[Q?] Weight lifting with a mouthpiece

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
So I've been looking into maybe purchasing one of those "lifting" mouthpieces for the past couple days (note that I did not write mouthguard. If you don't know the difference, you probably can't help me anyway. But thanks for checking in!)

Before I get a bunch of "the claims from xxx about improved performance are complete BS!, I will state that I don't give a crap about that. My reasons for wanting to go that route are geared towards TMJ and general jaw issues I've been dealing with for a few years now due to a bad wisdom teeth pull out and a bike accident that shattered another tooth (and even before that my jaw was sketchy at best). When I train, especially when i go heavy and explosive - which I have been doing more of now that I'm getting into Oly lifts - I tend to clench pretty hard. So I have to focus on keeping my face relaxed. After every session my jaw feels weird and my bite is off. As a result of that, I get random twitches and keep biting my lips when I eat.

So I figured I'd give one of those training mouthpieces a go and see if it helps at all. If it happens to give me a slight performance boost? Well I certainly won't complain!

However I'm looking for input from people that HAVE used them and possibly recommendations on brands/types that would have a good cost/quality ratio without breaking the bank too much since I'm just dipping my toe here. I know of only one brand atm and it's the new age / train wicked piece that Furious Pete uses. And it's been really hard to find written reviews and I'm not a huge fan of video reviews (diagonal reader, much more time effective xP)

Thanks for your time, guys! :)

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one, and probably don't plan to, but I am interested to hear what people say about this. I remember when jaw alignment was the next big thing in sports performance, so interested to see where things have gone with this topic.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I had a girlfriend who had tmj, that didn't last long.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not familiar with them- but I know someone who uses one at my gym- I can ask him if you want.

If you have issues- and even placebo effect stuff can help- it's a big fat why not.

I don't like extra stuff- so i tend to avoid using it- but I know even the smallest thing can help. I am kind of of the mind set if you think it it MIGHT help-and it's not financially outrageous- then go for it.
  • su14ze
    su14ze Posts: 3
    Options
    I know a lot of people that use the ArmourBite lower jaw mouthpiece and are very satisfied. You can find it at www.bitetech.com.