cal/day for a week and see how that works for you. If you still lose 1-2 lbs/week, then you can try 1600 cal/day. The key is to make small adjustments slowly.

How are you exercising?

Allan
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the advice all!

@terbusha I was doing HIIT and high intensity aerobics normally 20-30 mins for 4 days. Then strength training for 45 minutes one day. But those things apparently was making my body make all types of popping sounds, and I was extremely sore to the point where picking up a water bottle hurt a little. So I've been on a break. I will resume on Monday with low impact only workouts.