RANT: Micromanaging at work.

Options
Laurenloveswaffles
Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
I literally cannot take it anymore. My boss loves to micromanage every single thing. Down to when we answer the phones (car dealership) we cannot use the words "in" or "of". I just got in trouble for this today. Apparently it gives off a "bad vibe".

What are some of the worst micromanaging tactics you have been through/seen/heard of?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    once had my boss stand behind me and try to tell me word for word what to put in an email i was sending someone.

i was like wtf, if you want to write the email then you send it.

what is wrong with the words 'in' or 'of ' lol
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I have been very fortunate to have really good managers/bosses throughout my career. There was only one that I despised, but not because he micro-managed but because he was an awful human being.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nooooooo! I'd seriously have to find a new job. My boss is wonderful. He leaves me to do my job totally. Lets me take time off when needed to do things such as kids school sports day, lets me work from home. His opinion is as long as the work is done on time, he doesn't care when or where it is done. He trusts me to perform my job and I've never let him down. Means working on evenings and weekends on occassions but it's all give and take.

I really couldn't cope with that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I once worked at a soup place and the boss wanted me to ladle the soup into the bowls a certain way.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    was it the soup Nazi? lol
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    once had my boss stand behind me and try to tell me word for word what to put in an email i was sending someone.

Exactly. I have no idea why these words would even be an issue. If I had to start writing emails for someone, you can guarantee I would put some naughty words in there
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    One boss doesn't trust everyone on the team. So, he tries to get information out of those of us he does trust about what the others were doing, and where they were, etc. 3 of us 'disappeared' for 2 hours and when he finally found us he asked us why we were goofing off in the conference room. We weren't goofing off, we were working out the interface to the site we were building.
  • rustyfsu5
    rustyfsu5 Posts: 1
    Options
    My first area manager would check every ticket I wrote from her store, and if something was spelled wrong or not to "SOP" she would call me minutes later to rant on how poor I wrote the ticket. I cannot stand micromanaging either!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Soup-nazi.gif
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Exactly. I have no idea why these words would even be an issue. If I had to start writing emails for someone, you can guarantee I would put some naughty words in there
    You said "in" again. I'm getting some bad vibes from you, calm down!

Edited for spelling.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    One boss doesn't trust everyone on the team. So, he tries to get information out of those of us he does trust about what the others were doing, and where they were, etc. 3 of us 'disappeared' for 2 hours and when he finally found us he asked us why we were goofing off in the conference room. We weren't goofing off, we were working out the interface to the site we were building.

We have a "snitch" system here, too. He will pay you $100 if you snitch on other people for something they did!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options

You said "in" again. I'm getting some bad vibes from you, calm down!

Edited for spelling.

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    My boss right now has major trust issues because of a small mistake I made 3 months ago. I am an office assistant (overworked and underpaid) I deal with Travel arrangements, reception, legal, accounting, day to day tasks

I need to check in with her weekly on what I do day to day
    Every meeting I have she has to attend to make sure I am on topic
    Every project needs to be signed off by her before I turn it in
    Every mistake I make involves a speech from her that she expects more from me
    her expectations increase randomly ( i can give the same report and one week its amazing and the next its crap)
    everything is my fault even if I had no control or knowledge of the issue
    every purchase I make has to be approved by her

I miss the days when I would get a compliment for my hard work...not grey hair
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, what's wrong with "in" or "of"? I probably use those words in every sentence I speak!

I do have a great boss that usually gives us space to do work and can be encouraging without really trying. There was one time he was stressed and had me working on something, but he was hovering over my shoulder and asking all these questions. I told him to give me a minute so I can just finish it and I'll give him the results. He backed off :)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    once got *****ed at for writing 'flag cleared' instead of 'cleared flag'. or one or the other; see I can't remember because it was THAT ignorant. anyway, I am not there anymore.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I literally cannot take it anymore. My boss loves to micromanage every single thing. Down to when we answer the phones (car dealership) we cannot use the words "in" or "of". I just got in trouble for this today. Apparently it gives off a "bad vibe".

What are some of the worst micromanaging tactics you have been through/seen/heard of?

Wow your boss sounds like a complete lunatic.How the hell can 'in' or 'of' could cause bad vibes... unless you're saying "stick this in your... " or son of a ...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

This, and board notes for the rest of our co-workers. She was a horrible speller, and would stand behind me and "correct" my spelling. :explode: Do you not see all those wavy red lines under the words you "corrected" ?!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My boss right now has major trust issues because of a small mistake I made 3 months ago. I am an office assistant (overworked and underpaid) I deal with Travel arrangements, reception, legal, accounting, day to day tasks

her expectations increase randomly ( i can give the same report and one week its amazing and the next its crap)

Wow, she treats you like a child. I would have told her to go f@ck herself long ago.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options

You need a new job asap. I wouldn't be able to handle that