Help choosing Devices to count steps and cals (

Options

Replies

• shachie34
    shachie34 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the fitbit one its small and and very light weight, also really comfortable to sleep in. It comes with a band that you strap around your wrist at nights to track your sleep, it also has an alarm, you can wear it in your pocket, on your waist or bra, its just brilliant!!!! I was so happy when I realised i could sync it to my myfitnesspal.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't get any fitbit products please. I had a flex for a year or maybe not even a year but nearly, and it died on me recently. It would charge but would not switch on. Tried resetting. Nothing at all. Really expensive and not worth it.

Is there something you would recommend? Open to all suggestions

Fitbit has insanely good customer service. My band has broken twice and they've sent me new ones no questions asked. I have a friend that washed her One and they replaced it even though it was her fault. Not long after her husband lost his One and they also replaced that no questions asked. I could go on and on with stories of fitbit customer service from friends who damaged or lost their fitbit (always their fault) and fitbit replaced the device for them at no charge. I just wanted to add this info because while yes their products can break or be faulty like any product, I've been very very impressed with how they stand behind their devices and treat their customers. I can't think of any companies that will replace their product when it no longer works because of something you've done to it or you lost it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think I will go for the low profile pedometer and just calculate my calories by wearing it. If I can just find a good pedometer that is cheap I would be happy.

You'll need one with the same 3-axis accelerometer to not only count steps, but to get calorie count you now need distance traveled and time for that distance.

They do exist, they don't sync to anything, but they are almost as expensive as the Zip.

But if you go for it, distance and time is pace, and your mass, you got calories burned.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Sadly that doesn't take in to account during the day you could have run, but walked the other half of your distance. The totals would appear to be walking, but that's not true, so calorie count lower.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Don't get any fitbit products please. I had a flex for a year or maybe not even a year but nearly, and it died on me recently. It would charge but would not switch on. Tried resetting. Nothing at all. Really expensive and not worth it.

So the other thousands of people who have had no problem with Fitbit products should toss it away just cause you have had a problem? I have had mine for almost 2 years now, never lost it, never had it break or not charge. If it did I am sure Fitbit would replace it. Did you bother to contact them?

Why tell someone to stay away from something that soooooooooooooooo many other people have had no problem with?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I do like to watch style. I move my arms a lot with work and walking but I think it may not be 100% accurate but probably still enough for what I need. Like one user just said- don't eat all the cals back which I don't want too anyway.

Are you allowed to wear something on your wrist at work? I assume by mentioning wearing scrubs you work in a hospital environment and I know where I've worked we are not allowed.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had one of the original Fitbit Pedometers. well, it finally quit. I loved it because it counted stairs.
    Don't know if the fitbit wristband does this. bit the revised fitbit one does.
    So I have it on order.

The wristband flex does not count stairs and that's one of the reasons I'm debating because I use stairs everyday at work and at home. At home I'm in a two-story condo but my first floor is on the second floor so just to get into my house I have to climb up one flight of stairs then to go out to the bedroom is a second flight of stairs. back down to walk the dog up-and-down several times a day with the dog. I don't know how much going up and down the stairs helps me or not so that's why I'm just curious to see how many stairs I do in one day that's why I'm torn because I really like the wristband idea but I kind a like the stair thing and I like the display on it(the one). Plus I'm huge hand talker when talking to patients showing them what I need them to do plus moving xray machines and patients up and down and swinging around the big C-arm xray machine whenever I am in the OR so it's a lot of heavy hand movements I'm worried that the flex will miscalculate a lot of steps for me. Not sure about the Garmin because I haven't really done any research on that but I do know that's a wrist one as well so I don't know how well it handles hand movements over the flex?
    I think I'm just can have to get my butt to the store and see them in person lol
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    Thanks. I do like to watch style. I move my arms a lot with work and walking but I think it may not be 100% accurate but probably still enough for what I need. Like one user just said- don't eat all the cals back which I don't want too anyway.

Are you allowed to wear something on your wrist at work? I assume by mentioning wearing scrubs you work in a hospital environment and I know where I've worked we are not allowed.

