Help with (disgusting) protein powder

Timkerbelle
Timkerbelle Posts: 53
edited September 22 in Recipes
I could use some advice on how to use my protein powder! I'm a vegetarian since many years, and in a bid to improve my skin and hair I decided to get some protein powder made from soy. There was only one flavour left (and I can see why it was left!!) and that was strawberry. It is horribly sweet and tastes of synthetic strawberries... Yum...
I have mixed it with milk and soy milk respectively, and both times I had to work hard to keep it down.

Please help!

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I would try just mixing it with water. Milk will just make it sweeter.
  • Make it into a frozen shake

1 cup of frozen or fresh fruit (strawberry's or bananas)
    1 scoop of protein powder (or recommended amount)
    1 cup of milk

Hope this makes it edible.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    i like the body fortress stuff from walmart... its actually got a light taste and kinda actually tastes like a smoothie .... and its really cheap... try it out
  • I should have mentioned that I have tried it with water too, and that was just as bad. I will most certainly not repurchase, but I would like to use it up as I don't like wasting food.
    I will try the frozen thing, that sounds nice! I've only got a hand blender, would that work?
    Thanks for your ideas :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I should have mentioned that I have tried it with water too, and that was just as bad. I will most certainly not repurchase, but I would like to use it up as I don't like wasting food.
    I will try the frozen thing, that sounds nice! I've only got a hand blender, would that work?
    Thanks for your ideas :)

Check to see if there is any sort of guarantee on the bottle. The first protein powder I bought was a grocery store brand (Loblaws) and they had a satisfaction guarantee on the back. It was a gross vanilla flavour so I returned it 1/2 full and got my $35 back.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Add the soy milk, ice, half of banana, and teaspoon of peanut butter.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    I know what you mean. Any of the flavored stuff is disgusting!!!! You should try buy un flavored and flavoring it when a banana and some bluberries or something like that. Thats what I do. Yum!! :)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Hmm, strawberry? That just screams for a chocolate covered strawberry smoothie! Ok, here's what I would do...

1 scoop of protein poweder
    1 cup milk (or water)
    1-2 TBSP cocoa powder
    ice
  • katt0628
    katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
    I drink 2 shakes a day and I have found if you blend it with ice it helps a lot!! and of course it says colder longer which helps too.
  • Ooh I like the idea of some cacao powder! Never thought of that, but with how bitter it is in pure form it might just work! One to try out tomorrow that!

Thank you so much for all your ideas and tips! It's much appreciated. And yes, Steph, next time I am buying unflavoured, even if it means waiting for stock to come in!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I mix my protein powder into a smoothie with plain yogurt, skim milk, frozen fruit and some oatmeal. I've tried several brands with varying degrees of grossness and a smoothie hides it pretty well. I think it's the tartness of the yogurt that balances it. I always buy vanilla since it will match up with anything I want to add. Good luck :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    I've occasionally ended up with really sick tasting protein powder and it's almost always disguised by mixing it with yogurt.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Ooh I like the idea of some cacao powder! Never thought of that, but with how bitter it is in pure form it might just work! One to try out tomorrow that!

Thank you so much for all your ideas and tips! It's much appreciated. And yes, Steph, next time I am buying unflavoured, even if it means waiting for stock to come in!

Cocoa powder can be bitter, but it sounds likes your stuff is pretty sweet which would off set the bitterness.
  • I have a protein shake for breakfast everyday since I am on the go during the week. Try putting frozen or fresh fruits in it to add to the flavor as well as adding to it nutrionally. For example, I add bananas to my strawberry powder or frozen blueberries . You can also add some vanilla extract for flavor if you like. Give it a whirl...
This discussion has been closed.