Give "bad" food away or throw it out?

Options
hewhoiscd
hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
Hey guys and gals,

I've been taking food I no longer want to eat, due to nutritional criteria, to work for the people there to eat if they want. Lately, rationally or not, I've been feeling guilty about that. Sure they have the choice to eat it or not...but I'm providing it. But then I feel guilty about just throwing it away too. And *I'm* sure not going to eat it now, lol.

Bit of a quandary.

Replies

• niknok28
    Options
    Well.... If it were me I'd see if the foods I was getting rid of were just empty calories or if they had SOME good aspects to them.

If they are nothing but empty calories in the garbage they go they would not help anyone by eating them.

If they have some good aspects (peanut butter crackers.....etc) Then sure take them into work.

With the new business I am starting we will offer healthy foods to the staff to munch on or have for lunch to prevent work time bad eating habits.
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Donate it to a food bank!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I had a similar quandary. I first threw out everything that was already opened. Then I was stuck with what to do with the unopened "bad" stuff. I wound up donating it to the holiday food drive we had at work. I figured that for folks in need, "bad" food was better than no food. As to your co-workers, it's absolutely their choice whether or not they eat it. You didn't force it on them and besides, once you run out there won't be any more coming their way.
  • flynabster
    Options
    I have my husband take it to his work.....or I tell him to put it in his truck where I can't get to it, lol He's not watching his weight....
    I don't like throwing food away either....and I'm likely to take it out of the garbage, as long as it's still "clean".....sad, I know....

I say give it away.....
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    At my work there are always sweeties everywhere, so if I'm ever given anything like that I have no problems bringing it to work. The people there would just go buy stuff anyway, so I'm not exactly leading them astray ;)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with donating it to a food pantry. I donate once a month, with the economy you never know when it might be you who needs it.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Donate to the food bank, people would love to have a treat now and then even if they cannot afford it. So, in that case, empty calories are not the norm and appreciated. I found that when I was working, those that should not eat the "less than good for you" things, were the ones that did, including myself. But, to your credit, getting rid of it out of your house is a good thing. I have done that and am hard pressed to find snacks that are empty calories and that is good.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - donate it - either to work or to a family who has little to no income. Even "bad" food is food for those who can't afford it. Maybe you take it to a homeless shelter and see if they can use it - most are so dependent on donations that anything extra is appreciated - especially at this time of the year.

Vickie
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I chunk it. My mom is forever sending home bags and bags of candy with my daughter. I've told her a bazillion times we dont eat it, but it still comes home. I used to feel bad about it (the little voice in my head has been very much programmed to clean my plate and dont waste food), but not anymore. I'd far rather waste food than carry it around on my thighs for the next 10 years. :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Waste is waste whether it's in the garbage can or on our bodies. I feel WAY less guilty after I toss junk food in the trash can than I do after I put junk food in my mouth.

Charmagne
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The Beck Diet Solution book had good advice on this and that was you will either throw the bad food away in your body or the trash. At least with the trash you will not be hurting your body. I do agree with others though and I would first try donating it to a food bank or maybe you know of a certain family that could use it because they can't afford food on their own.
  • niknok28
    Options
    :smile:
  • happy115
    Options
    I take whatever leftovers from my baking to work - whether it be good or bad. They have a choice. When someone brings in something else, I have a choice to eat it or not either. I hate wasting food.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies :)

I don't have enough really to give to a food bank. Just a package here and there as I dig them out of my pantry. And would be the same dilemma as taking it into work.

Maybe a bonfire? Next time I go to a party with a bonfire I could just toss them all in. Wonder what that would look and smell like, lol.
  • jenna_watsonator
    jenna_watsonator Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    they were going to eat it anyway...at least save them a few dollars and give away your "naughty" food. i've been known to do this and some friends would walk away with bags of crap! just do it and don't turn back...haha
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals,

I've been taking food I no longer want to eat, due to nutritional criteria, to work for the people there to eat if they want. Lately, rationally or not, I've been feeling guilty about that. Sure they have the choice to eat it or not...but I'm providing it. But then I feel guilty about just throwing it away too. And *I'm* sure not going to eat it now, lol.

Bit of a quandary.

It depends on why specifically you are getting rid of it. My SIL was going low carb for a while and thus gave us all of her frozen meals that she thought were too high in carbs or weren't in her plan. I have a family of 6 so that forces portion control for us...One box of Texas Toast would be a horrible thing to have in the house if it were just me and hubby but with 4 kids too it can be a nice addition to dinner. It helped us financialy to have her food that weren't evil foods they just weren't a part of "her plan".
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies :)

I don't have enough really to give to a food bank. Just a package here and there as I dig them out of my pantry. And would be the same dilemma as taking it into work.

Maybe a bonfire? Next time I go to a party with a bonfire I could just toss them all in. Wonder what that would look and smell like, lol.

Any size donation is appreciated these days. Food banks are hurting. Why not schedule a pantry sweep, gather up what you are not going to keep, and drop it off. It WILL be appreciated. Open packages can be passed off to friends.

For myself, I have 2 friends who are in dire financial straits, so anything I want to hand off to them is greatly appreciated. I don't believe in throwing out food unless it is spoiled.