Yes we are allowed
  • JennsJourney30
    Options

Is there something you would recommend? Open to all suggestions

Fitbit has insanely good customer service. My band has broken twice and they've sent me new ones no questions asked. I have a friend that washed her One and they replaced it even though it was her fault. Not long after her husband lost his One and they also replaced that no questions asked. I could go on and on with stories of fitbit customer service from friends who damaged or lost their fitbit (always their fault) and fitbit replaced the device for them at no charge. I just wanted to add this info because while yes their products can break or be faulty like any product, I've been very very impressed with how they stand behind their devices and treat their customers. I can't think of any companies that will replace their product when it no longer works because of something you've done to it or you lost it.

Thank you for letting me know. I am pretty interested in fit bit but I just got I have to go see them in person I think but I think I might go with the one.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Core and I love it!! I charge it while I shower and as far as I can tell it is very accurate. From me reading reviews prior to purchase it is the most accurate of the "fancy pedometers". I use it to monitor my sleep patterns as well because I have insomnia and I need to know how certain foods and activities effect my sleep.

It does strap to the upper arm and it is grey so it's likely what OP had. Honestly I don't notice it when it's on but other's might. Most of my shirt sleeves cover it but if they don't I really don't give a flip.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think a few have mentioned the Garmin Vivofit not syncing with MFP.

Yet.

Until now.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/06/garmin-announces-partnership-with-myfitnesspal.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GarminIntoSports+(Garmin+|+Into+Sports%29

Garmin is excited to announce today a partnership with MyFitnessPal, a leading worldwide free calorie counter. By linking their Garmin Connect™ or Garmin Connect Mobile™ and MyFitnessPal accounts, vívofit and Forerunner® 15 users can now easily view calories burned and consumed and see their net count for the remainder of the day based on calorie goals set in MyFitnessPal. All other Forerunner and Edge® users will have access this summer.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wear the fitbit force they have recalled it but I love all their products. I love how I can compete against my friends it really motivates me.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, wasn't aware that the Garmin Forerunner 15 was also a daily activity tracker.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-forerunner-15-depth-review.html

It is a watch, with nice display - which is nice.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Ok, wasn't aware that the Garmin Forerunner 15 was also a daily activity tracker.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-forerunner-15-depth-review.html

It is a watch, with nice display - which is nice.

And it's also a GPS watch. I chose the Vivofit because I didn't wan to constantly charge and I'll eventually get a higher end gps watch. But if you don't mind charging, the FR15 would be a great option.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Garmin is excited to announce today a partnership with MyFitnessPal, a leading worldwide free calorie counter. By linking their Garmin Connect™ or Garmin Connect Mobile™ and MyFitnessPal accounts, vívofit and Forerunner® 15 users can now easily view calories burned and consumed and see their net count for the remainder of the day based on calorie goals set in MyFitnessPal. All other Forerunner and Edge® users will have access this summer.

Yeah, that will help. Right now I never get the "Garmin" computed calories from cycling into MFP unless I do it manually. Then again, I think Garmin overestimates. But at least the minutes and time of day will be correct. :)
  • heybales
    Options

Yeah, that will help. Right now I never get the "Garmin" computed calories from cycling into MFP unless I do it manually. Then again, I think Garmin overestimates. But at least the minutes and time of day will be correct. :)

Most of them underestimate, because they are calculating your VO2max as too low.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Most of them underestimate, because they are calculating your VO2max as too low.

UNDErestimate/ Not in my experience. They tend to OVERestimate, especially if you look at folks who have power meters.
  • WalkingFlower
    WalkingFlower Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think a few have mentioned the Garmin Vivofit not syncing with MFP.

Yet.

Until now.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/06/garmin-announces-partnership-with-myfitnesspal.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GarminIntoSports+(Garmin+|+Into+Sports%29

Calorie adjustments from Garmin to MFP exercise are syncing immediately, it is OK.
    Food from MFP to Garmin Connect is not syncing properly. You have to disconnect and then reconnect if you want to see goals or food log change. And finally, it sync one food log subgroup only (for example breakfast). I am not able to find the rule :)

I think, MFP is not announcing goals or food log changes to Garmin and/or Garmin Connect is not calling for update.
    And I can only guess, what can be the problem with that part update of food log.

Vívofit user.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Walkingflower come to the Vivofit group to discuss in our threads there. I had your same problem but got it working (although it takes a few mins to sync food and disconnecting and reconnecting sometimes expedites it as u said)
  • peoplegreet1
    peoplegreet1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is superior to all the fitness stuff out there. There customer service is impressive and really good. I highly recommend the Fitbit for inspiration in getting fit.